Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dog Breeders are Nuts!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
kellzey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You think breeders are nuts... deal with Dog Rescue people... even MORE insane..

Nice looking boy.

I think you're doing everything right.

Q

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad I wasn't way out of line on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
FYI: there is currently a Biljac dogfood recall:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...g-food-recall/
Send that to the nutty breeder; with a smirk!
Regards, GF.
Haha, yeah I saw that after I had sent my response, but it is funny. I've come to realize that they don't listen to anything I say so even if I did mention it they would either ignore it, rationalize it, or fail to see the irony. Which brings me to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yep, crazy.

Regarding your response: I find total ignore is the best way. I understand the desire to get down in the mud and duke it out, but with that type of person you can't "win".

Seriously, is it possible to just ignore?
That is exactly what I've decide to do. I have received two responses from them (one from each of the ladies) but any further correspondence would be pointless. Time and again they have proved that they think there is only one way of doing something (theirs) and any other way will result in immediate, serious and expensive harm to the dog.

My wife originally meant to try to reconcile with them, but in part due to the responses in this thread, and in part due to her realization that conversations with them are pointless, she has thankfully reconsidered. It is my intention to initiate no further contact with them. If in the future, they ask in a respectful way for an update or pictures of Brolly, I will oblige, though I know it will probably result in a negative response from them. (In both of the two previous instances I've emailed them photos, they have responded negatively. The first time we were chastised for a toy they saw in the picture they didn't approve of. The second time we were chastised for not having his ears taped, although we explicitly mentioned in the email the picture was taken in the few minutes between changing the tape.)

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1939 Times on 1402 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

I just don't understand this. They breed dogs. They sell dogs. They do not continue to own the dogs, nor have any right to ownership. You are not renting the dog, you OWN it. Unless a court of law decides that you are abusing or mistreating YOUR dog, you will get to continue to own it.

I'll be honest here and make the disclaimer that I am not a vet, or an expert in dog health, but that dog looks very healthy to me. Yes you can see the ribs, which is not necessarily normal for all breeds, but a Doberman is a thin breed and active. They tend to have a thin look and judging by the muscle tone and coat I'd say he's a healthy dog. You are feeding your dog much better than I feed mine, I can tell you that much.

I'm curious to know what kind of tests the breeder are certified to perform on a dog to understand it's health, as compared to, say, a trained vet? Can they do blood workup? Urinalysis?

Another thought. Are you sure they aren't getting recompense from the makers of "their" food?? I could imagine a case where the food company would want to target breeders for kickbacks and incentives...

Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I just don't understand this. They breed dogs. They sell dogs. They do not continue to own the dogs, nor have any right to ownership. You are not renting the dog, you OWN it. Unless a court of law decides that you are abusing or mistreating YOUR dog, you will get to continue to own it.

I'll be honest here and make the disclaimer that I am not a vet, or an expert in dog health, but that dog looks very healthy to me. Yes you can see the ribs, which is not necessarily normal for all breeds, but a Doberman is a thin breed and active. They tend to have a thin look and judging by the muscle tone and coat I'd say he's a healthy dog. You are feeding your dog much better than I feed mine, I can tell you that much.

I'm curious to know what kind of tests the breeder are certified to perform on a dog to understand it's health, as compared to, say, a trained vet? Can they do blood workup? Urinalysis?

Another thought. Are you sure they aren't getting recompense from the makers of "their" food?? I could imagine a case where the food company would want to target breeders for kickbacks and incentives...
I know that they are actually resellers of the "Blue Ridge Beef" raw food that they "require". I'm not aware of any connection between them and Bil-Jac, though.

As far as Brolly's weight, I agree with you and our vet agrees with you. He was starting to get just slightly under the condition we've been keeping him due to him hitting another growth spurt. But he's not nearly as underweight as the breeders seemed to think. I've done a lot of reading on bigger breeds and there is a large body of evidence suggesting that keeping a dog slim during their first year prevents them from growing too fast (though they will still hit the same adult size, just slower), which in turn helps prevent musculoskeletal diseases like hip dysplasia later in life. Of course mentioning this to these particular breeders is met with a response similar to if you told them you were feeding the dog nothing but twinkies.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like you found a good dog, it's just too bad some crazies came with it. I happen to prefer uncut/bobbed dogs but it's YOUR dog. You didn't lease this dog from the breeders did ya?

He is still a pup and looks good. Almost sounds like they want him to be chunky but then they criticize your feeding amount...if you're not them you are doing it wrong apparently...

