The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ethics Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #251
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Subsailor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Posts: 1,182
Liked 499 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Here's one that I have been struggling with. I have always worked a white-collar job.

When I need something from someone blue-collar (maintenance, food service, tradesman, taxi driver etc.) without even knowing it I find myself beginning to talk in a thick New York accent, particularly if the other party has one him/her self. I know I am trying to build a better rapport to get better service off the bat, perhaps under false pretenses. Is this technique unethical, especially considering I seem to do it automatically.
My Mom was raised in West Virginia/Ohio and my Dad in Michigan. I learned growing up when visiting the respective releatives how to adopt and speak with the local dialects/jargon, so I am fluent in Mid-west and Hillbilly and use it as needed.
__________________
SSBN 618 G
SSBN 641 B
SSBN 658 G
SSBN 641 B
Subsailor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #252
m_c_zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 717
Liked 121 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Another evil tactic that I'm totally telling my future sons, hang out at gay bars.
Though this is a good tactic in theory, if you're any bit decent looking you will get hit on and some gay guys today at these clubs are very aggressive. They do not like being told no, they take it as a challenge. I have been to a few with an ex girlfriend in the past and have even been groped. It's weird to realize what women have to deal with all the time.
__________________
m_c_zero is offline
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #253
b-boy
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,263
Liked 378 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
My Mom was raised in West Virginia/Ohio and my Dad in Michigan. I learned growing up when visiting the respective releatives how to adopt and speak with the local dialects/jargon, so I am fluent in Mid-west and Hillbilly and use it as needed.
Most of my relatives are from West Virginia/Ohio/Pennsylvania area too (the sticks around Wheeling, Steubenville, Weirton), so I am also fluent in Hillbilly.

My grandfather had a still when he was younger. Told some great stories. People from that part of the country are very interesting. I enjoy them a lot.
__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
Subsailor Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #254
b-boy
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,263
Liked 378 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Better than you would believe. Funny story, I have a friend (now married) of whom I ALMOST dated in college. We had a couple dates set up, but either weather or class or any number of things kept it from happening. Years later, maybe two years ago, I admitted to her the feminism thing. Now, we had been friends for close to ten years at this point. She thought about it and said "wow, thats a pretty good one. I think I probably would have got with you even if I knew it was a line"

I told her she was a lousy women's studies major at that point. She punched me in the arm. When I told my now-wife that I did that in college she said "I've heard way worse.... at least you learned something"

But yeah, works like gangbusters. Another evil tactic that I'm totally telling my future sons, hang out at gay bars. Straight women hang out at gay bars to get away from guys like you. Corner 'em where they hide!
Well it's too late for me, but I have 2 college aged kids. I will pass this along to them. I'll help keep the dream alive.
__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #255
janson745
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Metro Detroit - SE Oakland Co., MI
Posts: 253
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

So my story goes a little like this. My wife had been happily employed by a large bank as an assistant manager for over a year. She was consistently giving way more than was required. Going above and beyond. Quite the stellar employee if you ask me... All along, the manager has been doing many questionable practices - all in attempts to gain business. Nothing illegal, however, definitely breaking company policy. My wife has kinda turned a blind eye to it since it wasn't really hurting her.

Well, as of 2 weeks ago, their bank was audited (basically corporate big wigs come and inspect everything) and they didn't do well. The manager threw my wife unseen the bus on a few things - to the point that she was given disciplinary action that resulted in 1 more mistake, shed be fired. Fast forward to this past Tuesday, the manager messes up and called the area manager and said it was my wife's fault. Ipso facto, my wife got fired Thursday.

My question is, would it be unethical to call the company Ethics and Compliance Hotline to shed light on everything that the said manager is doing, which will inevitably result in disciplinary action for the manager? Solely to get back at her for what she did to our family...

__________________
SportsBook Brewing

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty
Carboy: Empty
Bottle Conditioning:
Bottled/Enjoying: Aussie Light, Hoptimus Prime IIPA, Two Hearted Clone
Keg #1: CinnaMeg Cider #2: Irish Red (3)
RIP Irish Red Ale (1,2), Caramel Apple Cider (1,2), Pumpkin Ale, Razzberry Wheat
Coming (not so) soon: Lemon-Lime Hefe, Smoked Porter
KCCO
janson745 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #256
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: auburn, georgia
Posts: 731
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janson745
So my story goes a little like this. My wife had been happily employed by a large bank as an assistant manager for over a year. She was consistently giving way more than was required. Going above and beyond. Quite the stellar employee if you ask me... All along, the manager has been doing many questionable practices - all in attempts to gain business. Nothing illegal, however, definitely breaking company policy. My wife has kinda turned a blind eye to it since it wasn't really hurting her.

Well, as of 2 weeks ago, their bank was audited (basically corporate big wigs come and inspect everything) and they didn't do well. The manager threw my wife unseen the bus on a few things - to the point that she was given disciplinary action that resulted in 1 more mistake, shed be fired. Fast forward to this past Tuesday, the manager messes up and called the area manager and said it was my wife's fault. Ipso facto, my wife got fired Thursday.

My question is, would it be unethical to call the company Ethics and Compliance Hotline to shed light on everything that the said manager is doing, which will inevitably result in disciplinary action for the manager? Solely to get back at her for what she did to our family...
It should have been taken care of when it was happening, while she was in good light with the company and still employed. Now it will look like a disgruntled employee just trying to project the blame on someone else. Unethical, I don't believe so but she may come off as petty. Sorry for your situation.
__________________
nasty_rabbit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #257
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 6,619
Liked 1547 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

Default

I just had a great minor episode last night that fits the thread perfectly.


