Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Which do you drink first, commercial or hb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
diptherunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Which do you drink first, commercial or hb?

I've noticed that when j get a chance to have a beer, i tend to save homebrew for some reason, and drink commercial stuff. Part of it comes from a desire to see how it improves, but also I think it's due to the effort and patience required. Anyone else have this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I tend to give out the commercial stuff and horde the HB for myself.

Selfish, yes
Worth it, yes

Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I don't buy a lot of commercial beer just to keep a supply of beer. That need is filled by homebrew. I do have some homebrew I don't like to share much, specifically my sours, but I don't mind sharing the rest. I'll share my sours with people who will appreciate them but I don't want to hand out all my sours just to have people not enjoy them when I could be enjoying them thoroughly. I don't have the room to brew enough sours to give them away freely. Sorry, if you want to see if you like sour beer I can recommend some cheap options at the liquor store. If you like it, come back and I'll happily share some of mine. When I do buy commercial beer, it's usually beers I hunted down and selfishly only want to share with my wife and myself. We usually only buy one bottle so that's our only opportunity to enjoy.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I haven't purchased any commercial beer (for home) in almost two years (since starting to brew my own). Since I started kegging, I've had even less desire to purchase beer. When I want a beer, I simply pull a pint/glass and enjoy it. I still have some in bottles, from before I started to keg, that I'll probably start chilling some of too.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

I almost always want to grab a bottle of commercial from the door of the kegerator, but I think part of that is the fact that I need variety, so drinking the same HB day after day tends to get a bit tedious. Also, I have a keg of DOS EQUIS on the right tap (which is actually pretty good!), and a keg of fruity Blonde on the left tap, so there isn't much good HB to choose from right now.

I have a chocolate porter in bottles, but I'm letting that age 1-2 more weeks before digging in and really those are for the wife and friends (maybe...)

I need to brew up a batch or two of stout for some guys at work.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am the same way with the exception of good homebrew IPA's. I'll drink those first, but let my other homebrews age more while I drink some commercial beers. I feel like hb IPA's lose their flavor quicker than commercial brews. Could be wrong, but it keeps me drinking them young.

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Quick Reply