Don Imus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin' Lion

Reaction score
Who here is sick of hearing about this? I don't agree with what he said (obviously). He did apologize and those offended won't accept his apology?
I honestly think the media plays up this crap just to keep it going.:mad:

While I don't agree with what he said, I hear alot worse coming out of some of these rapers mouths, Dont see the NAACP calling them out! Im sick of seeing the double standards.

There was a nappy headed ho in the room next to mine last night gettin her skeez on, kept me up for while... awoke tired today.

:p

LOL, Yeah this crap is getting out of control. To be totally honest, I did not realize that "nappy headed ho" was a racially charged comment. I thought it was just a floozy with bad hair... but what do I know. I guess now that Howard Stern is not within range of FCC the media has to find another target... And of course Al Sharpton will take ANY reason to get his ass on TV.

One of my teachers was talking about this in Anatomy class (yeah, go figure) She was talkinmg crap about todays Rap with its offensive lyrics, and I kept thinking, NWA, Ice Cube, Easy E... Hello, gangster rap's been around since the 80's.

So Al Sharpton and the NAACP are quite loudly calling for his termination and probably his beheading as well. Just like they did with the Duke Lacrosse players. Now that all those charges have been dropped and the players have been completely exonerated, has Reverend Al or his cohorts apologized for all the inflammatory comments and accusations they made early on? Of course not. People like Al Sharpton are nothing more than publicity whores.

omniscientomar said:
LOL, Yeah this crap is getting out of control. To be totally honest, I did not realize that "nappy headed ho" was a racially charged comment. I thought it was just a floozy with bad hair... but what do I know. ......

I thought the same thing.

The other thing for me is this. If people do not like what one has to say, don't listen to that person. If enough people agree with you and boycott the individual's show, ratings drop, advertisers drop, the show gets dropped. However as an American you have a right to say what you feel.......even if others disagree with what you say and are offened/outraged by it. Let the mighty dollar do your speaking.

I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson oughta take a bullet for the team!!! Next thing you know the gays are gonna ban Jackson from using their rainbow...

What do you think would be the outcome if we insisted on a White College, a Ms. White USA contest, White Entertainment Television or a magazine called Ivory?

Who's that black guy on the radio...called Joyner? Man some of the discriminating crap about white people that came out of his mouth is nothing compared to some nappy-headed ho comment.

I don't know if he's still on the radio or not, but I remember listening to his crap. It used to make me boil at times, laugh at others. Just like Imus and Stern...it was all in fun and not intentional to degrade anyone.

Next thing you know the neo-nazis in DC will make comedy illegal.:mad:

The thing is it was wrong what he said. It was actually more of a sexist comment (ho meaning wh*re).

While it is double standards that rappers use the N word and say ho and such, that doesn't mean all african americans use this word. I know many elderly, religious, and average day to day african americans who despise of this word regardless who uses it. Therefore it is a double standard for those who use it and are appauled, but do not generalize because there are some who don't use it as well.

Another thing is I do believe Sharpton is an annoying public figure. He never points out the positives. Look how far we as a country have came from the civil war. There still is (and may always be) racist people living with us, but not NEARLY as many as there used to be. The country is changing for the best, and people like Sharpton and Jackson only throw fuel on the fire and piss other people off.

And as far as free speech goes. We all have the right to free speech that is true. Imus used free speech and had a right to. HOWEVER when you work for someone, that company has rules. Freedom of speech does not protect your job, and frankly it shouldn't. Imagine any other situation. Imagine a teacher, a judge, the president, your boss, anyone calling you a nappy headed ho or just a ho. That would not be right, and if they did say that THEY would be fired. If freedom of speech were to be allowed to the fullest, you could technically go up to your boss and say "HEY F*** YOU, YOU MOTHER ******* *** ** **" and get away with it. That is not the case, and shouldn't be.

At the end of the day it goes like this:

He shouldn't have said it
Not every black person uses "ho" or even the "N" word.
Sharpton shouldn't be hounding him
People who use the word should be quiet and not hypocirts
His employer should decide the faith of his job (which they are)
Freedom of speech doesn't protect your job

Thanks

I thought they might take offence of the "ho" part, but since "Knappy headed ho" is old school rap terminology... For a while there I thought the offensive part was some geriatric trying to sound young by quoting 1990's rap lingo.

Nexus555 said:
The thing is it was wrong what he said. It was actually more of a sexist comment (ho meaning wh*re).

While it is double standards that rappers use the N word and say ho and such, that doesn't mean all african americans use this word. I know many elderly, religious, and average day to day african americans who despise of this word regardless who uses it. Therefore it is a double standard for those who use it and are appauled, but do not generalize because there are some who don't use it as well.

