Ender's Game Movie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this with my young one last night. Very good movie and fairly accurate to the book. Yeah, they had to do a bit of condensing, but overall I think they captured the spirit of Ender and the basic underlying theme of the book.

Also, as a word of warning, I am aware of the controversy surrounding the author, and I implore you to ignore that and focus on this book/movie. For obvious reasons.

Read the books years ago and loved them. This looks interesting.

As for as the author, if I worried about the how I disagree with so many actors and actresses spouting out their opinions, I'd never watch a movie again.
I plan on seeing this one soon.

Yes!! I read this book in high school, some # of years ago, and then read it again about 6 months ago. Was elated when I heard they were making a movie out of this one. Went and watched the special showing of this one on Halloween by myself, SWMBO didn't want to go to the late showing.

Will own this one when it comes out on BR/DVD

I agree that they did a great job of condensing the book into the film. The ending was an obvious setup for a sequel and was the biggest departure from the book. I also liked the use of special effects. They did what was necessary to make the story work without dominating the story. Bonzo was a hoot!

I agree about the ending. I'm not sure there would be a second movie or series, but we'll see. The small difference at the end "kind of" sets up the next book. I think it was Speaker for the Dead. The problem is the next books are VERY different than Ender's Game. Whole different setting and tone.

My daughter loved the movie and wanted to read it but she's neck deep in several other books and asked if I would read it to her instead. I tried to explain how she would be more efficient if she just read it herself, but I think she just wants dad to read to her again. She also has a problem with reading too fast. It's hard to do when you are reading out loud.

IMO they didn't show enough of Peter and his problems, but it was a small thing. You get the gist from what little they show.

I loved the books so much that I'm nervous about seeing the movie. It's hard not to be disappointed by a movie translation of a beloved book.

I'll probably break down and see it anyway. Maybe if I go in with low expectations, it won't be so bad. :p

Glad to hear y'all liked it though, and that it didn't deviate too much from the source material.

I've only read the one book and have no desire to read any of the others or see the movie. I found it to be ungripping.

About the only thing I find interesting about it is that it's one of the few SciFy commentaries on the future of drone warfare.

Haven't read the book, saw the movie. Liked it. From the comments above sounds like I need to read the book.

Art transcends the artist. HBT was started to focus on the finer point of Home Based Terrariums but now look where we are at.

I kinda still worry about it. Loved the book, and a few of the sequals, I especially like the Bean stuff. I worry about this movie since there is quite a lot of slower moving setup as well as other bits which to me make the story great where in a movie would be dull. Tactics, military training, etc (this isn't Full Metal Jacket) I have been hoping this would not be overshadowed by effects. You all make me actually want to watch it in theater rather than waiting. I do worry since I know Card is very religious(Mormon) in his books, though didnt notice it as much in the ender saga.

Ooh, can't wait to see this one! Read the books and really liked them.

Entertaining side note: Man of the house has this habit of naming our appliances and gadgets. The coffee roaster is named Bean, the grinder is named Ender.

I kinda still worry about it. Loved the book, and a few of the sequals, I especially like the Bean stuff. I worry about this movie since there is quite a lot of slower moving setup as well as other bits which to me make the story great where in a movie would be dull. Tactics, military training, etc (this isn't Full Metal Jacket) I have been hoping this would not be overshadowed by effects. You all make me actually want to watch it in theater rather than waiting. I do worry since I know Card is very religious(Mormon) in his books, though didnt notice it as much in the ender saga.

There isn't much allegory that I can find in the Ender books. I think Card mostly deals with the moral and ethical dilemmas in that book and subsequent Ender books.

That said, much of the tactical stuff is passed over, and a lot of the battles are skipped. There is just no way to do all of that in a movie without dragging it down and pulling attention away from the obvious bigger questions.

I think they did a good job with giving enough of that to give you an idea, and they really condensed the timeframe in battle school. I almost wish they could have shown that more time goes by, but I think they way they did it you really get a sense of time running out.

Kittyfeet said:
Ooh, can't wait to see this one! Read the books and really liked them.

Entertaining side note: Man of the house has this habit of naming our appliances and gadgets. The coffee roaster is named Bean, the grinder is named Ender.

My dog's name is Bean :)

I saw it with the kids last weekend when it first came out. I have read the books, they had not. We all thought it was a good movie. It stayed close enough to the book for me but a person who has not read the books can also understand what's going on. The books are always better, your imagination is better than any movie screen. :)

Back