My shoemaker/shoe repair man in my neighborhood is a fixture. I'd say about 60 years old, works hard, has a whole social scene in his shop... real character... what most people think of (and should) when they think New York. So I go to pick up my sneaker that had a seperated sole and he says $5. Note that when I dropped them off he had said $6. I'm saving a buck here, but I figure that perhaps the repair wasnt as extensive as he originally thought.

I hand him a $20, and he goes about making me change, a ten and five ones.


So... being that he's always so pleasant and does such a good job I said "hey why dont you put one of the one dollar bills back in the drawer." He does so, all smiles and thank yous. I walk out feeling good that I maintained a business relationship and got a good deal on the repair.

Reach into my pocket to buy a seaweed and rice sandwich (thank you FamilyMart Japanese store!) and there are $15 in there. He had almost given me $16, short changing himself a buck.

I am rethinking my initial reaction now. Last night I thought "awesome! He got only the amount he quoted, but he thinks he got the amount he quoted and a tip! We both win!" Now Im not so sure. Now I think that while I obviously did nothing to cheat him that I should still walk several blocks from my house (if not today than the next time I am on Broadway) and explain and give him the dollar...

What do you think?

__________________


You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

CreamyGoodness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #258
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 6,619
Liked 1547 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janson745 View Post
So my story goes a little like this. My wife had been happily employed by a large bank as an assistant manager for over a year. She was consistently giving way more than was required. Going above and beyond. Quite the stellar employee if you ask me... All along, the manager has been doing many questionable practices - all in attempts to gain business. Nothing illegal, however, definitely breaking company policy. My wife has kinda turned a blind eye to it since it wasn't really hurting her.

Well, as of 2 weeks ago, their bank was audited (basically corporate big wigs come and inspect everything) and they didn't do well. The manager threw my wife unseen the bus on a few things - to the point that she was given disciplinary action that resulted in 1 more mistake, shed be fired. Fast forward to this past Tuesday, the manager messes up and called the area manager and said it was my wife's fault. Ipso facto, my wife got fired Thursday.

My question is, would it be unethical to call the company Ethics and Compliance Hotline to shed light on everything that the said manager is doing, which will inevitably result in disciplinary action for the manager? Solely to get back at her for what she did to our family...
I'm sorry for your situation as well. I wish I had good advice, but I dont
__________________


You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

CreamyGoodness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #259
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
 
mcbaumannerb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,975
Liked 3707 Times on 2023 Posts
Likes Given: 12643

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I just had a great minor episode last night that fits the thread perfectly.


My shoemaker/shoe repair man in my neighborhood is a fixture. I'd say about 60 years old, works hard, has a whole social scene in his shop... real character... what most people think of (and should) when they think New York. So I go to pick up my sneaker that had a seperated sole and he says $5. Note that when I dropped them off he had said $6. I'm saving a buck here, but I figure that perhaps the repair wasnt as extensive as he originally thought.

I hand him a $20, and he goes about making me change, a ten and five ones.


So... being that he's always so pleasant and does such a good job I said "hey why dont you put one of the one dollar bills back in the drawer." He does so, all smiles and thank yous. I walk out feeling good that I maintained a business relationship and got a good deal on the repair.

Reach into my pocket to buy a seaweed and rice sandwich (thank you FamilyMart Japanese store!) and there are $15 in there. He had almost given me $16, short changing himself a buck.

I am rethinking my initial reaction now. Last night I thought "awesome! He got only the amount he quoted, but he thinks he got the amount he quoted and a tip! We both win!" Now Im not so sure. Now I think that while I obviously did nothing to cheat him that I should still walk several blocks from my house (if not today than the next time I am on Broadway) and explain and give him the dollar...

What do you think?
Honestly I think he said yes to keeping an extra buck to make you feel better. He had $15 in hand from the outset and pretended to put one back. If he's that good a cobbler/character I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to repay him with more business.
__________________

Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

mcbaumannerb is offline
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #260
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,624
Liked 2614 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
I just had a great minor episode last night that fits the thread perfectly.

My shoemaker/shoe repair man in my neighborhood is a fixture. I'd say about 60 years old, works hard, has a whole social scene in his shop... real character... what most people think of (and should) when they think New York. So I go to pick up my sneaker that had a seperated sole and he says $5. Note that when I dropped them off he had said $6. I'm saving a buck here, but I figure that perhaps the repair wasnt as extensive as he originally thought.

I hand him a $20, and he goes about making me change, a ten and five ones.

So... being that he's always so pleasant and does such a good job I said "hey why dont you put one of the one dollar bills back in the drawer." He does so, all smiles and thank yous. I walk out feeling good that I maintained a business relationship and got a good deal on the repair.

Reach into my pocket to buy a seaweed and rice sandwich (thank you FamilyMart Japanese store!) and there are $15 in there. He had almost given me $16, short changing himself a buck.

I am rethinking my initial reaction now. Last night I thought "awesome! He got only the amount he quoted, but he thinks he got the amount he quoted and a tip! We both win!" Now Im not so sure. Now I think that while I obviously did nothing to cheat him that I should still walk several blocks from my house (if not today than the next time I am on Broadway) and explain and give him the dollar...

What do you think?
I say the best thing to do is to just keep giving him your business if he does quality work and maybe next time actually hand him a tip instead of asking him to take it from your change, a couple bucks or whatever seems fair.
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethics? GySgtLynn General Beer Discussion 31 11-08-2011 03:50 AM
Keg Ethics Orfy Equipment/Sanitation 0 11-11-2007 08:28 AM
Business Ethics.... jjasghar General Chit Chat 28 05-25-2007 05:53 PM
Keg Ethics Sumta Equipment/Sanitation 11 05-04-2006 04:20 AM