Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dogfish Head trip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
nyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Dogfish Head trip

We arrived in Ocean City MD last Thursday and found rain, high winds and sand in the pool and all over the boardwalk. So much for sun and the beach. Well, I figured at least I finally get to do the brewery tour at Dogfishhead. I called to make a reservation even though I figured nobody in their right mind would be there with the weather like it was. The lady tells me they are booked solid until next Wednesday. I can't believe it. First no Randall at the brewpub and now this. Last year we got lost and missed the brewery tour. I just can't believe my luck. I decided to call and beg, I was willing to do anything. That doesn't work because nobody answered my 4 calls. At this point the weather sucks and DFH is out so I'm ready to drive 8 hours home right then and there. About two hours later my wife and I are walking on the sandy windy boardwalk when my sister calls me from the hotel, she called the brewery and explained the situation and they are letting us go on the tour. The bad part, we have to be there in 1 hour and we are 5 minutes from the hotel and an hour drive to the brewery. We ran like hell and I drove even faster. We arrived 10 minutes late but the lady in the lobby was actually waiting for us and rushed us in. I find out later my sister told them I was their biggest fan and I had a huge DFH tattoo on my back. We do the tour and get the samples and I'm happy as could be. I told everyone it was the second best beer day of my life. I was feeling pretty good because only me and my wife like their beer so the other 4 people gave us all of their samples. I noticed something strange going on in the tasting room, there was a guy wandering around dressed like a cop and there were others dressed up too. They were dressed liked the village people. We walk outside and I see the "village people" are playing bocce ball and they are drinking away having a great time. I walked up to the guy dressed like a cop and asked we started chatting. Turns out they are all employee's and they dress up and drink and play bocce on Fridays. The guy was really cool and I could have hung out there all day. I told him I would like to have a job there and he told me to go in and talk to a lady inside before I leave. I jokingly asked him if Sam knew what they did on Fridays and he tells me he is Sam. I laughed and walked away not believing him. When I get home I look on the internet and find a picture of Sam Calagione, it was him. I could kick myself in the ass. I took pictures all over the place and never even considered that was really him. It was way too cool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool story - I was at DFH on Sunday and Monday... the brewpub not the brewery. Had the SWMBO with (we've been to Rehoboth/OCMD 4-5 times this year, so nothing new), but two friends who had never been there before.

Definitely enjoyed fresh tapped Punkin Ale (it was out Sunday, back Monday) and their Sah-Tea Farmhouse Ale. The craziest beer I had though was the Theobroma... definitely a complex, great beer. Not sure how Sam gets Chocolate, Chilies, and weird spices to blend into a drinkable beer, but he did...

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK... Ocean City last week? What kinda Dub you got?

(In case you don't have a VW, there was a huge watercooled VW show in OC last weekend)

We missed out on the brewery tour due to the Bocce tournament, but we decided to hit up the brewpub Saturday afternoon... After a few flights, a lovely glass of Theobroma, some vodkas and a table full of damned good food, we all weebled outside, where I proceeded to load up on $170 worth of growlers, vodka and shwag...

My good friends from the PNW decided to hit it up the next day, and I think they did even more damage than we did...

Waiting for SWMBO to get the pics off her camera...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm going to DFH next weekend for their 360º Experience thing... so hopefully it won't suck. We're making the trip for our 1 year anniversary; I have no idea how I talked her into going to a brewery for our first anniversary but I'm not asking questions . I'm hoping to make it to the brewpub on Friday for 90 Min on Randall; assuming their website is accurate and thats when its actually hooked up.

P.S. I have an MKIV VR6...

Neal

Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

WOW....WOW!

I'm glad you had a good experience after the Randall incident...so did you talk to the lady sam recommended?

So sam's favorite village person is this guy?

I would have thought that Sam would lean more towards,

Either way I'm a little disturbed by it all.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I didn't talk to the lady, unfortunately I couldn't really take a job there right now even if he was serious.

We had no idea that volkswagon thing was going on when we got there Thursday. On Friday they took over the entire town. We tried getting to the carwash and couldn't even get near it. I have nothing against someone who loves their car, I'm into cars bigtime. I just couldn't believe how annoying alot of them were. They raced up and down the street all day and night. I must be getting old because the sound of their exhaust is extremely annoying to me. I saw some of the ugliest cars ever there. The police had a good time, they were out in force and stopped tons of them. I drove to the store Sunday afternoon with our Eclipse Syder and I got surrounded by those little Golf's. They were revving their motors and trying to get me to race them. What the hell is this new thing with extremely wide wheels on the car with tires that don't fit?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
OK... Ocean City last week? What kinda Dub you got?

