Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ever have a credit card number stolen???
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Like the subject says, have you ever had a credit card number stolen?

I've already had two calls tonight, one from my credit card company, and one from an online retailer, both concerning a pair of fraudulent charges against my credit card that were posted today. Fortunately, they were caught and identified very quickly, I'm not liable, though I do have to watch the account closely for the next week or so to make sure no additional garbage shows up.

When my credit card company called about the charge, I thought that was great; they were doing their job admirably. And no, they asked for no personal information except my address to verify against my account - no other account or identification numbers were exchanged, this was not a scam (unless the scam was to verify my physical address? Pick up the phone book!).

But when the retailer called a couple hours later, that just seemed, funny. The retailer, I guess it can't hurt to say, was walmart.com. I'm not sure if they identified the charge as suspicious themselves, or if they simply were responding already to the credit card company shutting down the charge. I asked what was ordered, but they wouldn't say without a police report. I'll follow up with the credit card company on that account, and make sure they're following up with the legal side of things (or I'll begin doing so if they're not). Again, no information was asked other than "was this charge for X dollars really you?" and then "OK, we'll cancel the order and put a block on any further charges from that credit card number."

I'm a little leery about how someone came across the number. At least recently, I placed my second ever order with Northern Brewer, my first with Austin Home Brewing Supply, and my first with McMaster Carr. I've also used it at a couple other places locally lately; only one of those was a first-time kind of thing... I'm guessing it's coincidence that this popped up so soon after first ordering with the other places, but I can't help but feel at least a little suspicous.

I guess I'll feel better when the credit card company's investigation goes through and hopefully identifies the culprit...

So, does this rambling sound familiar to anyone out there? Any advice you can give me other than cancelling the card (already done), and cooperating with whatever investigation happens?

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Got the same call this morning around 8am. As it turns out the last legit charge was to Austin Homebrew. Closed account number out new card being issued.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Have you called your credit card company about this? Or is the call you received the only contact you've had? I'd have immediately called the company just to verify that it was really them that called me.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I had my Debit card/ master card cloned 2 weeks before Christmas. They cleaned out half my checking account evidently buying giftcards at a walmart in Illinois. The bank caught it and reembursed me. But had to issue me a new card which took 10 days or so. I had to file a police report, which went nowhere. They THINK I fell for a phishing scam online, but I'm not sure, I usually can smell those a mile away.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
GetLooseontheGoose
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In 08' I was in Afghanistan and the only card I brought with me was hi-jacked. Gas purchases in Louisiana. The bank caught it quickly, reimbursed me, and issued a new card. The only down side was that they had to send the card to my actual address on file. So I was without any money for the remainder of the deployment. In the desert it was ok...basically you eat at the chow hall for free. However when I was in route home it sucked!

I think it will eventually happen to anyone, some more than others

Goose

Conical:Red Chair Clone
Tapped: Bavarian Wheat, Crazy Train IIPA

Bottled: nothing

Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Have you called your credit card company about this? Or is the call you received the only contact you've had? I'd have immediately called the company just to verify that it was really them that called me.
Good point, don't know why I didn't think of it myself! I just called, and the call was definitely legit.

Jafo28, we may have to compare notes when all is said and done, see if there's any more commonality than a recent charge to AHBS.

The only other thing that gets me about this? I'm an IT guy. I'm supposed to be savvy about this kind of thing. I feel kind of dumb, though I honestly can't think of anything careless I might have done with this info to put myself at risk. And, considering I've bought stuff online off and on over the past 15 years or so, I guess one something like this was bound to happen sooner or later...

Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
GetLooseontheGoose
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't beat yourself up about it. It could have been comprimised anywhere, as for me an investigation was conducted which found an employee at the commasary was collecting and selling the card information.

The good thing is your bank will reimburse you.

Goose

Conical:Red Chair Clone
Tapped: Bavarian Wheat, Crazy Train IIPA

Bottled: nothing

Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6342 Times on 5490 Posts
Likes Given: 854

I ordered from a small on-line brew store a couple years ago. A couple days later, Capital One called and asked about several suspicious on-line charges (mountain bike in Pennslyvania, perfume from New York, some fancy restaruant in Boston, and some boat charge in Florida).

We talked about all of the charges and back-tracked it to the LHBS as being the last legit charge.

They cancelled the bad purchases, and changed my card number. I contacted the store, and they admitted that they're on-line server was hacked.

I ended up not losing anything. I'm grateful for how Capital One handled it.

"What's in your wallet!"

Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post

The only other thing that gets me about this? I'm an IT guy. I'm supposed to be savvy about this kind of thing. I feel kind of dumb, though I honestly can't think of anything careless I might have done with this info to put myself at risk. And, considering I've bought stuff online off and on over the past 15 years or so, I guess one something like this was bound to happen sooner or later...
Yeah, I'm usually the guy figuring out the phishers and letting other folks know...That's why I find it hard to belive it happened to me online...But the minute you hand the card over to some in a store or worse a resteraunt where it is out of your site, you're hosed.

I'm convinced it happened about a week before when I handed it over at the drive through at Taco Bell. I misjudged the cash I had for my order, and just passed the card through...and had one of those quesy feelings which I promptly dismissed and forgot about....until I got the bank call.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah happened to me last year. Three charges showed up on my debit card as pending, called BOA right away (was from my wife's card). Only one (Kohl's online) went through.

BoA asked me if I had any reason to think that my card had been compromised, I did not. They sent me an affidavit to sign and issued a new card. Charges were revered in
I think it happens more than you think. Might be that another retailer's record have been compromised or maybe just card number fishing. Bank handled it smoothly. I make sure I check my account everyday because if they cleaned me out the bank would fix it but I would be SOL for 2 days.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply