Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > F-I-L Asks If I Could Make Miller Lite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #31
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1520 Times on 1444 Posts
Likes Given: 52724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I am not deriding BMC style beers.
Ummm...your initial post was nothing but derision towards BMC.

Regardless, the fact remains that the style of beers that BMC fall into is a supremely difficult type of beer to make. We should all strive to become brewers of the skill level that could pull off those types of beers at that level of quality.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #32
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
Ummm...your initial post was nothing but derision towards BMC.

Regardless, the fact remains that the style of beers that BMC fall into is a supremely difficult type of beer to make. We should all strive to become brewers of the skill level that could pull off those types of beers at that level of quality.
dude Ive been arguing this point for years. This forum loves to hate on American Light lagers, but if I start bashing on extract brewers my threads get locked. Go figure.

But like you said, the light lager is one of the hardest styles of beers to make. Any flaw is immediately apparent, but HBT loves to hate the fizzy yellow

Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
I think you're confusing art with science. You're also confusing quality with redundancy. You’re confusing appreciation with indifference. I find more inspiration in a craft brewery constantly pushing the limits of innovation than in a factory beer that's success is based on mechanical reproduction of a product. BMC isn't about skill. It's about money. What makes it hard to reproduce on a homebrew level is their massive resources. They've done for beer what McDonalds has done for the hamburger. It seems people find comfort in knowing they can get the same product anywhere they happen to be.

But hey, if striving for boring and bland because of its level of difficulty floats your boat, happy sailing.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #34
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I think you're confusing art with science. You're also confusing quality with redundancy. You’re confusing appreciation with indifference. I find more inspiration in a craft brewery constantly pushing the limits of innovation than in a factory beer that's success is based on mechanical reproduction of a product. BMC isn't about skill. It's about money. What makes it hard to reproduce on a homebrew level is their massive resources. They've done for beer what McDonalds has done for the hamburger. It seems people find comfort in knowing they can get the same thing anywhere they happen to be.

But hey, if striving for boring and bland because of its level of difficulty floats your boat, happy sailing.
Seriously? I don't even know where to begin. For one, I'd like to see you try and make a clone of a BMC. Don't come back with "I don't like that swill so why should I try" crap. You don't because any flaws that are masked by the hoppiness or other flavors in your current setup would be magnified to the point of it not coming out well.

Your statement of "It seems people find comfort in knowing they can get the same thing anywhere they happen to be" applies to every single beer. You know that if you pick up a bottle of Arrogant Bastard in Chicago, it's going to be the same as a bottle on the East Coast.

And BMC is very much about skill. To think otherwise is to be an EAC, with an emphasis on the AC.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #35
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used to nag people about their beer choices, I am a confirmed beer snob through-and-through. Now I only nag my good friends. They know I'm yanking their chains and I'm not being too serious. I'm the type of person that likes to try new things - expand your horizons young man. I guess I try to impose that attitude on others sometimes.

I'm at the stage where I want to perfect recipes and procedures for the styles I enjoy. American lagers are not one of those styles, although I recognize they are very popular (duh!). After I've conquered my favorite styles, I might move on to other styles I may have less appreciation for. Expand your horizons young man!

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

may I recommended this beer and this thread.

Cream of 3 Crops
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

very clear lots of flavor and converts BMC Swill drinking only people to Home Brew

-=Jason=-

Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #37
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's perfectly fine. I'm not arguing this because I'm a huge fan of BMC. I'm not. I prefer ales. However, it irks me to see them so constantly derided. There's a reason why they are considered the examples of the BJCP style category. To simply say you can make better beer than BMC when you're talking about a stout or IPA or something other than American Light Lager is comparing apples to oranges and is based on your personal taste preferences. To truly make that statement, you'd need to make a clone and have it win out in a blind taste test. I'm not saying I'm about to do that, hell, I don't even lager yet. But until you do, show at least some respect to a well made American Light Lager.

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #38
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Quote:
And BMC is very much about skill. To think otherwise is to be an EAC, with an emphasis on the AC.
I'd urge you to consider stopping insulting people who disagree with you.

Yes, BMC is ridiculously difficult to clone. But that doesn't necessarily mean its about skill. OldUR is right, BMC is certainly about mass production and mass marketing. Both statements can be correct.

I also agree with Forrest - one of the very appealing aspects of BMC to the many people who enjoy it is that its an easy to drink alcohol delivery system. He's not a snob to point that out.

You're right, of course, that there are some people here who are ridiculous in their snobbery, but you're insulting two people who aren't, in my opinion.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #39
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Quote:
But until you do, show at least some respect to a well made American Light Lager.
That's true.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #40
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
I'd like to see you try and make a clone of a BMC . . .You don't because any flaws that are masked by the hoppiness or other flavors in your current setup would be magnified to the point of it not coming out well.
You’re right. My homebrew setup can’t match the resources of a BMC.

Quote:
Don't come back with "I don't like that swill so why should I try" crap
Well, it’s true, but my opinion has nothing to do with this augment.

Quote:
Your statement of "It seems people find comfort in knowing they can get the same thing anywhere they happen to be" applies to every single beer. You know that if you pick up a bottle of Arrogant Bastard in Chicago, it's going to be the same as a bottle on the East.
Again true, but if I limited myself to only drinking Arrogant Bastard you’d have a point. But unlike most BMC drinkers, I enjoy variety.

Quote:
And BMC is very much about skill. To think otherwise is to be an EAC, with an emphasis on the AC
As I said, I think it’s about resources not skill.

And your calling me the “C” word. Very classy!

Quick Reply