Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Does anyone else think that there is a craft brewery "bubble" forming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
gregkeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I see it as more of a paradigm shift in all things. People are going back to locally made products, more artisanal products. It seems like people might, might, have seen the downside of industrialized food and are looking for alternatives. People who are into food are embracing their local farmers markets where they can talk to the person who plucked their carrots out of the ground. People who drink great beer want to talk to the brewmaster and know what malts are in the beer they are drinking at that moment, what was the hop schedule on the IPA they just enjoyed. I see people becoming more aware of what they are purchasing/consuming. With the amount of information out there on the interwebs, people are becoming a little better versed in the products they use everyday and we are seeing that by the increase in the number of things like microbrewies, farmers markets, restaurants who celebrate farm to table, etc. Hopefully it's here to stay.

Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Logan's Little IPA (baby's session IPA)
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Brett Saison, Berliner Weiss, Heady Topper clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

^ +1 to that. Florida is really virgin territory when it comes to craft breweries. We're just now starting to see a surge in brewing growth in our area. That being said, there's an equal amount of brew pubs popping up producing "blah" beers as well as ones producing some really good stuff.

Quality and a simple bit of business sense is going to keep a lot of the good craft breweries in business. Tap rooms of the good craft brewers are always overflowing, and the better brew pubs are doing well.

****, if buffalo wild wings can survive serving up crap wings and cheap BMC, craft is going to continue to grow here at a 30% rate.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Tex
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Where are all these brew pubs in DFW? I'm over in ft worth and besides Rahr I'm unaware of any new breweries/brew pubs coming up on our side of the metroplex. My roommate works at BJ's and he told me they can't legally brew and sell on the same property in Tarrant county. He is an idiot though and may be completely wrong...sorry to thread jack.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

I don't see a bubble yet. At the start of the craft beer movement there were plenty of wannabees and not a lot of great brewing.

These days, not only are there more qualified brewers, but a population gaining in craft beer acceptance.

As the number of microbreweries grows you will continue to hear stories of some of them going out of business. It happens. I don't think there is going to be a massive exodus from craft beer any time soon.

If I lived near a good brewpub I'd spend a considerable amount of time there, drinking, hanging out, helping.

Matter of fact, there is a place only 15 minutes away adding on and I see they have windows installed and are now working on the interior. Only taking 1/5 years longer to get going than originally planned!

I foresee a homebrew club forming in the area with meetings held there.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
I can't bump into two homebrewers without one saying he wants to "go pro". Everyone wants to open a brewery, but there is definitely a limit to the amount of brands any given market can sustain. The question is how many that number is. Personally I only think about that stuff when its someone else talking about it.
There is really only a pretty small percentage of the population that knows how to make beer. There is an even smaller percentage of the population that knows how to make GOOD beer. I encourage anyone that wants to take it to the next step, if you think your brews are as good or better than what's available, then share it with the people .

Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

Nah, definitely not for me, too much work. I have a nice retirement coming at 43 years old. I plan on spending it brewing for myself .

Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
IPAfreek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeller View Post
I see it as more of a paradigm shift in all things. People are going back to locally made products, more artisanal products. It seems like people might, might, have seen the downside of industrialized food and are looking for alternatives. People who are into food are embracing their local farmers markets where they can talk to the person who plucked their carrots out of the ground. People who drink great beer want to talk to the brewmaster and know what malts are in the beer they are drinking at that moment, what was the hop schedule on the IPA they just enjoyed. I see people becoming more aware of what they are purchasing/consuming. With the amount of information out there on the interwebs, people are becoming a little better versed in the products they use everyday and we are seeing that by the increase in the number of things like microbrewies, farmers markets, restaurants who celebrate farm to table, etc. Hopefully it's here to stay.
+1 I do notice in my area of Virginia that we see more of the local brewery's beers on the shelves than more of the bigger craft brewery's beers. I see more Gordon Bierch, Red Star, Old Dominion than I do DFH and stone. I think people are really starting to boost their own local economy by getting a better product locally produced or grown. I think if there were a "bubble", it would be in areas or states that have an almost overabundance of craft breweries, i.e. San Diego. My 2 cents

Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHanx View Post
wow. that's a lot. someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's more than maybe 30 or so breweries in all of Texas. wikipedia shows 25, there's a few missing from that list though but not much.
37. At least according to a tweet from the TABC a week or so ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Where are all these brew pubs in DFW? I'm over in ft worth and besides Rahr I'm unaware of any new breweries/brew pubs coming up on our side of the metroplex. My roommate works at BJ's and he told me they can't legally brew and sell on the same property in Tarrant county. He is an idiot though and may be completely wrong...sorry to thread jack.
There's the Zio Carlo Magolia Brewpub in Fort Worth. Not sure what the status of it is, I'm in Dallas, so I don't make it over to Cowtown very often. I do know the owner isn't a fan of the President. The only brewpubs I know if in Dallas are the chains.

Carboy 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Carboy 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

one thing to also consider is that estimated overall beer sales were down about 1% toward the end of 2010, while craft beer sales were up 15% in the beginning of 2011. this has been the trend the past few years also from what i have read. my understanding also is that craft brewing is just under 5% of total beer sales. so the trend might also be changing taste and there is plenty of room for that.

of course, on a local level i do believe in what has also been said about a market and what can be sustained, that is just business. living in in a city with many breweries, i am quite glad for the selection and support who i can. plus i can't wait for one of denver's newest breweries, crooked stave, to open its doors down here (they are brewing out of funkwerks up in fort collins right now).

b

Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
PoorBoy
All Around Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It seems like every time I turn around, someone is opening a brewery or brewpub. SWMBO is pushing me to do something with mine, to somehow incorporate it into my retirement plan (which is still at least 4 years away), but I'm just not sure of the return on the investment with the market becoming increasingly saturated. It's true that even in hard economic times, alcohol sales remain strong, but I can see cost to income ratios becoming problematic in the future. If you aren't First, you'd better be Best.

Old Goat Brewing

Annapolis Homebrew Club

Quick Reply