Another thing is I do believe Sharpton is an annoying public figure. He never points out the positives. Look how far we as a country have came from the civil war. There still is (and may always be) racist people living with us, but not NEARLY as many as there used to be. The country is changing for the best, and people like Sharpton and Jackson only throw fuel on the fire and piss other people off.

And as far as free speech goes. We all have the right to free speech that is true. Imus used free speech and had a right to. HOWEVER when you work for someone, that company has rules. Freedom of speech does not protect your job, and frankly it shouldn't. Imagine any other situation. Imagine a teacher, a judge, the president, your boss, anyone calling you a nappy headed ho or just a ho. That would not be right, and if they did say that THEY would be fired. If freedom of speech were to be allowed to the fullest, you could technically go up to your boss and say "HEY F*** YOU, YOU MOTHER ******* *** ** **" and get away with it. That is not the case, and shouldn't be.

At the end of the day it goes like this:

He shouldn't have said it
Not every black person uses "ho" or even the "N" word.
Sharpton shouldn't be hounding him
People who use the word should be quiet and not hypocirts
His employer should decide the faith of his job (which they are)
Freedom of speech doesn't protect your job

Thanks
I find nothing wrong with your opinion.:D I know there are a lot of religious people who act and believe as you stated. So in the end it must be all this language problem comes from rappers. Let's all hope Big Al attacks them and gets them banned from the airways.

Personally, I've started my own crusade against rap (it's not music)...I don't buy products from companies that use rap in their advertisements. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stunningly-Beautiful-Nappy-Headed-Hoe_W0QQitemZ180106306200QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29516QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and then you have the t-shirt.

ebc9_1.JPG

Give it a few days and it'll go away. We'll get some good disaster to knock it off the front pages - a school shooting rampage, a hurricane, an airline disaster, Brad and Angelina divorcing, Oprah cutting a fa*t big enough to topple the Harpo Studios building and send a gaseous cloud over Chicago, forcing evacuation of the downtown area - something along those lines.

homebrewer_99 said:
Personally, I've started my own crusade against rap (it's not music)...I don't buy products from companies that use rap in their advertisements. :D

I'm with ya brother. Ya can't get Crap without Rap. :D

Flyin' Lion said:
Who here is sick of hearing about this? I don't agree with what he said (obviously). He did apologize and those offended won't accept his apology?
I honestly think the media plays up this crap just to keep it going.:mad:

i'm totaly sick of it too.... we have a war on, sudan, hell even worse things that the ap/reuters doesnt want to report happen.

give it a rest, granted at least it's push Anna Nicole Smith to the way side... i hated how that took over EVERY thing.

Imas gets the flack (as I think he should) but not the un-named masses who listen to him and eat what he says up. We have a lot of racist, sexist people out there and this kind of talk and the views behind it, is widespread. That is the issue IMHO.

jjasghar said:
i'm totaly sick of it too.... we have a war on, sudan, hell even worse things that the ap/reuters doesnt want to report happen.

give it a rest, granted at least it's push Anna Nicole Smith to the way side... i hated how that took over EVERY thing.

Daily Show last night hit that nail on the head. Did anyone see that asshat, "White Trash Johnson" as Jon Stewart calls him, at that press conference? He was like "Awwwww, yeeeeeuh! Ah TOLD y'all suckaz!. I hate to say it, but, ah TOLD y'all! BOOYAH! I's the babydaddy! Boooyow!"

The worst part about this whole stupid Imus thing is that one of the first "big" names out there to call the media for its BS coverage and point out the fact that rappers routinely say MUCH worse things, was...wait for it...Michelle F'ing Malkin! :confused: Look...people...if an issue has the power to make Michelle Malkin look like the reasonable one in the room, then, well, something is seriously f'ing wrong. :drunk:

Oh, and by the way, I don't agree that, in this day and age, "ho" automatically means "prostitute". Originally, yes...but, again, because of the watering-down and over-use of the word by gangsta rappers and other members of the Ebonics Proletariat, I think it's safe to say that "ho" is a gansta term for "woman". Not exactly flattering, but not necessarily calling someone a whore either.

Evan! said:
Oh, and by the way, I don't agree that, in this day and age, "ho" automatically means "prostitute". Originally, yes...but, again, because of the watering-down and over-use of the word by gangsta rappers and other members of the Ebonics Proletariat, I think it's safe to say that "ho" is a gansta term for "woman". Not exactly flattering, but not necessarily calling someone a whore either.

I'd say ho is roughly similar to broad or *****. No, it's not a nice word, but it doesn't mean prostitute and more than gay mean happy these days.

Well, we no longer need to hear about it. What is important to MSNBC is not what he said, but how his sponsors will react. As of earlier today a handfull of big ones pulled their advertising on his show, and look how quick he was fired.

