Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dish Network HD!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2352 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Default Dish Network HD!

Guy coming over today to install a HD dish on our house, and get us set up with HD! Have heard good things about Dish's HD quality compared to others. I've had good luck with Dish so far. Even my tech support issues have been dealt with very nicely.

Wings in HD!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've had DishHD for at least a year now and it's really good. I hope you're getting the VIP622 receiver which is a two tuner DVR with a TV2 SD output meaning you can access the DVR content from a second TV. If you have decent local broadcast stations nearby, I'd seriously suggest also getting an HD OTA antenna and plugging that into your receiver. It will give you a 3rd recording slot on the DVR.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I've had mine for about a year and love it. They keep adding HD stations, which is always nice.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1.

Watch football on the HD channel, then mid play, switch to the regular channel. You'll wet yourself!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I wish I could get DishHD (or DirectvHD), but neither offer local stations in HD yet and I don't want to put a 20' antenna on top of the house.

Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
I wish I could get DishHD (or DirectvHD), but neither offer local stations in HD yet and I don't want to put a 20' antenna on top of the house.
you do know that you'll still get the non HD channels right?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
Depending on how local your local stations are, you might be able to get by with a small, amplified, indoor antenna. I have DishHD and my locals aren't in HD yet either so I'm using a $30 antenna from Best Buy and it does pretty well depending on the weather. Not perfect, but cheaper/easier than something roof mounted and for me it'll work until Dish does locals in HD.

Also, the ViP722 is the latest & greatest from Dish. I think it's nearly identical to the 622 (with an OTA antenna, you can record three shows at once), but it has a larger hard drive.

Edit: I do pay for the SD locals, but I never watch them because they look like crap on my TV. I don't know if it's simply because they're SD or because the Dish box does a crappy job of converting them to 1080i, but I can't stand it anymore now that I'm used to HD. I'm going to get rid of the local package until they do have HD in my area.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

20' antenna is unlikely. I have one in my attic pointed towards Manhattan and I get all the locals clearly in the winter, spotty in the summer. I'm pretty sure simply moving that same antenna on top of the roof would make all the difference, but it hasn't been a priorty since I do get HD locals over the sat. My biggest motivation is gaining the 3-tuner recording slots. Believe it or not, between my wife and I, we do encounter a conflict with recordings now and then.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
20' antenna is unlikely. I have one in my attic pointed towards Manhattan and I get all the locals clearly in the winter, spotty in the summer. I'm pretty sure simply moving that same antenna on top of the roof would make all the difference, but it hasn't been a priorty since I do get HD locals over the sat. My biggest motivation is gaining the 3-tuner recording slots. Believe it or not, between my wife and I, we do encounter a conflict with recordings now and then.
I've been wanting to drop cable and just use OTA, but when reading the local AVS forum thread, I get discouraged everytime. The closest HD stations are 30 miles away and most are 50+ miles. I've looked at antennas people use near me to get the 4 major networks and these are the type of antennas they are using:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...V/101_1020.jpg Images linked because they're too big to embed.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...Picture001.jpg
Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2352 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I've had DishHD for at least a year now and it's really good. I hope you're getting the VIP622 receiver which is a two tuner DVR with a TV2 SD output meaning you can access the DVR content from a second TV. If you have decent local broadcast stations nearby, I'd seriously suggest also getting an HD OTA antenna and plugging that into your receiver. It will give you a 3rd recording slot on the DVR.
We got the 722, which is very nice, and has more record time. I got a peek at the ESPN-HD before coming back to work, and I'm still a bit stiff, if you know what I mean!

Cannot wait to see the hockey in HD! We also signed up for 3 months of movies channels for free, and there is some nice stuff going on, although TBH, DVDs look as good, so I'll probably just scan for stuff to record at night.

Also, the guy hooked me up with component cables, and I still have to get the HDMI cables, but the image seems pretty good so far anyway.

One problem, is that the second tv is SD, but he hooked it up using the coax cable, and I'll want to hook it up to the DVD recorder. I asked if there was a device to hook it up to a TV that didn't have the RF input, and he said he never saw one like that before. He has always been able to hook up using the coax. Not a huge deal, but I think that if I had a surround amp on that set (and I will eventually), then I'd like to be able to hook it up somehow.

Might have to bring that DVD player back into the family room to record TV shows off the DVR.

Quick Reply