Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Elder Scrolls Skyrim

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #101
Diaperload
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just got Skyrim the other day and I'm hooked. I was somewhat disappointed in myself though. After being hooked on FFXI for 5 years I had told myself, "never another rpg." At least Skyrim isn't online so I feel a bit better about that.

I'm up to level 12 and still dying all the time. I have pretty simple combat techniques. Dark magic in 1 hand. Healing magic in the other hand. Works OK but I think I gotta change my strategy. Dying way too much. See a giant...oops I'm dead. See an Ice Wolf...oops I'm dead. Go in a dark cave...oops I'm dead. You get the picture.

I've been willy nilly with my perks. Most of them I've put in destruction. I've put a few in smithing and lockpicking. I regret the lockpicking already.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #102
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I haven't seen that you need any lockpicking perks. I don't have any, and can pick "master" locks after no more than 5 or 6 tries. Just buy plenty of lock picks. When I was a lower level the only way I could successfully kill giants was to get on a rock where they couldn't reach me, then shoot them till dead. You could probably do the same with your destruction magic though.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #103
weagle05
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaperload View Post
I'm up to level 12 and still dying all the time. I have pretty simple combat techniques. Dark magic in 1 hand. Healing magic in the other hand. Works OK but I think I gotta change my strategy. Dying way too much. See a giant...oops I'm dead. See an Ice Wolf...oops I'm dead. Go in a dark cave...oops I'm dead. You get the picture.

I've been willy nilly with my perks. Most of them I've put in destruction. I've put a few in smithing and lockpicking. I regret the lockpicking already.
Have you tried using both hands to cast the destruction spell (especially if you have the perk) or using a ward spell in the second hand to cut down on damage taken?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #104
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have the dual casting perk. I use it when I can if I feel like I won't need the healing.

I've tried the ward but it seems to eat through mp (magika) pretty fast. I've been trying 2 new techniques. I've been toying with conjuring. Conjur the dog and run away to a safe distance....re-summon, rinse, repeat. Kinda slow but it works.

2nd method is dual cast til low on mp then run away til it recharges. Works ok.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #105
viking73
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just started playing yesterday. Love the game!

I've been running a battle-mage, there isn't much that can take a gout of fire(our other appropriate element) for softening up, followed with a gentle thwack from a superior mace. The heavy armor helps too.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #106
TMet
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking73
Just started playing yesterday. Love the game!

I've been running a battle-mage, there isn't much that can take a gout of fire(our other appropriate element) for softening up, followed with a gentle thwack from a superior mace. The heavy armor helps too.
If you're in a bar and you get challenged to a drinking match do it. It's relevant to HBT.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #107
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMet

If you're in a bar and you get challenged to a drinking match do it. It's relevant to HBT.
*potential spoiler*

Why just because you wander around the countryside wasted?

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #108
viking73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMet

I'm too cheap at this point in the game to spend money on booze when I can just raid a dungeon for it!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #109
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking73

I'm too cheap at this point in the game to spend money on booze when I can just raid a dungeon for it!
It wont cost you any money

Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #110
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It wont cost you any money
that was another thing that got me about bethesda.

I was playing oblivion the other night, and walked into the back of a tavern and there was all the equipment for brewing the beer they served there.

I was like "Woah, a conical fermenter!"

and probably about 99% of people playing the game have no idea what the thing is or why it's there. Thought it was cool.

Quick Reply