The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Did you develop other tastes by homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Did you develop other tastes by homebrewing?

I never liked wine or whiskey until I started homebrewing about ten years ago. Studying the history, process and profile of various fermented beverages got me interested. I found that the tastes developed through trying many styles of beer also helped me appreciate these other beverages. I have come to truly appreciate wine and whiskey. For wine I really like full, rich reds and for whiskeys I truly enjoy various Scotches and Bourbons. As I write this I'm enjoying a nice glass of Bulleit Rye whiskey.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I think brewing beer at home has caused me to actually taste and experience beer (homebrew and commercial) in a much more specific way. Before I homebrewed, beer was either 'good' or 'bad'. Now I am learning details about the styles; I can even pick out certain hop flavors in brews. I appreciate what it takes to make certain styles - some are much harder than others.

I am starting to explore wines now. I've thrown together several batches of Ed Wort's apfelwein because it is dirt cheap, simple, and good (really a cider I think, but wine-like). I am also experimenting with meads (my wife doesn't like many wines but she likes a moderately sweet mead). I am not a wine connoisseur by any stretch, but I do enjoy dry Reislings and Merlots and I think that may be my next big endeavor, to make a really nice grape wine.

Beer brewing rewards patience with good beer, and winemaking even more so. Starting out as an impatient newbie, a few weeks can seem like forever. When you learn that maybe a couple of months might be better, your mindset changes. When you can master the patience to be willing to make a product that may take years to mature, I think that is a good thing. We live in a world where people expect 24/7 instant gratification. It's easier to be patient with many things (even people) when you can accept that good things come to those who wait.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 335 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Not exactly what you're intending, but I just did my first co-brew-smoke day. I figured I'm outside for most of the day AG brewing, so why not get a smoker and make some BBQ simultaneously. Worked awesome. Aside from the time investment, it's cheaper than going out for BBQ all the time, so now I'm leveraging my brew days.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Ah Bulleit Rye Whiskey; very nice. For me since homebrewing, I pay more attention to commercially made craft beer and thnik about how it is made. I'd say with homebrewing I've gravitated more towards hoppy IPAs; especially doing hop bursts and hopstands.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
Zuljin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3304 Times on 3052 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Not just booze, but other foods. Mushrooms. It used to be I would eat something with mushrooms in it. That's fine. But I wouldn't use them as an ingredient myself. Now I'll grill a portabella to eat as a side. I blame stouts and porters.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

The food pairings forum on HBT is fabulous. People tend to get into ruts about what the put in their mouths. You can't really live on bologna sanwiches on white bread every day. There is so much to experience out there!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have to say my food tastes have developed as well. Though I have always been willing to try everything once, I have gotten more into picking out the flavors, and textures of what I eat. Now when I experiment with a new food I try to figure out where each part of the experience came from--ingredient or technique.

BTW, I cannot recommend the Bulleit Rye enough. It is excellent.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 4029

I wouldn't say developed, but refined. I've always had "expensive" tastes for a kid from the trailer park, but after I started brewing they got a little more "expensive".

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It's improved my cooking. I'm better at thinking about ingredients and imagining how the flavors will blend together when cooked.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My interests deepened the more I got into beer history and traditional brews. If anything I've become more of a purist with other spirits.

Experimentation has always been par for the course with beer. With spirits I don't like a lot of fiddling about.

So I'm a single malt scotch guy. I like some blended, but they'll always lose out if I have a choice. Top two favorite Islay and Speyside.

Don't much go for whiskeys for the simple fact that "filler" grains find their way into the mash. What bugs me is the fact there was a point in time that whiskey was barley only. So I just stick with scotch because single male whiskeys cost more on average and taste like scotch. Just less peat smoke.

I did finally track down a "rye". I love rye beer so I had to try rye whiskey. It was really good. But I don't know if it was single-malt. Tried it before I dove into some research. "Rye" has to contain at least 51% rye malt so the rest can be anything. And distillers are WAY behind the increasing and renewed interest in ryes. Single-malt anyway.

Quick Reply