Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > dog may have ingested a little paint
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
todd_k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,619
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default dog may have ingested a little paint

We painted a wall tonight and had it pretty well blocked off from the dog, or so we thought. I just found a orange streak of paint down his back/side of a back leg. It was about 5 inches long by a couple inches wide. Looks like he got over to the painted wall and just brushed up against it.
My worry is that he tried to lick some of the paint off before it dried on him. Is this serious? The can says if you ingest the paint you should drink 2 glasses of water and seek medical attention. He just drank a lot of water. Should I be worried?

__________________

Primary:
Secondary: Smokier Smoked Porter
Kegged:

todd_k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

If you're concerned, feed him a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide per minute until he pukes.

__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Adams, MA
Posts: 20,569
Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default

Me, I'd call the vet and ask. I'm assuming it's latex paint, which is probably a lot less toxic, but still... the fact he's drinking a lot would make me nervous.

__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
the_bird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
MariaAZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MariaAZ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 169
Default

I'd first call my regular vet. Our vet has a 24 hr. answering service for emergencies and will return calls for such emergencies. If your vet doesn't have this, you might want to try the local emergency animal clinic. If that's not an option, there is an Animal Poison Control hotline.

Good luck with your furry friend!

__________________
MariaAZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Genghis77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Genghis77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon on the Umpqua
Posts: 533
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Latex paint isn't very toxic and probably not that palatable to be conumed in health threatening quantity. Still, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer's poison control center and taking the appropriate action. My dog ate a Decon rat poison about a year ago. When I contacted the manufacturer they were very prompt. Asked how much my dog weighed.... 108 pounds. They said don't sweat it. It might make a very small dog sick, but not a dog the size of mine. The poison isn't that much as it is made to clog up the small digestive system of rodents. My dog was fine without need of intervention.

__________________

Genghis77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
todd_k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,619
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Floyd isn't established at a new vets office yet so I called the # on the paint can. I think I spoke to Yacov Smirnov and he said not to worry since the latex paint is pretty much non-toxic. He asked age, weight, and breed, and said to give him water, which I already did. It's been about almost 2 hours since he got the paint on him and he's acting normal, chasing the cat and what not.

__________________

Primary:
Secondary: Smokier Smoked Porter
Kegged:

todd_k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Adams, MA
Posts: 20,569
Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default

That's great to hear. We freaked out when Troy ate half my chocolate birthday cake a couple years ago, but they told us not to worry because the actual amount of chocolate consumed was pretty minimal.

So now the question is - how much damage did the Hurricane do THIS time?

__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
the_bird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
Genghis77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Genghis77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon on the Umpqua
Posts: 533
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

One thing that is really lethal to both dogs and cats is tyannol. Even one tablet will destroy the liver. I quit taking NSAIDS because of reports of being hard on the liver as well as stomach.

I was told that Decon was about as deadly as dehydrated
(instant) potatoes. Works on the same principle. The rodent eats it, becomes thirsty and the substance swells and blocks the digestive tract.

__________________


Genghis77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Adams, MA
Posts: 20,569
Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default

How about hops? I've heard that they are harmful to dogs, but don't know exactly HOW harmful, or how careful we need to be. Troy doesn't go for the hops, but I've dropped pellets on the floor, and he does tend to clean up anything that falls...

__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
the_bird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 05:18 AM   #10
Genghis77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Genghis77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon on the Umpqua
Posts: 533
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Hops are not good for dogs, but I forget the process. But I think you'll find dogs are repulsed by the smell, let alone taste of hops. And any amount in beer would be insufficient to be harmful. But dogs do not process alcohol well, again risking liver failure.

Most of the deadly poisons to dogs destroys the liver or kidneys or both. Protein in excess will slowly destroy the kidneys and is a frequent cause of death in older dogs. I recommend feeding high quality dog foods like Science Diet or Iams. More expensive, but I believe a dog will be healthier and live longer, therefore worth it.

__________________


Genghis77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint for my Jet Burner? bytemyfoot Equipment/Sanitation 9 08-21-2009 07:18 PM
MS Paint doodles Kai Label Display & Discussion 4 02-26-2008 02:06 AM
What paint for my new stand? bevoduz Brew Stands 10 02-07-2008 07:31 PM
Paint strainers rabidgerbil Equipment/Sanitation 2 12-19-2007 06:29 AM
Appliance Paint ShortSnoutBrewing Kegerators and Keezers 1 10-31-2007 09:49 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS