Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Do hydrometer's go to heaven?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Do hydrometer's go to heaven?

I had a huge brew schedule this weekend. Bought enough stuff to make 3- 10 gallon batches (American Amber, Pumpkin Ale, and a Hallertau/Belgian Pils SMASH)

I'm giving these beers away as christmas gifts, and I'm running a little late to get them started, so I figured I'd do a bunch this weekend and a bunch next. Saturday, I had a few friends over to watch college football and help me brew. Got the first beer done, and I was about to drain it from the keggle to the fermentor, when my hydrometer (sanitized and sitting on the counter) suddenly took a spill because a friend bumped it on accident.

I watched in slow motion as it fell to it's death. I'd like to think if it had a brain, all of the previous brews it had tested were flashing in front of it's eyes.

So...I now have a complete beer, starters made for one more that night and another on Sunday...but no hydrometer to test them with.

I decided to go ahead with the beers and just face the fact that I may not be able to reproduce them if my efficiency was off. Although, I've hit 75-80% consistantly over the last few years.

Long post....I know. Just wanted to vent, as I'm sure others have done the same thing as me. Oh, and it just happened to be 4:45 when it broke, and the LHBS closes at 5pm. It's 20 minutes away. I called and hoped they'd offer to stay open for another 10 minutes, but no luck.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, one of my cats saw it sitting on the drying rack last week, and found it was too tempting to pass up. Good thing they're only like $5 at my local HBS.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

True...and I guess since I only break them once every 2-3 years, no biggy.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

A bit late for sugesstions now I know, but for in 2-3 years think about collecting enough wort in jars/glasses/cups/anything that will hold liquid, stick in the fridge and test in a few days when you get a new hydrometer.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 987 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 2053

Well, it depends.

Are you Catholic? Then your hydrometer will go to purgartory, where it will sit and wait until you brew a sufficient number of outstanding beers to release it to heaven. If you are unable to meet this requirement, then for a small contribution, you can bypass this step and see your hydrometer in heaven.

Are you Hindu? Then your hydrometer will be reincarnated, probably as a LHBS owner offering extraordinarily good advice to newbs, helping usher them into the community of homebrewers. Unless, of course, your hydrometer was involved in some exceptionally bad brewing, in which case it will be reincarnated as a barley which will be malted and eventually used to brew Keystone Light.

Suthrncomfrt1884 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
Domminigan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
it will be reincarnated as a barley which will be malted and eventually used to brew Keystone Light.
That's luck, as they only use one grain of barleymalt a year.

"For beer, that's not what 'import' means. For beer, import just means better."

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Well, it depends.

Are you Catholic? Then your hydrometer will go to purgartory, where it will sit and wait until you brew a sufficient number of outstanding beers to release it to heaven. If you are unable to meet this requirement, then for a small contribution, you can bypass this step and see your hydrometer in heaven.

Are you Hindu? Then your hydrometer will be reincarnated, probably as a LHBS owner offering extraordinarily good advice to newbs, helping usher them into the community of homebrewers. Unless, of course, your hydrometer was involved in some exceptionally bad brewing, in which case it will be reincarnated as a barley which will be malted and eventually used to brew Keystone Light.
A big thumbs up for this answer! That made my day.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply