Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Effing Little League Parents

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I'm with you Bernie 100%.

Little league football has been the worst we've seen BY FAR. Baseball and soccer didn't even come close. Never saw one incedent in basketball. It also seems like the football coaches think they've got some kind of pass that allows them to be a-holes, too. I'll be coaching my boy's team this year - those boys deserve better than they had last year!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBeer View Post

Honestly, what I noticed is that the parents at the "Juniors" games were WAY, WAY worse than the parents at the "Seniors" games. The police-level incident was at a Juniors game.

That's pretty much what I meant in the OP. It was the parents of the kids that weren't as "advanced" that were doing all the bitching. Bitching at the kids, at the umpire, you name it. Pretty much it was just two of them. The parents of the "advanced" kids did nothing but encourage them- give them pointers, etc. But nothing negative. These kids are hard enough on themselves, they don't need parents making it worse.

But I really have no problem with the "way of life" thing, but common courtesy and respect has to be part of it, not a casualty of it. If the "way of life" mentality is done right, it will emphasize those things as much as the fundamentals of the sport.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

IMO the most important part of kids sports is learning about losing, criticism, learning from failure, and hard/unbending discipline based on performance. Working as a team should also fit in there. Parents who build there kids up and make the failures a disaster are ruining their kids opportunity to learn from the game. Plus they just look like dikx to the rest of the normal people and embarrass their kids.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm glad my parents were able to see early on that I wasn't going to be supporting them in their old age as a major league baseball player and never got insane at any of my games.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2796 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I look forward to the day my boy is old enough to play tee-ball. Kudos to your Sparky for taking over coach. I think if I was coaching I'd have a parents meeting that first night and explain that this is little league, the kids are here to learn a sport, have fun, and learn the things that go along with sports such as how to lose gracefully along with winning gracefully, Hard work and teamwork. I understand bad calls will be made, but this is not the end of the world, again, it is little league. If any parents are yelling at the kids on either team, other parents, or the refs, they will be asked to leave. If they cannot control themselves or find someone else to bring their child to the games their child will unfortunately not be able to play and that they will know it is their parents fault for not being able to control themselves. And depending on the age group, ie teeball, Every kid will play, you're little allstar will not play over johnny-can't-catch-a-ball-to-save-his-life. We're not hear to make a living, we're here to enjoy the summer. Don't ruin it for your kids. If you don't like my coaching practices, please feel free to find another team that better suits your expectations of little league.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #26
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

We finished up our season a couple of weeks ago and luckily we're in a pretty good league. My son was 9 this year and turned 10 half-way through the year, first year of "kid pitch". He had a coach this year that was a little on the intense side, sometimes talking over the heads of some of his players, but he learned a TON and had a lot of fun. He always outwardly praised his players and if he saw something talked to them one on one and only got loud when they would hang their heads or kick at the dirt after a bad play.

What Bernie said couldn't be closer to the truth. We played some teams from other programs this year and only had one where the people really stood out like this. Sadly, it was the coaches who were the worst. A funny example was one of the coaches asking the umpire what the count was and how many outs there were, then immediately screaming to his team to "PAY ATTENTION!" in the field. Too funny and sad at the same time.

Coaching is really the best way to solve any problems you may have with the way things are done on the field. Hopefully next year SWMBO will be on first shift and will take over the "daughter duties" in the stands so that I can do more than just assit in practices.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #27
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2796 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 122

To those of you who help coach your kids teams.

Whats your kid's general take on this. As a Dad I think this would be great tome with him, as a boy I could see if they'd rather seperate family and "getting away" during sports??

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #28
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I've coached just about everything my son has played. He thinks it's cool, even though I'm admittedly a little harder on him. He needs it sometimes, though - gotta know my boy!

Quick Reply