Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Did jesus drink beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #51
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Thanks for this thread. I enjoyed it.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #52
ckcanady
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
I just heard that the pope is getting a Twitter account. I think I'm going to ask him directly.
I would love for the Pope to answer the Question " what is considered a 'Strong Drink' in the time of Jesus?". And what was more common/ likely for Jesus to drink?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #53
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318 View Post
Either way, beer or wine, it's obvious that Jesus was ok with alcohol. Alcohol in and of itself is amoral.
i don't think i get this... the ultimate morality is ok with something innately immoral?

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #54
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2808 Times on 1833 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher

i don't think i get this... the ultimate morality is ok with something innately immoral?
Alcohol isn't immoral. The overindulgence in alcohol is immoral.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #55
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_male View Post
Id say he only drank beer since grains were alot more common than grapes ..im sure it just got lost in translation
But Jesus's time would have fallen under Roman rules, and the ME was greatly influenced by the Greeks. Both of whom love their wine. So I don't think having wine shipped in would be an irregularity.

as far as drinking in the bible, it's all translation shenanigans. Any form of pressed grape in hebrew or greek has the same word. So Grape Juice and Wine are the same. So were they actually drinking wine as we know it? Or Grape Juice?

I mean in the end who cares, but I'd like to think that Jesus wouldn't mind sitting down and enjoying a good beer.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #56
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
as far as drinking in the bible, it's all translation shenanigans. Any form of pressed grape in hebrew or greek has the same word. So Grape Juice and Wine are the same. So were they actually drinking wine as we know it? Or Grape Juice?
Most wine was fermented in Jesus' time, though you are correct that the Greek and Hebrew make no distinction. However, in one parable Jesus explains you don't put new wine into old wineskins because they will burst. That is undoubtedly from fermentation, most likely from wild yeast on the grape skins when they were pressed.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #57
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsuds View Post
Most wine was fermented in Jesus' time, though you are correct that the Greek and Hebrew make no distinction. However, in one parable Jesus explains you don't put new wine into old wineskins because they will burst. That is undoubtedly from fermentation, most likely from wild yeast on the grape skins when they were pressed.
Very true. I think at the time what they drank both. It was kind of like drink what you could to stay alive.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #58
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If there actually was a Jesus character, pretty sure he'd have been fine with drinking beer.... Numerous passages in the Bible written by a variety of people on the issue of people drinking wine to excess... good and bad.... Based on years of studying the Bible, pretty sure he'd be an IPA kind of guy...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #59
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
But Jesus's time would have fallen under Roman rules, and the ME was greatly influenced by the Greeks. Both of whom love their wine. So I don't think having wine shipped in would be an irregularity.
No need to have it shipped in, the ME was making plenty of their own wine at the time, if anything, they were the ones exporting the stuff. Back then, they were the agricultural center of the ancient world.

There is not doubt the ancients loved a good drink. Pliny has an entire chapter of his Encyclopedia dedicated to 'wine' and it's not a short chapter. Those guys were fermenting anything and everything with sugar in it.

Anyone have a clone for Jesus's '5 minute wedding wine' ?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #60
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Just use some common sense. There weren't many preservatives used during the era (except maybe salt curing) so pretty much as soon as grape juice was pressed, it started gradual fermentation. The same for beer or any other grain beverage, i'm sure the originators in several world cultures discovered that boiling some partially sprouted grains created a nice sweet drink, and not long after that, the wild yeasts turned it into a nice alcoholic drink. I would also tend to believe that, while grapes weren't accessible to the common man, that grains were. So, I would deduce that grain beverages would have been much much more common than wine.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply