Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Energy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
but they must have a better reason for it that they use in public
They "support" it by making sure the fees and the amount of work it takes to activly actually tget it approved is so much trouble that its not worth it. Oh you can do it- If you are a millionaire.

But i am actively working on it. Its just decent panels or a wind turbine are expensive to get.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
In Anchorage they are extremely opposed to any Energy producing oppertunities. We have a valley they has a constant stream of wind and aenough area to create a wind farm that could produce enough energy for 100K people or 1/3 of Anchorages population.

The local Electrician union has greatly opposed it because its unfeaseable. In reality it will lower cost and lower thier revenue. Any electricity producing apparatus installed in a residential home would have to go through 10-25K$ in approval fees.

Freaking sucks since electricity is costing me 2-350 a month

We are finally getting a wind farm around here. It was a big battle for years. Believe it or not it was the ENVIRONMENTALISTS that were fighting it tooth and nail. The wind farm is very near the Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, and they were afraid a few ducks and geese would get chewed up. At least that was their argument, who knows what their real problem was.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Friggin sheep... follow the leader is all!

I would imagine the lack of pollution from a wind farm would far exceed the loss of a few water fowl.

Sheesh!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #24
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
In Anchorage they are extremely opposed to any Energy producing oppertunities. We have a valley they has a constant stream of wind and aenough area to create a wind farm that could produce enough energy for 100K people or 1/3 of Anchorages population.

The local Electrician union has greatly opposed it because its unfeaseable. In reality it will lower cost and lower thier revenue. Any electricity producing apparatus installed in a residential home would have to go through 10-25K$ in approval fees.

Freaking sucks since electricity is costing me 2-350 a month
It may be something you could look into anyway.

There are many "grid States". IL is one.

What's a "grid State" you ask?

It's where you own an energy source, such as a windmill, to power your home. If you "create" more energy than you can store...(here's the good part)...the electric company has to pay you for it. That's right, you sell them energy. If you produce enough you don't get a bill from them every month...you get a check!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #25
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yep, same here... although electricity is so cheap here that it would take a LONG time to come out ahead. As I said earlier, even with the gov paying around half the cost of the installation ($8000) it will take over 7 years to recoup my expenditure if my consumption and the rates stay the same. Without the subsidy, it would take twice that long.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #26
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
We are finally getting a wind farm around here. It was a big battle for years. Believe it or not it was the ENVIRONMENTALISTS that were fighting it tooth and nail. The wind farm is very near the Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, and they were afraid a few ducks and geese would get chewed up. At least that was their argument, who knows what their real problem was.
Have you ever checked out this site...
http://www.renewwisconsin.org/windfa...wisconsin.html

Personally I think wind turbines are great to look at but they can be pretty noise, that is probably one reason for the opposition....

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #27
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yes, but apparently not noisy enough to scare away the birds.... for some reason.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #28
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is just to bad that there isn't as much opposition to corn bases ethanol...hell it is being blamed for the increase of the Golf of Mexico dead zone. I guess marine life doesn't rank as high as water foul and bats or could it just be the $$$$...naaaaa

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 AM   #29
mrfocus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77
Yes, but apparently not noisy enough to scare away the birds.... for some reason.
Fuh - nny!

We actually have huge fields of wind turbines in the Eastern part of Quebec. A lot of the local residents complain about the noise, but I think it's the fact that they don't like the sight of a bunch of them close to the coastal regions (think tourism).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihophead
It is just to bad that there isn't as much opposition to corn bases ethanol...hell it is being blamed for the increase of the Golf of Mexico dead zone. I guess marine life doesn't rank as high as water foul and bats or could it just be the $$$$...naaaaa
Or seals, the other way around. I imagine the NE has a similar problem to Eastern Quebec where a bunch of the communities relied on Cod fishing as the main producer of their economy. With the amount of fishing that had been going on, there were certainly going to be some problems. Add to that the fact that people are trying to protect SEALS, who consume a huge amount of fish (think cod) and whose population has tripled in 30 years. They need protection from what exactly? Extinction, don't think so. They're only protected cause they "look cute" when they're young... Heck, reducing their population could actually help save a few other marine species while providing work (hunting the seals, and fishing the fish that the seals will eat less of). Oh, when I have the money I'm buying a seal fur coat...

(One of the websites that I found this evening: http://www.harpseals.org/hunt/pelts.html mentions no reason to actually "save" the seals, just that they're fur is highly used in high end clothing brands)
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
That wouldn't actually be too bad. That place is a friggin' nightmare in the fall and spring. There are so many geese and ducks that they actually darken the sky at peak flying times.

Quick Reply