Old 08-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

No more whacked than Breed Rescue groups. Before I got Boss Bailey from Project POOCH, I went to a local greyhound group. I've had greyhounds for 8 years at that point. They insisted that:
They had to visit my home to approve it.
They would chose the dog, I had no say in it.
They had to have access to my vet's records.
They had a right to take any dog back whenever they wanted.

Strangely enough, Greyhound Pets of America dis-enfranchised the group about a year later.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
UJMRYDER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have had some Dobies over the years and your dog (weight wise) looks about perfect. Dobies are supposed to be thin working dogs. Maybe carrying a little extra weight when they are growing helps with their weight during growth spurts, but they need to stay trim as an adult.

Yes, most dog people are nuts. Come to think of it, a lot of parents are nuts too.

This is where you will hate me............Please do not do that again to a dogs ears. Yes, I too like the looks of the trimmed ears but I do not think I could put another dog through that for vanities sake.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I have received two responses from them (one from each of the ladies) but any further correspondence would be pointless.
Please copy and paste these. I must see more!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGingerBrewing View Post
Please copy and paste these. I must see more!
Haha, I wasn't sure whether I should post their responses since it doesn't factor into my question regarding if my response was appropriate, but since there is interest, here are the two emails I received. I haven't and don't plan on responding.

Email from the lady who wrote the other emails in the first post:

Brian

thanks for your email and I am on NO MEDS so I thank you for your concern I will not bother you ever again about anything concerning, my dog that I sold you. I am glad that you like him so much and I wish you nothing but the best. Since I have had this breed for 52 years I know that I am knowledgeable about what they should eat. By the looks of Brolly he is not doing well on that dog food. So I wish you all of the best with your boy.

Thank you for your nasty email to me but when I care and want to educate I am passsionate
Best of luck,

And here is the email from the other lady (her "partner"):

Morning Erin and Brian,

I have to tell you when I saw the picture's you sent of the puppy my first impression and then questions to myself were " Is he not eating? " "Why is he so thin? "Something must be wrong?" I did not say anything to -name removed- and almost deleted the photo, but I did not. She reacted the same way I did and then came to me and asked what I saw.?

Now, the fact that we have not heard from you basically since you picked him up and we have heard from the others, makes us a little suspect about the whole situation. I will also say to you Brian, I remember a phone conversation that you and I had in the beginning about food and I questioned -name removed- then about selling you a puppy and trouble in the future, since you were already searching out Puppy diets after we had already shared with you why and how we feed and supplement our dogs. We do not recommend feeding a "puppy diet". Never have and I do not believe we ever will unless they drastically change their formulas. I learned a long time ago to "never say never" Keep an opened mind so you can expand and learn new things but some folks just can't do that, I guess.

The disrespectful comments you threw at -name removed- Brian, just shows your immaturity and ignorance of dealing with a situation with your fellow humans, in my humble opinion. I hope you don't treat your other elder's that way?
There is no reason to be ugly and negative when someone is just trying to convey to you the "error's of your ways" Typo mistakes will occur when you are so upset and your brain is going faster than your fingers. You will experience that someday as well and I can only hope for your sake that nobody is that rude to point them out to you someday?

If we didn't care so much I guess it wouldn't bother us when someone sends a photo of a dog that looks too lean for his growth stage , yes, the ears look good at this point and for that we commend you,, but they are not done if all he teeth are not in yet, again, our experience, but the body condition does not, , to us . The fact that you have had him to a Vet already and for what I can only imagine, since we advise staying away from germs and sick animals for the most part unless you have an obvious problem that you must call on a Vet for help, tells us that is was a waste of our time and energy when we sold you this beautiful puppy and gave you all the info about how and why we grow our dogs up. We will now revamp our contract to reflect your problems so they are minimized the next time.

If you can remember again my saying that I always tell folks " the minute you turn left or right out of the driveway we really have no control" you Brian ,are a prime example of why I say that. Not Erin, since she has not said much and you seem to do all the talking , in this case anyway.

I will close by saying I wish you luck and hope the dog lives a long and happy life
We will not bother you again and there is no need to respond to this either, I will not get into a pissing match with you about breeding and caring for Dobermans. You are a Novice and will learn by your mistakes, I know we did.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
my dog that I sold you.
HAH! That means it is not their dog anymore but they have a hard time realizing that.

At least you got them off your back now.

Quick Reply