Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Don't Fail Me Now: Sauna Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Don't Fail Me Now: Sauna Edition

This is easily the best community for DIY that I've ever met, and I need your help. At least, I need your drunken conjecture from the safety of your keyboards.

Has anybody ever built a backyard sauna?

The SWMBO and I are moving to a modest home with a 1 1/2 acre backyard. My mind is reeling with backyard projects from trout pond, orchard, regulation croquet course, all the way to backyard sauna hut.

What I want is a cedar hut with a wood burning stove that has a pile of hot rocks to pour steam on.

Has anybody done this? I'm getting conflicting evidence about specially lined walls, type of wood, shape of hut etc...

It seems like a simple affair. Pour decent footers, build a slightly elevated deck with walls and a sloped roof, add wood burning stove, and relax.

Thoughts? Wisdom? Experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 759 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I will have one someday. I grew up with a Sunday sauna at my grandparent's nearly every weekend. It is so refreshing.

A good portion of us Yoopers are also Finlanders so I have seen many saunas. Some fancy, some just shacks in the backyard. All seem to work equally well.

You seem to have the important things covered already. For me, ice cold water is a necessity. I hope you're pronouncing it like a good Finlander.

Make this a build thread. I'll live through you until I can start building mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply