Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > DIY Canned food rolling organizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
njporter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DIY Canned food rolling organizer

I stumbled upon this and love the idea but it looks like it has some faults and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to improve it?

http://www.classyclutter.net/2012/05/build-your-own-extra-storage-diy-canned.html

My biggest concern is that its free standing and i would worry it would move side to side to much when pulling it and out (or scratch up the wall to much)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Agreed that if it is freestanding it is an accident waiting to happen. One could mount a 30" full extension drawer slide on top and use non-caster wheels.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
njporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

to do a draw slide on top though you would need the organizer to go as high as the ceiling right? if you decide to put one on the bottom, you would need to screw it to the kitchen floor right?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
aeviaanah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Look up V Groove wheels, they use a track system mounted on the floor. Might be useful for this situation. A ceiling mounted track would work also.

http://hopville.com/brewer/aeviaanah

Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why not mount a full extension rail on the wall side about 2/3 of the way up, if you're worried about it tipping? You need to be higher than the center of gravity but you don't need to be top and bottom.

For the record though, you should be fine with fixed wheels...hell the bottom of a set of roller blades would work great, as long as you create a jig to mount them in a line.

The biggest issue you can run into is the habit of putting all your cans at eye level and making it top heavy. If the center of gravity goes above the handle, it may want to tip instead of roll out.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Quick Reply