Then i head some 17year morning show guy used his "phrase that pays" and it was "nappy headed hos". he was fired too.

He should have called them all chicken heads like mike tyson did, because no one gets offended when anyone makes a remark about a white gal providing oral services for crack (chicken head).

This is not a racial issue, it is a stupidity issue. Imus has been doing it long enough to know what is socially ok and not ok to say. he had to know it would cause him problems.

Rhoobarb said:
Give it a few days and it'll go away. We'll get some good disaster to knock it off the front pages - a school shooting rampage, a hurricane, an airline disaster, Brad and Angelina divorcing, Oprah cutting a fa*t big enough to topple the Harpo Studios building and send a gaseous cloud over Chicago, forcing evacuation of the downtown area - something along those lines.

no need to wait a few days....he just got fired from CBS and the MSNBC show has been dropped.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/12/national/main2675273.shtml

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't even know who he is. I suspect not having a working TV for 30 years has something to do with it.

Freedom of speech wasn't the issue here, it's money. Bottom line is that NBC and CBS don't want the bad rep for letting a sleeze keep his job, and they aren't getting anything if they do.

There is no way that advertisers were going to be picking his show for there spots, so he wasn't going to be making any money for the company. Forget about what he said, that's not the issue. Proctor and Gamble's ad agency, for example, don't want to associate with someone that has a bad rep, so they aren't going to spend money for him, his show, or even his time slot to endorse them. No revenue from ads, no reason to keep the show on air.

Working in the industry, I'm guessing Imus knew this was probably a career killer as soon as either;

A. He said it.

or

B. His show was done that day and the calls started coming in.

No one survives in this biz as long as he has without knowing what the hell they are saying and what they aren't. He got caught up in the moment and I'm willing to bet he almost forgot he was on the air. Major f-up on his part.

It's immaterial tho, he's gone. It was a patently stupid thing to say. And in the end, unless satellite picks him up, it's pretty much over for him. He'll take his millions and retire.

What else is patently stupid is the reaction and outcry to this. It was a freaking stupid mistake. But as has been stated over and over again, there is far worse being churned out in the music industry these days, and it doesn't only apply to rap. Rap is only being held up as an example because of what he said. There's plenty of race-baiting Metal out there as well.

Do I want any of it censored? Hell no. It lets me know where you stand, and helps me keep an eye on you.

My .02

Ize

I caught his show once and watched it until I realized I was watching a geriatric on t.v. doing a radio talk show! Maybe I could just go watch paint dry.
Stupid mistake, He deserved to be reprimanded, not fired. No, I don't listen to rap, and I could give a c+_p what some overpaid "political reverend" has to say about it. He should be holding a church service somewhere. Don't he do that anymore?
I'm gonna get a beer.

My biggest issue with this is how Sharpton, Jackson have basically NOT accepted his apology. These are supposed religious types so where is the forgiveness. The entire Rutgers team is being applauded for how they have handled the situation, but they have yet to accept and forgive his stupid mistake after he has apologized-what are they being appluaded for?

I'd respect Sharpton and Jackson more if they preached forgiveness instead of inciting all of these conflicts.

david_42 said:
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't even know who he is. I suspect not having a working TV for 30 years has something to do with it.

WOW, 30 years, thats rough. I don't know what i would do with out fox news.

ilikestuff said:
Freedom of speech wasn't the issue here, it's money. Bottom line is that NBC and CBS don't want the bad rep for letting a sleeze keep his job, and they aren't getting anything if they do.

There is no way that advertisers were going to be picking his show for there spots, so he wasn't going to be making any money for the company. Forget about what he said, that's not the issue. Proctor and Gamble's ad agency, for example, don't want to associate with someone that has a bad rep, so they aren't going to spend money for him, his show, or even his time slot to endorse them. No revenue from ads, no reason to keep the show on air.

Of course dollars was the issue, but the casualty here is speech. The cost of that freedom far outweighs the right to speak freely. The almighty dollar...

Wait just a minute here.
There is no free speech issue. There is no Constitutional right to nationwide radio affiliates and an unfettered basic cable medium at your disposal.

He can continue to say assinine things. He's in no way restricted. He has access to all of the public places to express his opinion just like you and I.

Here is the issue. Imus has it both ways for too long. He has had access to A-list political guests, pundits and media figures not unlike Jon Stewert. He also chooses to dealve into low brow Howard Stern-like humor. This is not a combination that is sustainable with advertisers.

If you're going to do Stern material that's fine, there are outlets for him to do this in. But you can't expect to continue on a News cable channel without some repercussion. By way of example, you won't see Opie and Anthony doing spots on the McNeil News hour.

Back