The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A dog for my sister--Rotty, Dobie, Boxer or German Shepherd?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default A dog for my sister--Rotty, Dobie, Boxer or German Shepherd?

All,

My sister has an aging Boxer, Sonny Liston, who she adores. He is exceedingly well-trained and her best pal. Sonny knows many commands and is her constant companion. But due to some medical issues, she is anticipating having to choose another dog soon and would like some "overlap", so as to integrate a new dog into the household.

Info: My sister is a single, petite, 40-ish lady who lives alone (don't get any ideas. She's heavily armed and doesn't suffer foolishness easily.) She is an avid hiker and camps out on the trail alone, with Sonny. She wants a dog that can stand to be alone while she works, but is eager to go out and play when she does. The new dog will be a house dog, but expected to be watchful and on guard, given her vulnerability as a single gal. But she really wants a dog with personality, too.

She is considering a Doberman, a Rottweiler, another Boxer, or a German Shepherd. She would like to avoid the genetic issues that would deprive her of her new pal prematurely, which is what is happening with Sonny.

And for those of you who don't have dog advice, but want to just get into my sister's pants, I am heavily armed, too.

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I would personally go with a Boxer, or German Shepherd, then a Doberman. I wouldn't get a Rotweiler especially for a petite female. Rot's tend to be very tempremental and if it gets the bluff on her she will never be able to control it.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
ddahl84
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was going say Rottweiler. Mine is the sweetest dog I've ever owned. Listens very well and my fiancée who is 115 pounds has never had any problems with him.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

A Golden Retriever would be a great choice.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHead View Post
I would personally go with a Boxer, or German Shepherd, then a Doberman. I wouldn't get a Rotweiler especially for a petite female. Rot's tend to be very tempremental and if it gets the bluff on her she will never be able to control it.
She's no shrinking violet...current Boxer is over 80# and trim. But what do you mean by temperamental?

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
ddahl84
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam

She's no shrinking violet...current Boxer is over 80# and trim. But what do you mean by temperamental?
I've had my rotty for over three years and have no idea what he's talking about.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Poor Sonny. Due to Boxers High risk of cancer I would not get another Boxer. I have a lab my cousin had a rotty that was the smartest and best dog (2nd to my lab). For your sister a rotty maybe much for hiking and to control. My cousins rotty was great but only because he had to put her in her place a few times. German shepards are great dogs but they have a high risk of hip displaysia. I had a bad experience with a Doberman so I am not a fan if the breed. Out if the dogs you listed I would go German Shepard just get a pure breed so that you can check the linage and see if there's history of hip displaysia. When I got my lab 13 years ago I wanted a rotty but when I saw her I fell in love. I love labs and highly recommend them especially for a dog to go hiking, swimming, or hunting. My dog loves everyone but she was also protective. Just not to the level of the dogs you listed.

If I get another dog though its going to be an animal rescue

Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Shepherd

My cousin (female) had one for years that went tree planting in the bush with her every summer for 7 years. It was a great dog awesome around the house, and awesome in the woods on bear patrol. That dog never left your side once it adopted you. my mom and i were going for a walk into town and she said take moonshine with you. moonshine walked Right next to me the whole time and laid on the sidewalk when we went in a store. I didn't even have a leash, and this was the first time Either of us had ever met the dog

Your sister sounds a lot like my cousin however my cousin is Canadian so a bit anti gun

Edit: My grandfather raised GSD's, as well as my Dad when I was younger.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 73

In my expirerience dobermans are a high maintenance pain in the a$$

. I have known 3 different people that owned one and the first statement covered all of them. The dog that is.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahl84 View Post
I've had my rotty for over three years and have no idea what he's talking about.
Let me be clear ANY dog can be a little weird, I had a beagle that would get obsessed over weird things. I am sure 95% of Rotweilers are great dogs and most of the ones I have seen have been great dogs but I just think of a couple that I had dealings with that were quite territorial and one that I felt uncomfortable every time I was at their house because of it. But the owner was a big guy and in dog terms I think the dog knew who was the Alpha in the house. I just don't know if a petite female would get that from the Rot. Shepherds can also be terretorial but they are also one of the best at taking training.
Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Quick Reply