Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ever get sick of beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykees View Post
I think its just palate fatigue. Ive only drank two beers in the last 4 weeks. I might drink one this weekend. But probably not. Im just on a bit of a hiatus myself

I hope so. I have a bit of money invested in this brewing habit, and my friends and schedule kind of revolve around beer and brewing. I may have simply over-extended myself and got tired of feeling one-dimensional. Friends and family associate me with beer, and I hate the thought of being labeled as an alcoholic since there is a long family history of it on both sides.

Either way, a hiatus is where I am at. But I have multiple plans tonight and tomorrow night (previously arranged) that both involve being at a bar. Oh well, I guess I will see how strong my resolve is tonight...

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Sometimes I feel that way. I don't drink a lot but I spend a lot of time reading about beer/brewing, brewing, writing about beer/brewing, thinking about beer/brewing. On occasion I feel like it's too much and I just go think about or do something else. I might enjoy liquor or wine for a couple weeks and come back fresh and excited to try something new or brew.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A few years back (almost 3) I took a trip to New Orleans to see the this years (2012-2013) Super Bowl champs, The Patriots play the Saints. I smoked so many friggin butts and drank way to much of everything, (mostly Huge Ass Beers To Go), that by the end of the 3 day trip I felt ill. Since then I have not touched a cigarette (I had smoked close to 20 years)...

So, I guess drinking too much and getting sick of beer, also made me sick of cigarettes.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

There have been periods when I don't brew or drink much beer. I'm in one of those right now, haven't had a beer in almost two weeks. But I'm bottling my blackberry cordial today, switching off can be a great work-around.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Dixon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No, only sick because of beer...

Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
BillBeer247
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm getting to that point, i keep saying im going to take a month or 2 break but it never happens

Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

Variety is the spice of life. Have a glass of ice water, you'l get back to beer eventually.
Regards, GF.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Agree with most on here, give yourself a break and find a new hobby. While I try to brew 2-4 times a month to keep my taps full and constantly on HBT and designing new recipes. I also have many other hobbies to distract me from brewing (some end up being brewing related). I love to program and tinker so I work with android and make apps. Started working with microprocessors and working on a control system for my brewing (but also making other little gadgets) But my biggest secondary hobby is cooking. Ive been cooking since I was 7 (probably why I love brewing so much) and try to invite friends over every weekend to cook some new recipe and hang out. If you are tired of beer, find a new hobby to take a break for awhile and then just let it come back naturally. Havent had to do it with brewing yet, but I often take 4-6 month breaks from programming (gets too tedious and time consuming) and then just one day open up my editor and start working again. Keep believing and youll enjoy beer again

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I know how you feel. I never got sick of beer but i don't drink it all year long. mostly in the summer. in the winter i switch to something else. What i did get tiered of was the actual brewing process and ended up taking an 8 yr break. Now i am back and enjoying it again but i only brew once a month just to keep exciting.

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Thanks for the input all. I am taking a (much deserved) break, mostly. Only having a beer one or two days a week. I am taking this opportunity to discover the hard stuff again and experiment with mixed drinks that I never would have considered before. Mostly though, it is a break for my health and well-being. I need to shed a few lbs and consider my long-term health. The extra weight makes my asthma worse and that makes life suck. I have 4 daughters so a new hobby is unlikely at this time.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Quick Reply