Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #901
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
I have an appointment to be interviewed by a dog on Thursday. She is part of the service dog program and did not finish her training to become a seeing eye or companion dog, so they have to place her with a home. I called the lady and she set me an appointment to come meet the dog on Thursday. So I am thinkin.... How does one dress for a dog interview?..... Bathe in bacon grease and keep a pocket full of doggie treats handy? She has been placed with two other homes where she went on a hunger strike and refused to eat, so I am definitely looking for a way to get her to transition to a new environment easily. Any ideas? Pass em along before Thursday please.

Wheelchair Bob
IMHO, some people don't feed their dogs good food. Or they change the food all the time. I get Blue Buffalo from amazon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #902
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
I have an appointment to be interviewed by a dog on Thursday. She is part of the service dog program and did not finish her training to become a seeing eye or companion dog, so they have to place her with a home. I called the lady and she set me an appointment to come meet the dog on Thursday. So I am thinkin.... How does one dress for a dog interview?..... Bathe in bacon grease and keep a pocket full of doggie treats handy? She has been placed with two other homes where she went on a hunger strike and refused to eat, so I am definitely looking for a way to get her to transition to a new environment easily. Any ideas? Pass em along before Thursday please.

Wheelchair Bob
recently the Howdy had tummy problems and didn't want to eat. this was along with a back problem & yeast infection (Howdy Brau!)

meds were to be taken with food, so we had to get him to eat. someone suggested soaking his kibble with some low-sodium beef or chicken broth

it worked & 3 weeks later, his tummy, back and skin are all much better

good luck with the interview. wear what you would normally wear. Charlie P's advice works well in most situations; Relax, don't worry. but save the homebrew for after

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #903
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Dogs can be very strange animals when they decide to boycott food. My 2 Aussies, Barley & Blue, were doing Vulcan mind games with their food, when I first got them.

They had been used to eating out of a common bowl (Barley first, as he's bigger) and Blue second, but I saw this as a problem since Blue was overweight (He'd chow down all he could once Barley was gone). It took me 2 weeks to get them to eat in separate bowls, because at first all they would do is secure their bowl and protect it by growling. Not too cool.

Finally I decided to throw a 3rd dog in the eating order, namely, ME. I'd give them their food once I was nearly done eating, and that ended up working well. Barley still eats first (out of his own bowl) once I've started having my own dinner, and once Barley is done, Blue will eat his food out of his own bowl.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #904
Channel66
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1049 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post

IMHO, some people don't feed their dogs good food. Or they change the food all the time. I get Blue Buffalo from amazon.
I tried blue buffalo at first but the pooch didn't care for it as much. Ozzy gets wellness core and does really well on it.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #905
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Find what the training program feeds, and buy that. At least for the first month or so, and then if that works, you can gradually transition to a QUALITY food of your choice.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #906
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I can't imagine my dogs ever boycotting food! Our chocolate lab was a rescue dog and he chows down every meal as if its his last. We've had him for 3 years and noting's changed...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #907
Dolomieu

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Nature's Logic is what my dogs settled on.

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #908
kevo342
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is Dixie. You have to be careful with beer glasses around her. You leave them unattended, she will entitle herself to a free sample, which is usually as much as she can get until you catch her. She will do the same with wine, margaritas, and other alcoholic beverages, except whiskey she seems to avoid whiskey.

image-2447461783.jpg  

Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #909
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Abbey here is very finicky about eating. We feed her Castor & Pollux Organix and she seems to really like it, when you she decides to finally eat. As far as beer and other alcohol she also seems to have no interest in an unattended glass.

image-3868135246.jpg

Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #910
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:

Wheelchair Bob
She also may have been upset in the change of lifestyle. She was probably used to the program and going out and doing stuff and working. Suddenly transitioning to just being around the house and not doing anything can do that to a dog, especially working breeds. If you're going to take her, I'd try to have her with you as much as possible and go do stuff with her. Don't expect her to be a yard dog.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply