Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ever make something simple harder?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
DeadYetiBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,052
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ever make something simple harder?

*Start Self Rant*

Ok so i'm doing online college through Kaplan University, i have no bad things to say about it so far. I'm an IT major with an emphasis in Programming. I started Visual Basic this term. Not but two weeks into and the project is to Edit a pre-existing program. I could have done most of the work the other night had i done the excersizes, all i would have to do is add a dang cancel button. For the major work they eve provided me with the code i'd need.

So, in other words i made that small simple thing hard.

Next, we were suppose to DESIGN a GUI. I was sitting here racking my brains and pouring though the past 2 weeks readings trying to find the coding i needed to make the darn thing work, to no avail. Then i realized it was just DESIGNING it. I spent three hours that should have taken me 30 minutes.

THEN, yes it doesn't end their folks, I uploaded things WRONG into the drop box. So i went back and re-upped my assignments.

*End Self Rant*

Man, i need beer and sleep.... not necessarily in that order, but much preferred.

__________________
DeadYetiBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
EricK The Red
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EricK The Red's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Upstate NY (Southern Quebec)
Posts: 325
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I feel your pain...

__________________

__________________________________________

Primary 1: Cheesefood's Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale
Primary 2: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Montrachet
Primary 3: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Nottingham
Secondary: IPA
Kegged & Conditioning: Northern Brewer ESB
On tap: I.P.A. (BB Kit)
Bottled & aging: American Nut Brown Ale

On deck: Fat Tyre Clone, Irish Red & More IPA!

"Beer is a vegetable"

EricK The Red is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shafferpilot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 1,639
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Rebuilt an electronic overdrive automatic transmission once.... Ok, it's hardly a simple thing, but i missed one teenie tiny little snap ring during reassembly and after reinstalling the tranny in the truck...... I had to start completely over...... When I got the tranny back inside the shop and started the process of cleaning and prepping the room for the tear-down, I found the little snap ring on the floor under a piece of trash. good side: i knew what was wrong. bad side: installing that little booger was supposed to happen at about step 4 out of hundreds and hundreds of steps. i guess this is an example of making a hard task even harder.

__________________

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

shafferpilot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,940
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Rebuilt an electronic overdrive automatic transmission once....
I got mine apart...With full intentions of rebuilding it....Then ended up putting the whole thing in 4 boxes and taking it to the "Local Expert" who yelled at me...A LOT!
__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
DeadYetiBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,052
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Rebuilt an electronic overdrive automatic transmission once.... Ok, it's hardly a simple thing, but i missed one teenie tiny little snap ring during reassembly and after reinstalling the tranny in the truck...... I had to start completely over...... When I got the tranny back inside the shop and started the process of cleaning and prepping the room for the tear-down, I found the little snap ring on the floor under a piece of trash. good side: i knew what was wrong. bad side: installing that little booger was supposed to happen at about step 4 out of hundreds and hundreds of steps. i guess this is an example of making a hard task even harder.

Hardly a simple thing.... for me.

But i mean this could be considered something i could do everyday. It was simple, here's the scenario, design what the program will LOOK like.

"Now lenny, just pet the rabbit"
"DUH, OKAY GEORGE!"
"What happened lenny?"
"I pet it, and loved it, and squeezed it forever!"
"I only asked you to pet it you big dumb retard" *gun shot*

[Note: Sorry for the morbid version of that play i'm tired and that's what i felt like]

---

I swear if i ever do that with brewing i'll never forgive myself.... Like one day... man where's all my wort? OH YEAH! I FORGOT TO SPARGE! lol, never done that thankfully i take pride in careful detail.... well maybe not careful deatil but at least i don't brew recklessly.
__________________
DeadYetiBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 3,930
Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

As a programmer myself I can say this: my best work I'm STILL not happy with! Code is never done, there's just other code to write. I'd say the more you overthink, and the more you work something over in your mind the better it will turn out (eventually). And as a practical note, I now plan out my code in excruciating detail...lots and lots of thought goes in before any code comes out. This helps me produce clean, concise code with less bugs and "work arounds". When I am hurried with something or don't plan it out enough...it comes out looking like Microsofts last operating system!

Keep up the good work!

__________________

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale


DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
DeadYetiBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,052
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
As a programmer myself I can say this: my best work I'm STILL not happy with! Code is never done, there's just other code to write. I'd say the more you overthink, and the more you work something over in your mind the better it will turn out (eventually). And as a practical note, I now plan out my code in excruciating detail...lots and lots of thought goes in before any code comes out. This helps me produce clean, concise code with less bugs and "work arounds". When I am hurried with something or don't plan it out enough...it comes out looking like Microsofts last operating system!

Keep up the good work!

Heh, yeah well i waited till a couple hours before it was due to even start so there's problem 1. I don't plan to make a very good grade on the TOE chart the instructor wanted basically because i damn near forgot it and threw it together in 30 seconds.

As i learn code i plan to have a good work ethic about it, plan it very well, and don't wait, lol. Till then i'm going by the book and at least 1 day before it's due.
__________________
DeadYetiBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,767
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
I swear if i ever do that with brewing i'll never forgive myself.... Like one day... man where's all my wort? OH YEAH! I FORGOT TO SPARGE! lol, never done that thankfully i take pride in careful detail.... well maybe not careful deatil but at least i don't brew recklessly.
I did leave the valve open on the kettle once.. Started the sparge, walked away and came back and saw beer on the driveway. Luckily I didn't loose very much since it took a while to reach the height of the valve. But that could have been bad. Real bad.
__________________

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Denny's Evil Concoctions is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
njnear76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middlesex,NJ
Posts: 815
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
Heh, yeah well i waited till a couple hours before it was due to even start so there's problem 1. I don't plan to make a very good grade on the TOE chart the instructor wanted basically because i damn near forgot it and threw it together in 30 seconds.

As i learn code i plan to have a good work ethic about it, plan it very well, and don't wait, lol. Till then i'm going by the book and at least 1 day before it's due.
When I was in school I always started working on my programming assignments soon after they were assigned.

Just get it done and out of the way so you have time to study and have a beer. The assignments will get harder and you don't want to panic in the 11th hour. The stress is not worth it.
__________________
** Double Batch Sparge Calculator And Directions
njnear76 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shafferpilot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 1,639
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna
I got mine apart...With full intentions of rebuilding it....Then ended up putting the whole thing in 4 boxes and taking it to the "Local Expert" who yelled at me...A LOT!
Ahhh. You're one of THOSE guys :P
__________________

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

shafferpilot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to make a simple tap handle display JMass Kegerators and Keezers 8 11-26-2008 01:58 PM
In Need Of A Simple wine recipe (That I Can Make In a short space of time) Oliver Wine Making Forum 16 10-19-2008 01:38 PM
For Those Looking for Harder to Find Rhizomes gwood Hops Growing 0 04-10-2008 07:54 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS