The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Explaining the moon shots to SWMBO

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #21
wild
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall St. Brewer View Post
I am 51, but SWMBO is only 37. She is reading about all the hoopla surrounding the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's setting foot on the moon and can't figure out what all the fuss is about. Now Walter Cronkite has died and she is wondering why everyone is all upset about that.
You're own fault for robbing the craddle
I remember having to walk a mile and a half to watch the landing at our church.
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #22
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
It's one of those events where you always remember where you were when it happened, like when Reagan got shot I was in study hall in high school, I was working at a jobsite during 9/11, and I was in our living room with my dad during the moon landing. If it falls into the category of "you always remember where you were", then it's a huge event.
I was three years old at the time, so I don't remember the actual event, but my father used his home movie camera to film the event on our black and white TV. The film has since degraded and is unwatchable now, but I watched it many times as I was growing up. As for the Reagan shooting, I was in math class in high school. I heard about it in between classes. I was in college when the Challenger exploded. And on 9/11, I was on duty at the fire dept. We had a medical run, and being on the ambulance that day, we were returning from the hospital and stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee. They had a TV on the wall, and everyone was standing there watching. I was watching it too as the second plane hit the second tower. So yeah, I remember where I was.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Understandable, we've had people in space off and on her entire life. We went to the moon before she was born and haven't done anything exciting since. NASA has been working on the spacestation twice as long as Apollo took, it's in LEO, and not done yet. Bush said we would go back to the moon and that it would take longer than the Gemini and Apollo programs combined. I worked on ISS and it's boring!

I find the civilian programs: SpaceX, Orbital Sciences, etc. exciting. And I curse the senators that killed the Delta Clipper program!
David,

I worked on some componets also very early on when I was GE Aerospace. Can you say who you worked for? Have you worked in the industry long? I continued with GE through Martin Marietta and Lockheed Martin. I spent time at VAFB working launch operations too. I worked at SLC6 for several months, cool place if you know anything about it.

Quick Reply