Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #411
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1586 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 2552

*narrowing eyes*

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #412
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I'm pretty sure asking someone who owns wolves this question is akin to asking a homebrewer:

"I didn't know homebrewing was legal. I would be worried I'd go blind."

It's a fun question to answer though...

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #413
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ View Post
Wow that is a cool looking wolf. Will he eat that entire bone at once? I didn't no you are alowed to have a pet wolf. I would be worried he would eat my femur bone
We get donations of leg bones, spines etc...The bones last for 6 months or so till we have to remove them .The sun bleaches them so that they start to shater, creating a hazard for the pups.

I am not worried about my femur yet, but have been bitten a few times My wife was bitten by a feral Wolfdog 2 months ago...his canines are 1.25 inches long, the punctures were close to 1 inch deep.

You have to be on your guard, but generally they are very affectionate. the key is controlling the rescources (FOOD)!

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #414
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Are wolfdogs goofy and cuddly when they spend time with people, or do you have to constantly keep them active and remind the of their place in the pack?
We have a couple of low content wolfdogs that are pretty freindly. They can be trusted around children and adults without issue. Nyx (the girl on the bottom of the photo) is one of them.

There are several others here that we do not allow children under 12 around at all, and generally can not be trusted with strangers. Venus (the girl at the top in the photo) is one of these. She is very timid around strangers, and if cornered will aggress. If she is with the rest of the pack, especially with Khan (the big wolfypoo in my avatar) and Damon they will stalk small people and animals. We have seen on two occasions where this group has acted as in the wild...use your imagination, only small wild game animals crossing our property were involved.

Wolfdogs can be good companions, but they are hard to evaluate as cubs to determine if they will be ok in a family. The best bet is to get one that is F3+ (F3, F4, F5 etc) as these tend to be more domesticated no matter the percentage.

As far as "work" os concerned...I am a behaviorist, my wife is a vet tech. We run a rescue, and boarding/training facility. We find it easy to deal with wolfdogs. That being said, we have taken in and readopted out a lot of wolfdogs because they are to much work for the average family.

A low content wolfdog will be very destructive, may be an escape artist, might have a prey drive, should be ok in most situations a "normal " dog can handle.

A mid content wolfdog will be very destructive, will be an escape artist, will likely have a prey drive (hopefully) limited to small animals, may be ok in most low stress situations a normal dog can handle

A high content wolfdog will be extraordinarily destructive, will be an amazing escape artist, will have a prey drive that has no limits as to size or species, will not do well at all in any strange situation...basically an animal you would expect to see in a zoo. Basically a hand grenade in the wrong situation....

I have covered several cases of high content wolfdogs killing livestock, aggressing towards humans etc. They are not a companion to be taken llightly, and need constant engagement to keep them out of trouble.

Last edited by wolfstar; 10-03-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: can't...STOP...rambling about wolfypoos...:-)

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #415
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

The little guy up front is Rocky (aka ****head) the 9 month old Fox Terrier/Jack Russell Mix. In the back is Jasper, 4 y/o terrier/Beagle mix. Jasper loves wine and cider, Rocky loves Stouts and wits like me.

image-836170447.jpg  
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #416
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Rufus, the Swedish Vallhund ("Västgötaspets" in Swedish).
Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #417
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstar View Post
I am not worried about my femur yet, but have been bitten a few times My wife was bitten by a feral Wolfdog 2 months ago...his canines are 1.25 inches long, the punctures were close to 1 inch deep.

You have to be on your guard, but generally they are very affectionate. the key is controlling the rescources (FOOD)!
Good lord, I have 2 Aussies and they constantly bicker over food. I have to sit between them to keep them separated at dinner time, otherwise they just growl at each other. My fingers have been caught in the crossfire a couple times.

I can only imagine what it's like with wolfdogs!

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #418
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Many many beautiful pups on this thread!!! I hate to make generalizations, but I would be inclined to say canine companions of homebrewers may be the happiest on earth based on the pics here

And now for the legal part...sorry

***Disclaimer***

We do not advocate the breeding of Wolfdogs. I know at times my posts may seem to glorify these creatures, but in reality, they are exotic and wild animals and should be treated as such. Unfortunately, folks get caught up in the idea of having a "bit of the wild" in their home, or want wolfdogs for spiritual reasons, or sometimes want Wolfdogs as watchdogs, or just want one because "they are cool"....These are the wrong reasons to have a Wolfdog as a companion, and these are just a few of the reasons people have given me as to why they got the animal that they are now surrendering to HVWS.

Please...do the research, talk to knowlegeable people, spend some time among Wolves and Wolfdogs before adopting or getting one as a companion.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #419
savannahvan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

These are my two boys. Goofiest nerds.

image-866533823.jpg   image-1835565704.jpg  
Old 10-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #420
Dutch218
Recipes