Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Eggs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #121
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've had a fair amount of duck, my dad used to hunt them. He also would occasionally go goose hunting. I know we ate them as well, but I can't remember much about the taste. I might have to cook one up this Christmas. I'm in charge of the turkey for Thanksgiving, but I like to do something different for Christmas. Lately it's been pretty standard, beef roast for Christmas and ham on easter. I want to serve rabbit next easter, but my wife thinks that might be a little over the top.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #122
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1600 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I've had a fair amount of duck, my dad used to hunt them. He also would occasionally go goose hunting. I know we ate them as well, but I can't remember much about the taste. I might have to cook one up this Christmas. I'm in charge of the turkey for Thanksgiving, but I like to do something different for Christmas. Lately it's been pretty standard, beef roast for Christmas and ham on easter. I want to serve rabbit next easter, but my wife thinks that might be a little over the top.
Do you think she would relent if you offered to make hossenpfeffer?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #123
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dang it... You made me want to try it now as I'm pretty adventurous with my palate. Wonder if my local Walmart has a special on it?

I like venison, pheasant, wild turkey, and quail - need to find someone that can hook me up with a goose!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #124
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My wife's favorite of favorite authors is Charles Dickens, so I really wanted to do the whole Christmas Carole Christmas goose thing (this is the year I met her). When I asked the butcher over the phone if he sold goose he replied "Well, I certainly hope to for the holidays." The implication was that he would be a lousy butcher if he didnt have a Christmas goose to sell at Christmas. :-). Does Tuttle have a private butcher? If they dont usually pack it in, you might be able to call weeks or months ahead and have them order one for you.

Word of warning though, it aint cheap. Definitely special occassion fare.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #125
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
My wife's favorite of favorite authors is Charles Dickens, so I really wanted to do the whole Christmas Carole Christmas goose thing (this is the year I met her). When I asked the butcher over the phone if he sold goose he replied "Well, I certainly hope to for the holidays." The implication was that he would be a lousy butcher if he didnt have a Christmas goose to sell at Christmas. :-). Does Tuttle have a private butcher? If they dont usually pack it in, you might be able to call weeks or months ahead and have them order one for you.

Word of warning though, it aint cheap. Definitely special occassion fare.
We've actually got 2 butchers near by - one in Tuttle and one in Mustang - about the same distance. I live in BEEF country however and I'm skeptical that they have Goose available. Seen some buffalo but mostly beef, pork, and chicken. I'll give them a call and see what they say. I've got company coming on Weds through Sunday of this week who are a bit "foodie", so might be a good time to experiment! Any recipe advice?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #126
makomachine
Recipes 

To keep this reasonably on topic, I'll use the goose fat to cook some eggs! Already have a German night planned with homemade pretzels, fermented Kraut, bratwurst, and some schnitzel. (Along with my Helles!)

Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #127
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The beautiful thing about cooking goose is the simplicity. Get a couple skewers and poke holes all over the outside of the bird. You want to get through the skin and fat layer all the way down to the meat. Get a bowl with all-purpose flour, salt to taste, cayenne to taste, paprika and maybe even a little tumeric and rub all over the skin. You really want to make a thin layer of flour and spices all over it.

Stand her up on a rack in a roasting tray and shock her at 450 for a half hour, then turn it down to 350. Now roast, and roast, and roast, and roast, and roast (I think its a half hour to an hour per pound, but definitely dont take my word on that... I look it up every time I do it). You'll need to pour the fat into a coffee can every half hour or so. You'll be SHOCKED how much comes out.

Then just let it rest, slice and serve. You dont need a lot of dickering to do to it, since it has so much flavor on its own.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #128
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's another egg use, this one posted with the express purpose of blowing Homer's mind. A raw quail egg in the middle of a lovely tuna tartar.

Not that I have the kind of money anymore to fool around with sushi grade tuna...

Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #129
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
To keep this reasonably on topic, I'll use the goose fat to cook some eggs! Already have a German night planned with homemade pretzels, fermented Kraut, bratwurst, and some schnitzel. (Along with my Helles!)
Aww man, suddenly I wish NYC were closer to Oklahoma. I'd fenagle an invite out of ya for a meal like that!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #130
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness

Aww man, suddenly I wish NYC were closer to Oklahoma. I'd fenagle an invite out of ya for a meal like that!
Someday when I'm headed NYC way I'll Pm and we can hook up for some food and beverage company! I'll check out the butcher and see if this is practical given my timeline and also confirm with the wife that she's "game"!

Quick Reply