Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Didn't need an F'n doctor to tell me this one....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
BleedsDogFish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Didn't need an F'n doctor to tell me this one....

Recess or Ritalin? - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - ADHD

I believe most who are diagnosed with this don't need it, but then again I don't have any kids........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Sk84BeeR
Recipes 

When i was a kid i was told on several occasions that i had ADD. I told my parents flat out that i only didn't pay attention when i didn't care. They seemed to understand that. Even when i was younger i realized that being punished for my actions was better than being drugged for my actions.

I don't dispute that ADD happens, but there are too many parents that simply give up. I think that goes for most common mental illnesses as well (ex. depression, insomnia, manic depression, ect.). All too often we get the, " whoopsie, we should have just...instead of introducing all those drugs"

I don't have any solutions or revelations about this, I just wanted to rant. thanks, good topic.

Think of something inspirational. Then pretend I wrote it here.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yeah, this is a real breakthrough.

Quote:
Ample research suggests that all children, especially those with ADD or ADHD, need school recesses and other unstructured play time to function at their best.
Thank GOD someone spent money to research that. Children? Needing playtime? Seriously, who would have thought of that?

-Joe

Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The medical profession along with the Psychiatrists are the new 'gods' of the world. Intuition and common sense are parallel to voodoo.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My nephew was diagnosed with ADHD when he was like 8 and acting up in school. So they put him on Ritalin. Did it help? No. It made him zombie-like, but he wasn't remotely the person he had been. So they took him off the Ritalin. He continued to act up. They put him in military school. Straight A's ever since and an excellent level of self-confidence (as opposed to sullen and/or shy attitude before). It doesn't work for everyone, but man was a little discipline a better way for him to go.

When I was a kid (not that long ago), if you acted up, you got detention or sent to the principal's office. And THEN your parents dealt with you. One of my favorite quotes still comes from South Park "You can either calm down or I can pop you in the mouth again."

[youtube]qJXi8czPLYA[/youtube]

Old 10-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
flyboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sk84beer, I think you know that it the turn or the century. I just don't think you know that it's the turn of the 21st century. Your views about mental illnress is exact.y the way doctors thought in the middle ages when they viewed mental illness as a behavior problem. I half expected you to mention demon posession. My wife has depression and my daughter has ADD. And it's because I didn't give up on them that they got the right medication. Doctors who study the brain understand a whole lot more about what goes on in the brain and how it works. It's people like you and your backwards thinking that's creating a stigma on these issues preventing people from getting the help they need.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

I have a working theory about America that encompasses this breakthrough. It goes something along the lines of this:

Quote:
There is a direct correlation between the increase in the number of scientific studies published and the general degradation of our society over time.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
knarfks
Recipes 

I'm in the medical profession and I would actually side with sk84beer on this one. Most of the time we as a society are way too lazy to actually work to find a solution so we just take a pill. I have seen people who are addicted to their xanax, ativan etc. because they were not willing to put in the effort to cange their life. I have worked with too many of these people to count.

Doctors do just give people meds to appease them, it happens all the time. People will get irrate if you don't just give them an instant fix medication. Most things take effort, not just a pill. Many people's mental problems are just like obesity. The poor choices they make put them in the position to exacerbate their conditions. They may require help from a medical professional, but it is time consuming and requires better choices over a lifetime.

There are numerous studies showing the relation of exercise and forcing yourself to be social and just doing activities of daily living improves most mental illness.

All that being said there is still mental illness that requires medications. There are some people who require antidepressants, some children with ADHD require meds. There also conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia etc that exist without a doubt and must have medications to be treated. But in all of these cases exercise and a decent diet will help the person's behavior as well.

Flyboy, if you and your family put in effort to to fight these disorders and they still required meds, good you are seeking help and I'm sorry your family has to suffer with these problems. That is what the medical field and medications are for.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I am against medicating 100%. With that being said our youngest is on Adderal. Childrens rittalin.

He still has tons of energy. Is a kid and acts like a kid. We tried 2 different doses and the higher dose made him a zombie. He is on the lowest does made.

He used to be extremely mean to the animals around the house for no reason. he broke every toy he ever got. Broke anything that he could get his hands on. No amount of discipline no matter what form seemed to make a difference in what he did. He would look you in the eye and do it. And trust me I never held back with the belt. It got to a point where I was going to step over the line from discipline to child abuse.
So the wife asked me to have him checked by the docs for possibility of getting him on ADHD meds. We were at our end. So she took him in. Doc gave us a test- 100 questions. We answered them and took it back. They use 10 of the questions as the actual questions so you dont really know what they are looking for. We hit on all ten. He prescribed us the meds.
Within 2 days we saw the transformation. He was polite, he listened and has never been mean to the dogs or cats since. He will watch 20 min of tv now as to where he could never sit still for 2 seconds. Not that we let him watch all that much. He is still a kid- still pushes the boundary's but he respects his mother and I. We literally could not go out to dinner as a family before. But now its no problem!

I know that is exactly what the meds are for. Our kid legitimately needs them.

I am against medicating kids unless its the only thing you have not tried. Ours was one of the few that I know of that truly needs them and he has never been a zombie.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 to knarfks. The US is filled with a bunch of druggies and doctors are our dealers. Just give these kids some weed, that will fix all their problems.

Quick Reply