Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A dog for my sister--Rotty, Dobie, Boxer or German Shepherd?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I have 2 labs that I absolutely love, 1 a rescue (black male, found him running around and could not find his owner), and one a purchase at a fund raiser (Choc. female). I am also a huge fan of German shepherds. One of my neighbors has a lab shepherd mix that is a great combination of the two. Has the playfulness of a lab, but with protective, semi dominating qualities of a shepherd, without being overly aggressive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #22
unlucky
Recipes 

Look into a Giant Schnauzer. I love my GSD, but I spend alot of time brushing the dog and vacuming the carpet.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #23
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The wife says rotty or GS but GS preferably.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #24
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I have an 8 year old boxer and she's awesome! She's in great health, energetic, protective but smart (she knows when not to be). She's been my very best friend since I got her.

I would not consider another breed unless it was a dog in need and I was able to provide for it.

Boxer all the way!

dsc00105.jpg  

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #25
delta
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How about a Rhodesian Ridgeback? They are even tempered and protective of their family when they need to be.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 49

+1 on all who recommended rescue dogs. I personally have 3 rescues and that's the route I choose to go. My sister just chooses differently.

I'll show her this thread, which was started at her behest.

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
Goodyear
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

The gf and I have 2 Rotties, a 19 month old male and a 6 month old female. The male is the best dog I have ever owned. He has been a quick learner and thanks to all the training my gf has done with him, he is quite obedient. His little sister isn't picking stuff up as fast as he did but she really isn't getting the same one on one training that Till got. Both are incredibly affectionate and laid back but I wouldn't recommend entering our yard or house without having one of us there to introduce you. They are fine with people we bring in the house but the male is very protective of his property. Unfortunately it seems he thinks everything he can see from the house or yard is his property. We've had to start locking him up on Friday and Saturday nights because the drunks in the parking lot at the bar across the street set him off. The female is getting to be the same way but not as bad. If the dogs see people while we are out walking, they will watch them but are not at all aggressive towards them. People will often go out their way to avoid us when they see the dogs. I feel like I should try to educate these people and show them how nice our dogs are but at the same time I kind of like that they stay away, especially when the gf is out walking one by herself. We have made sure they are well socialized, both with people and other dogs. I think that helps a lot. Like I said, both of ours are very affectionate but in different ways. The male wants to sit on our laps and be hugged and petted while the female will either try to climb on top of your head and lick you or lay on the floor waiting for a belly rub. I'm hoping she'll be more like her brother as she gets older.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #28
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Get a mutt from a rescue....

That being said, I am a behaviorist and a trainer (canine)...

My first choice if she chooses to go to a breeder would be a Shepherd.

A vast majority of the Shepherds i have been dealing with have been poorly bred. If she chooses a Shepherd, she should make sure to do her due dilligence in researching the breeder. You want a breeder that offers desensitisation from the day the puppies are born. This includes handling, loud startling noises, lights, smells, and surface textures. Getting a dog from a breeder that knows about these things is not going to be cheap, but your sister will save down the road from having to call someone like me to rehab her dog, or call a vet because the dog has a poor genetic line.

Shepherds are capable of incredible focus and loyalty to the owner (of cousrse Dobes and Rotts can too) but thet also can be easily shaped into the dog you want.

Dobes and Rotts are excellent pets, however, I have rarely met one that can be called off once they become highly aroused (if they decide to chase a cat, rabbit etc). If your sister expects to have a companion that she can trust to not run off and get into trouble...Shepherds are the way to go among the three....

Now really? I would suggest an Australian Shepherd or Border Collie before a German Shepherd as the odds are your sister is much more likely to find a genetically robust Aussie or Border than a GSD...

Hope this helps...i can go forever on this topic

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #29
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTgill View Post
I am a vet so take this for what its worth. All of the dog breeds you mentioned are notorious for their genetic issues. Boxers/GSD/Rottie are all know for for developing cancer. I call boxers cancer factories....its not if but when they develop a tumor. Dobermans are know for bleeding disorders, heart conditions and to some extent cancer too. With GSD you also worry about arthritis/hip issues. Temperment wise I would go best to worst Boxer, Dobie, Rottie/GSD. I don't trust a GSD as far as I can throw one. Honestly if she is dead set on one of the 4 breeds you list then I would lean Dobie or Boxer for temperment and health issues. If you have any questions or want more info I would be more than happy to help.

I can agree with you on a lot of this...but we should talk about the GSD sometime.

Too many times I have client calles for aggressive GSDs that I eventually find out were trained with a shock/prong/choke collar. AVSAB (American Vetrinary Society of Animal Behavior) has some very specific statements regarding this type of training and how it can adversely affect the behavior of a dog. GSDs can be behaviorally shaped so easily, that it is TOO easy to inadvertantly install undesired behaviors. This is a major factor in the unpredictabillity of the breed...For the record, I am a behaviorist, my wife is a vet tech, and we have devoted our lives to animal welfare....

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #30
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

We've got a boxer/pit mix who's about 60 lbs, so sweet esp with kids, but can be really scary looking and sounding in the right situation. Mixed breed helps with health issues too.

Another option should be a pit. My wife and I foster dogs and that was the hardest one to let go of. So lazy (most of the time) and sweet, but I guarantee no one on here would want to mess with one if just for the stereotype

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Quick Reply