(In case you don't have a VW, there was a huge watercooled VW show in OC last weekend)

We missed out on the brewery tour due to the Bocce tournament, but we decided to hit up the brewpub Saturday afternoon... After a few flights, a lovely glass of Theobroma, some vodkas and a table full of damned good food, we all weebled outside, where I proceeded to load up on $170 worth of growlers, vodka and shwag...

My good friends from the PNW decided to hit it up the next day, and I think they did even more damage than we did...

Waiting for SWMBO to get the pics off her camera...

We were there Saturday afternoon around 4:30. We sat in a table near the back towards the bathrooms. I really wanted to get to the bar and hang out up there but it was pretty crowded. I got a sampler and thats it. The rest of the people I was with drink miller light so they weren't very interested in the place. It sounds like randall may not getting much use for awhile.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
I didn't talk to the lady, unfortunately I couldn't really take a job there right now even if he was serious.

We had no idea that volkswagon thing was going on when we got there Thursday. On Friday they took over the entire town. We tried getting to the carwash and couldn't even get near it. I have nothing against someone who loves their car, I'm into cars bigtime. I just couldn't believe how annoying alot of them were. They raced up and down the street all day and night. I must be getting old because the sound of their exhaust is extremely annoying to me. I saw some of the ugliest cars ever there. The police had a good time, they were out in force and stopped tons of them. I drove to the store Sunday afternoon with our Eclipse Syder and I got surrounded by those little Golf's. They were revving their motors and trying to get me to race them. What the hell is this new thing with extremely wide wheels on the car with tires that don't fit?
Yeah we do have some idiots in the community, but most of them are pretty decent.. There are a lot of the beaters and ugly cars that are oddly enough, well received... And usually the ones racing are the younger bucks with more balls than brains... Our club has a few of those, but we try to keep them wrangled in...

As far as the wide wheels thing goes, I personally thing that on some cars it isn't too bad... SWMBO has 205/40/r14's stretched over 8" rims on the Cabby... At least it looks like it kinda has some muscle.... somwhere...

I will post up a link to my our pics thread on Vortex when I get a chance...

Nealf...

Lemme guess, silver GTI right?

Quote:
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Since this household has been on head-cold-duty all week, I decided to get the pics myself...

At least those of the booty I managed to get from the brewpub store...

With out VW clubs official mascot, Dürty Dück:

And without:

No, we didn't play beer pong with the DFH....

Quote:

Old 10-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
We arrived in Ocean City MD last Thursday and found rain, high winds and sand in the pool and all over the boardwalk. So much for sun and the beach. Well, I figured at least I finally get to do the brewery tour at Dogfishhead. I called to make a reservation even though I figured nobody in their right mind would be there with the weather like it was. The lady tells me they are booked solid until next Wednesday. I can't believe it. First no Randall at the brewpub and now this. Last year we got lost and missed the brewery tour. I just can't believe my luck. I decided to call and beg, I was willing to do anything. That doesn't work because nobody answered my 4 calls. At this point the weather sucks and DFH is out so I'm ready to drive 8 hours home right then and there. About two hours later my wife and I are walking on the sandy windy boardwalk when my sister calls me from the hotel, she called the brewery and explained the situation and they are letting us go on the tour. The bad part, we have to be there in 1 hour and we are 5 minutes from the hotel and an hour drive to the brewery. We ran like hell and I drove even faster. We arrived 10 minutes late but the lady in the lobby was actually waiting for us and rushed us in. I find out later my sister told them I was their biggest fan and I had a huge DFH tattoo on my back. We do the tour and get the samples and I'm happy as could be. I told everyone it was the second best beer day of my life. I was feeling pretty good because only me and my wife like their beer so the other 4 people gave us all of their samples. I noticed something strange going on in the tasting room, there was a guy wandering around dressed like a cop and there were others dressed up too. They were dressed liked the village people. We walk outside and I see the "village people" are playing bocce ball and they are drinking away having a great time. I walked up to the guy dressed like a cop and asked we started chatting. Turns out they are all employee's and they dress up and drink and play bocce on Fridays. The guy was really cool and I could have hung out there all day. I told him I would like to have a job there and he told me to go in and talk to a lady inside before I leave. I jokingly asked him if Sam knew what they did on Fridays and he tells me he is Sam. I laughed and walked away not believing him. When I get home I look on the internet and find a picture of Sam Calagione, it was him. I could kick myself in the ass. I took pictures all over the place and never even considered that was really him. It was way too cool.

That just ****ing Rocks!!! What a hell of a good Day.

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Quick Reply