Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Did you develop other tastes by homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1873 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Beards, but that's about it.

My Instagram

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBanana View Post

So I'm a single malt scotch guy. I like some blended, but they'll always lose out if I have a choice. Top two favorite Islay and Speyside.
My go to varieties of Scotch are Laphraoig, Glenfiddich and Balvenie, depending on my mood.

Yet, I've also developed a taste for Bourbon.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Not sure if they're linked, but since I started homebrewing I've also moved towards eating a lot healthier.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I've learned to drink a little hard liquor without dying. I can appreciate a bourbon somewhat, probably from some of the bourbon stouts I've tried.

My experience with food and cooking has taken a big bump over the years and there is plenty more to try before I die.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have grown to like Whiskey a lot more. I also have really gotten into Charcuterie.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #16
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 1114

As I started getting more experimental with drinking craft/HB beer, I sort of simultaneously developed a taste for coffee as well as stouts and other "roasty" beers. I couldn't stand either for the longest time, then all of a sudden, both started tasting good. Of course, around the same time, I was also working a stressful job with a long commute, which probably had an influence on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk
I have to say my food tastes have developed as well. Though I have always been willing to try everything once, I have gotten more into picking out the flavors, and textures of what I eat. Now when I experiment with a new food I try to figure out where each part of the experience came from--ingredient or technique.

BTW, I cannot recommend the Bulleit Rye enough. It is excellent.
I've experienced this too. I was an adventurous eater before, but now I can find myself picking out individual spices and other flavors in foods.

+1 on Bulleit Rye, and bourbon in general.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #17
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Haven't really changed my tastes too much outside of normal evolution. I"ve liked scotch for 4 years. Wine I'm working on but I just prefer beer anyway so I typically stick to beer.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's sharpened my palate in general towards both food and drink. I'm not a big wine or liquor guy, but I found myself looking for flavors in the premium tequilas and/or wines that my family like to drink--automatically. Same thing with foods. Whether I'm making an omelette for my girlfriend, or making fresh hummus, and ESPECIALLY with fresh produce. It's been great, but also sad because I have little patience for anything that is not fresh, in season, or well made!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
nDub
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Bread and Sauerkraut. Just made my first sourdough loaf last night! I eat sauerkraut by the forkful now. I think I like making things that are a process like beer/bread/sauerkraut.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nDub View Post
Bread and Sauerkraut. Just made my first sourdough loaf last night! I eat sauerkraut by the forkful now. I think I like making things that are a process like beer/bread/sauerkraut.
One of my favorites is a panini with Italian bread, quality roast beef, Dijon and sauerkraut. It is wonderful! And not to overlook the fact that it causes my daughter to really make a funny face.

I've also started liking stronger cheeses--blue cheese, etc. I've come to appreciate not only the flavors but the natural processes that go into making a quality product.

Beer has also started to change my wife's tastes. She used to prefer BMC (which she'd drink with a straw) and very sweet white wines. She really loves quality beer and is starting to appreciate reds--still turns her nose up at the whiskey though, unless mixed with coke. One time I had a nice bottle of Glenfiddich that was disappearing too fast. I found out she was adding it to coke. Let's just say we had a nice long talk.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Quick Reply