Fare thee well...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My employer has been putting in network upgrades and other changes this week. I logged in today and now I am blocked from this site. (Using my phone at the moment.)

What really sucks is that this policy gets pushed into my computers, and the only computers i own are work issued ones.

So.... i won't even be able to get on here from home.

I have been mortally wounded. I can tolerate some browsing of the forum on my phone but posting things will be frustrating so I suspect I won't be doing much of it anymore.

Damn the man!

Me thinks you'll be missed in the electrical forums.

Hope you can stop in from time to time.

:mug:

I don't work often, but the hospital network has blocked all the good stuff also! And even IP proxy sites are blocked.

I'm glad I'm (mostly) retired!

My employer has been putting in network upgrades and other changes this week. I logged in today and now I am blocked from this site. (Using my phone at the moment.)

What really sucks is that this policy gets pushed into my computers, and the only computers i own are work issued ones.

So.... i won't even be able to get on here from home.

I have been mortally wounded. I can tolerate some browsing of the forum on my phone but posting things will be frustrating so I suspect I won't be doing much of it anymore.

Damn the man!

Well, I was going to say you should talk to the IT admin about setting up a secondary user account without the group policy enforced.

And then I registered the "work issued" part.

We did the former for my wife.

Walker, unless they did something really odd with the software on your computer, you should be able to hit this site from your own network at home... Chances are, they blocked this site via your work firewall - and at home, you're not on their network and therefore not subject to their firewall.

Like I said, this would hold unless they're doing something really odd and, to be honest, really difficult to maintain (from their standpoint).

For the home access:

Go to a local pawn shop or mom&pop computer store.

Buy a 3-5 year old working desktop& monitor or laptop. Probably $100 or less if you talk them down.

Wipe it cleaner than your fermenter. CCleaner has a drive wiper. CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download I haven't used the Drive Wiper but their products are awesome and free.

Burn an iso of a Linux product. Given your comp restrictions I bet most anyone here would mail you a CD iso copy. Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Kubuntu, Peppermint Linux (Cloud based), etc all FREE :ban: ( You can order a copy of the install/Live disc from the companies as well.

Install your chosen linux distro. Then have fun. Ubuntu flavors come with office productivity packages as well.

Then get back on HBT through Firefox. :D

A $100 Homebrew computer.

Edit:

Another Idea:

You could dual boot the work computer you take home. This would put you at risk of angering your IT guys, but if they haven't password protected your BIOS and locked you down, you can do this.

Also, I've had fun with VirtualBox, which is a way of running an operating system inside of a program while Windows in running. I wonder if this would get around the blockage at home. My IT guy showed me how to do this at work. lol.

stratslinger said:
Walker, unless they did something really odd with the software on your computer, you should be able to hit this site from your own network at home... Chances are, they blocked this site via your work firewall - and at home, you're not on their network and therefore not subject to their firewall.

Like I said, this would hold unless they're doing something really odd and, to be honest, really difficult to maintain (from their standpoint).

Everytime I connect to the work network (via being in the office or connecting from home via vpn ), it policy updates are pushed into my machine..... sort of like anti-virus updates.

Part of the firewall is essentially baked inti my computer so that I cannot violate it policy with my machine no matter where I am.

Brew-Happy said:
For the home access:

Go to a local pawn shop or mom&pop computer store.

Buy a 3-5 year old working desktop& monitor or laptop. Probably $100 or less if you talk them down.

Wipe it cleaner than your fermenter. CCleaner has a drive wiper. CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download I haven't used the Drive Wiper but their products are awesome and free.

Burn an iso of a Linux product. Given your comp restrictions I bet most anyone here would mail you a CD iso copy. Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Kubuntu, Peppermint Linux (Cloud based), etc all FREE :ban: ( You can order a copy of the install/Live disc from the companies as well.

Install your chosen linux distro. Then have fun. Ubuntu flavors come with office productivity packages as well.

Then get back on HBT through Firefox. :D

****! I forgot I have a bookable linux dvd in a drawer at home. That should get me up and running.

****! I forgot I have a bookable linux dvd in a drawer at home. That should get me up and running.

There you go!

You can then create a bootable flash drive (after you change your boot sequence in BIOS), which will give you the ability to update your LiveUSB to new updates and software.

I might be able to get around this.

I am in a satellite office for mt company. Its small... 60 employees or so.

The ONE IT guy we have hete has been starting to ask me a lot of questions about homebrewing and wants to get into it.

I'm betting he can fix my issues. :D

I might be able to get around this.

I am in a satellite office for mt company. Its small... 60 employees or so.

The ONE IT guy we have hete has been starting to ask me a lot of questions about homebrewing and wants to get into it.

I'm betting he can fix my issues. :D

That's funny because my IT guy is getting into homebrew as well. We have some great conversations that i hope have greased the wheels. lol

If you just want a web portal at home (surfing, chatting, etc), try PuppyLinux.

Puppy Linux Community - Home

This will run on just RAM (no harddrive) and is small (~100MB).

I was going to offer to send you a laptop, but if you can boot Linux from a USB stick, you should be able to at least surf. I know there are a few options for booting different OS's into memory.

My laptop is kind of old, so the USB boot is probably a better option.

Maybe not as good as having an IT friend though. Maybe bring some homebrew in for him and let him borrow your copy of How to Brew ;)

I have always posted/read threads on my phone and iPad. I no longer keep a computer in the brewery as we all have tablets that work much better.

Thank god for the iPhone native forum app.

Wow -what a bummer.
some of us have to pay for our own computers, ISP at home, etc...

:p

by the way, Santa...when you get up and running, it's time for an avatar change (not that I would know what that's like)

Back