Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dog Collars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
loopmd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dog Collars

Our (ok...swmbo's) dog has chewed through his 4th collar. I've googled to see if there are any collars that are "chew proof" and can't seem to find anything. I don't want to go the choke collar route or put anti-chewing crap on his next collar. Any ideas or suggestions?

loop

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
JohnBarleycorn
Recipes 

Leather collar with spikes ? looks tough too .

Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopmd
Our (ok...swmbo's) dog has chewed through his 4th collar. I've googled to see if there are any collars that are "chew proof" and can't seem to find anything. I don't want to go the choke collar route or put anti-chewing crap on his next collar. Any ideas or suggestions?

loop

How is he chewing through a collar? make it tigher so it fits and he can't get is mouth in it.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

that dog must have a one hell of a flexible neck to be chewing on its collar. Are you leaving it too loose? I have a braided nylon collar for my dog that has a double loop that acts like a choke collar but not as bad as a chain one.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
How is he chewing through a collar? make it tigher so it fits and he can't get is mouth in it.
That's what I'm thinking, the collar's too loose. I think I can probably fit two fingers between Troy's collar and his neck. No way he'd be able to get his mouth on it, and it's not too tight on him.

EDIT: I have a chain collar for when I walk him that's a quasi-choke collar; it doesn't choke him, but it has prongs that pinch his neckflesh a little if he lunges at something. If he's acting calm and walking alongside me like he's supposed to, it doesn't hurt him at all. But, that's a supplemental collar, it's not something you can leave on him all the time.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My dog did this in his first year. we went through about 4-5 collers. There were not overly loose, two finger rule. We was like a contortionist. After a while, he stopped. I think at first he did not want to wear it at all. Now, he panics during his baths when it is off, and will not calm until it is back on.

If he is a pup, it should pass. If he is an adult, look into a choke chain.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

My vet suggested spraying/rubbing deoderant on stuff your dog chews that you don't want them to, they can't stand the taste and it isn't poinsonous.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it. It was more like 1 finger tight instead of 2. (get your mind out of the gutter!) Spiked collar is out too...that's just strictly used for me and swmbo.

loop

Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
That's what I'm thinking, the collar's too loose. I think I can probably fit two fingers between Troy's collar and his neck. No way he'd be able to get his mouth on it, and it's not too tight on him.

EDIT: I have a chain collar for when I walk him that's a quasi-choke collar; it doesn't choke him, but it has prongs that pinch his neckflesh a little if he lunges at something. If he's acting calm and walking alongside me like he's supposed to, it doesn't hurt him at all. But, that's a supplemental collar, it's not something you can leave on him all the time.
Xander has one of those too. Otherwise he's liable to rip my arm out of its socket whenever he sees a squirrel or cat. Works pretty well...though, sometimes he gets worked up enough to not give a f*ck anyway.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopmd
After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it.
I understand wanting to solve this (believe me). Just make sure you're not solving the symptom. Try to look at the big picture. The dog may be bored and has no socially acceptable way of releasing energy.

Look at diet, discipline and exercise as well.

If you solve the symptom, it just may manifest itself as something more dangerous and expensive.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply