Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ever have a credit card number stolen???
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #21
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Many of these transactions pass through with the retailer having NO access to the card number if it is an online purchase. I wouldn't be too quick to blame AHB quite yet. Not saying it isn't a possible link. Just saying a properly setup account won't even let the owner of the business see the number. That is why many places make you re-enter the number every time you make a purchase.

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #22
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

For those of you who have trouble keeping track of purchases, or just want to be able to see all account activity updated immediately, might want to try some thing like mint.com

I've been using it for a number of months now and it's been a good way to keep track of expenditures and if fraudulent purchases did show up I could spot them quickly and blow the whistle.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #23
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Many of these transactions pass through with the retailer having NO access to the card number if it is an online purchase. I wouldn't be too quick to blame AHB quite yet. Not saying it isn't a possible link. Just saying a properly setup account won't even let the owner of the business see the number. That is why many places make you re-enter the number every time you make a purchase.
Austin Homebrew doesn't work that way. They ring up the charges by hand after you submit your order. That info is directly from Forrest when I asked about something last week.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I can't even remember the last time I bought something at walmart, and I've never bought from them online.

I am leaning towards AHS.
No, it seems like when they get the hacked info, they use the stolen credit at wally world. I guess like Remilard said, there is the sheer numbers of folks shopping there, maybe that's why the rings (and in my case they said it was a ring out of rural michigan, using the credit accounts to convert to giftcards) use them, since they can be lost in amongst the many purchases.

Walmart must have a huge loss prevention department dealing with this crap on a daily basis.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #25
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No, it seems like when they get the hacked info, they use the stolen credit at wally world.
Ah... sorry.. I misunderstood.

My fraudulent chargers were $120 to Pizza Hut, $560 to some lawfirm, and about $900 to some "Online Services" company, whatever the f*ck that is.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #26
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Austin Homebrew doesn't work that way. They ring up the charges by hand after you submit your order. That info is directly from Forrest when I asked about something last week.
Hmm..... When I was involved with this stuff you were transferred https:// via secure connection (read encrypted) so the stuff was between the customer and the card service directly. I'll have to check to see if his site uses certificates.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #27
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Ah... sorry.. I misunderstood.

My fraudulent chargers were $120 to Pizza Hut, $560 to some lawfirm, and about $900 to some "Online Services" company, whatever the f*ck that is.
Seems like the law firm charge should be easy to track down.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #28
d0gbeats
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just received a small fraudulent charge on my account today. I too ordered from AHS a few weeks back. Luckily Bank of America caught it and called me.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #29
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Hmm..... When I was involved with this stuff you were transferred https:// via secure connection (read encrypted) so the stuff was between the customer and the card service directly. I'll have to check to see if his site uses certificates.
Check what you want, but here's a quote from my PM inbox from Forrest, when I asked how to pay for something that he was holding for me, but wasn't on his website, preventing me from putting it in my cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
How do I go about paying for it? It won't be in basket, so...
We process orders by hand. We will ring it up.

Forrest

Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #30
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Check what you want, but here's a quote from my PM inbox from Forrest, when I asked how to pay for something that he was holding for me, but wasn't on his website, preventing me from putting it in my cart.
They sport a verisign certificate logo but I can't get far enough into the process without creating an account. The certificate would only mean that it gets to them over an encrypted connection.

The card companies charge a premium (or used to) to do on line transactions for some reason. Cover fraud? Not sure if AHB decided to save a few bucks and do it 'by hand'? Then a rogue employee or compromised computer has access to the info.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply