Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ethics of customer mailing lists

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

As long as you are being totally fair and honest, I don't see a problem. I was going to suggest a simple one-time email mentioning that they will not be sent more unless they want to go to the website and sign up.

Or just place them on the list with an honest explanation of what's going on and instructions for opting out.

I don't have a problem with introductory emails if the opt out is for real and it's easy to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I work with mailing lists frequently through my company. I wouldn't just add them in and send it. People get annoyed easily, plus no one wants to click links (even just to opt out) anymore due to all the email verification as mentioned before plus potential virus's. People fear even opening something that's not from a known email to them.

I would do as someone else suggested and opt them in if they order from here forward.

Having said this...I think your customer base of homebrewers is much more honed in than most other businesses. I honestly feel your reputation would keep people from being upset by you adding them.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Thanks, That's what I'm hoping also. It's not like buying a toaster on Amazon and then getting all kinds of solicitation about other products out of the blue. I'm still thinking about it. The thing is, the opt-in form is right on my front page so I'm hoping anyone that visited after I added it has the chance to decide. The emails that I thought about adding in were people who purchased prior to the mailing being set up and the form being added.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2781 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Just signed up for your mailing list. Send one email with a link inviting people to join mailing list.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #25
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

^I agree that's the way to go. I would respect and value a supplier much more than them sending recurring unsolicited emails. Even if I have the ability to opt-out easily.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #26
Brek81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From a fellow business owner perspective:
I dont see anything wrong with sending the newsletter/promotions out as long as they are:1) Identified as to who is sending the information 2)Unique and pertainant information 3)not terribly frequent (we follow up 3-4 times a year) 4)make it easy to opt out

from a conservative perspective:

i would say it would be ok to make a 1 time announcement of the newsletter to past customers, and give them an 'opt in' link

Quick Reply