Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ethics Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
CreamyGoodness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1776 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 3021

Default Ethics Thread

Someone recently posted a question as to whether or not "cyber-squatting" or tapping into the internet bandwidth of another without asking was unethical. This got me thinking that there are so many situations we come across every day that require a rapid decision, and some of these situations might leave us puzzled as to whether we have done the right thing in the end.

So the guidelines are simple. Either ask an earnest ethical question... nothing heady (I would REALLY rather this not spiral towards religion or politics)... or answer earnestly the question posed by someone else. This can be hypothetical, a current dilemma, or "I have this friend who..."

I'll start.

Is it unethical to laugh at the overheard conversation of a stranger, if it was conducted in public and was objectively hilarious? Let the table next to you that that was funny, or choke into your napkin?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1988 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 2809

You are in a crowded place. Somebody is speaking louder than necessary and you're not deaf. You pick up on what they are saying even though you didn't plan to but find yourself listening. Hey! If they crack a joke and you laugh? Why would that be unethical?

It's just human nature to eaves drop. If they were having a quiet conversation and you needed a stethoscope to hear them, that would be a bit creepy and unethical.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Here's another one for you. Is it wrong to despise fat people who use rascal wheelchairs at the grocery store when the very thing they need the most is a walk? This argument assumes they are not handicapped of course.

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

People Like This 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6346 Times on 5493 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Is it ethical to cheat on an ethics training test?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Is it ethical to cheat on an ethics training test?
Yeah, you're good to go!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Ok i have one... I have been traveling for work since August. Every week i fly to Chicago. We work in hotel meeting rooms. I always take the soaps, lotions, etc that are left out at the end of the day and stick them in my bag.

Just before Xmas time i took a GARBAGE BAG FULL of lotions, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, tooth brushes, tooth pastes, mouth wash, etc to the local homeless shelter.

Am i a stealing if hotels set them out for us to use but i take them to donate to the homeless?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
CreamyGoodness
Recipes 

I would personally say that so long as you arent taking more than is set out for you (ie claiming falsely that you have used what was set out and require more), than you are using amenities that are included in the price of your room. As such, you are free to keep and use as you please.

The fact that you brought them to a shelter is good on you.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

jhoneycutt Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bought an extra propane tank from HD. The gal charged me the price of a refill. I told her that was not the correct price. She double checked it again on her cashier machine and said yes this is the correct price. I ended up getting the tank for probably 15 bucks less than it should have been.

Carried it to my car, felt guilty and pulled up to the outdoor garden section of HD. I talked to her again and said I'm really sure this is not the correct price for a new tank. She assured me it was. She was wrong, I felt a bit guilty. But I do own the tank now. I felt pretty crappy about the whole situation but in the end took the tank home for a bargain price.

What should I have done differently?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
CreamyGoodness
Recipes 

I personally think Dan did all he could. This reminds me of the time I bought groceries and realized that an onion I planned to purchase was at the bottom of my reusable bag... and wasnt on the receipt. I walked 2 blocks back to the store with the onion and explained what happened. I forget if they rung it up or let me have the $0.30 onion... but I did get a smile and a thank you.

Dan Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CG, great thread.

Aren't you up a little late tonight. I don't mean past your bedtime kinda thing. It's just most of the posts/threads I see from you are during the day. Vacation?

Quick Reply