Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dying brewer creates special beer to be served at his funeral

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dying brewer creates special beer to be served at his funeral

Link to Story

Quote:
A TERMINALLY ill brewer has created a "to die for" beer - to be served at his funeral.

Industry veteran Iain Turnbull was diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago.

The 61-year-old plans to have the "dangerously strong" beer, called Brewer's Swansong, served when he's gone.

He said: "It is the last beer I will brew.

"All attending at my funeral will get a bottle.

"It will be matured in a whisky cask, bottled and served as a toast when I am toasted in whatever crematorium I am treated to."

He has four to 10 years left, and hopes the brew will help raise cash for Macmillan Cancer Support when it reaches pubs in the next few weeks.

Bang He said: "There will come a time when I will need the care of Macmillan nurses.

"I thought this would be an innovative and enjoyable way of raising money for them as a thank you in advance.

"I wanted to go out with a bang. You need to have a sense of humour at times like this. It will be branded as a beer to die for on the label."

Grandad Iain, who also suffers from osteoarthritis and diabetes, says the superstrong 11.5 per cent ABV brew has a "toffee apple" flavour.

He added: "A taste trial has been undertaken and it is acknowledged to be one of my dangerous beers."

Iain, who has worked in the brewing industry for 40 years, lives in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.

Pals at the Falkirk Tryst Brewery in Larbert, Stirlingshire, agreed to make the beer.

John McGarva said: "It will be dark, malty and strong, just the way Iain likes his beers, and he wants this one to be perfect."'

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

WOW......I'm too stunned/moved to say anything intelligent right now.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I'm going to fake arthritis and the 'betis to get Three Floyds to brew a barleywine for my funeral.

What's tappening? :D

Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
jerrysfinger
Recipes 

Good for him....sounds like hard core stuff. Going out with a bang

Keg = SWMBO Slayer

Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Lefty
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a brew to die for.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Scots. What more can I say. My dad was showing me only last night a bottle of beer from Orkney which is about 10% and matured in old whiskey casks. Version of Dark Island. Damn I miss the beers back there! Need to brew more!!!!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
sethful
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sad, but good story.

To relate this a bit to someone in my life,my grandpa was a winemaker for most of his life... and when he passed away, he had a ton of bottles of wine left in his basement. During the visitation, everyone that came in was treated to a cup of his wine. The funeral director (a family friend) got the be the taste tester for the opening of each bottle (to my grump's discredit, some of his wine could be mighty nasty), and got quite the buzz going by the end of the night.

Though Grump passed away, the number of stories that were told and memories recounted... and tales of friends coming over and being tempted to a glass of wine.. that turned into a bottle of wine was a mighty fine way to celebrate his life.

~Seth

Accidentally Good Brewing
Bloomington, IL

Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 511 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Sure as hell wouldn't want to get an infection in THAT batch! I woulda done a Dead Guy clone if it were me.

Great story!! He has my admiration!!!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Great story but very sad.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethful View Post
Sad, but good story.

To relate this a bit to someone in my life,my grandpa was a winemaker for most of his life... and when he passed away, he had a ton of bottles of wine left in his basement. During the visitation, everyone that came in was treated to a cup of his wine. The funeral director (a family friend) got the be the taste tester for the opening of each bottle (to my grump's discredit, some of his wine could be mighty nasty), and got quite the buzz going by the end of the night.

Though Grump passed away, the number of stories that were told and memories recounted... and tales of friends coming over and being tempted to a glass of wine.. that turned into a bottle of wine was a mighty fine way to celebrate his life.
That is pretty cool. I should lay down some really big RIS brews (Since I don't do wine so well yet).

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply