Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > DTV darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
farmbrewernw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default DTV darkness

So I finally got around to buying a digital converter box this last weekend and guess what my digital reception sucks a big one. I have an antenna mounted to the top of our house so you would think I would have no problem getting a signal, I have always gotten analog crystal clear. So what's the deal? Will they be "boosting" the power when everything switches over, or am I doomed to never watch TV again? Also I'm curios how many other people are having this problem, by the way don't tell me to get satellite or cable I have no desire to pay $50 a month for a bunch of infomercials and crappy reality shows.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It could be the antenna you have. Does it receive both UHF & VHF? Lots of the digital channels are UHF now, but that could change in February. You might just need a different type of antenna. Or maybe have it aimed differently? You can check at Antenna Web to see what channels you should be able to get and the directions of the towers. You can set it to only show the digital channels.

As for the power, some channels will probably increase power after the switch, but it's not a requirement or anything. You'd just have to check with the channel.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
hopsoda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default booster

do you have a antenna signal booster in the line? helped me. and it wont hurt to have one even if you do need to get a new antenna. im using one ... improved 110%

Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
holden
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also, check out TV Fool to see what digital channels are available now, what ones should be available after the transition, and in what direction to point your antenna for best reception.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #5
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

if you can get signal a booster should make a big difference since digital shouldnt have as many noise issues. if you dont have cable/dish how did you end up with the Stig for an avatar?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Stig is from the internets I use surfthechannel a lot. I checked online about aiming my antenna seems to me that I have it pointed correctly, the antenna is UHF VHF maybe I will have to try a amplifier.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The DTV transition has been the bane of my life for the past 2 weeks as I work at a station currently going through the change. It so happens that the VAST majority of our viewers used to catch us on rabbit ears and are a) VERY elderly, b) handicapped, and c) disgruntled about the whole thing. I'm not sure how many calls I've taken from people who are convinced that we've done this to them on purpose.

Back to technicals (I can only speak to our situation).

Due to the work on the transmitter, the signal strength has been decreased for now. When the transition is completed it should boost back to normal. We're waiting on more equipment to push our footprint out further.

You must have your antenna pointed at us. There's very little wiggle room here.

For now you'll need UHF to catch us. After the switch it'll be VHF. Oh, and our channel number is changing from 33 to 13. Don't forget to re-scan for channels!

I think those are the high-points. We send people to both of the sites listed above.

If you were able to get them on rabbit ears, you should be able to get them once the transition is done. Depending on how far you are from the transmitter you may just have to be patient.

Good luck!

Baby, to a hammer everything looks like a nail...

Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
hopsoda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ya theres not noise ... its just signal strength (on my dtv converter box)
I dont get any channels digital or analog without the booster... worked for me but im a way's out ... over air tv sucks ... might as well put a fishtank in an old tube tv and watch that ... probably be more entertaining.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Subscribing since I'm buying mine this week....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

What's surf the channel? I tend to use Hulu, veoh, and Guba to watch the stuff I want online. I'm another non cable person (for political reasons, if we got another provider other thatn moneygrubbing lousy customer service comcast I'd be more willing to pay...maybe.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply