Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "For Deposit Only" check / Banking Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
trinitone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
Just to cap off this story, I went to (his) bank this morning and presented the question to the teller. She was really nice and was kind of intrigued herself. This was probably voilating some kind of protocol but after typing away for a second she said that there is insufficient money in his account to cash the check, but there are two pretty large pending deposits that would cover the check once they cleared. So, having a reasonable confidence that the check would clear I went over to my bank and deposited it like usual.

She added that writing "For Deposit Only" on the check technically does mean they should not cash the check, but if there were sufficient funds and the Payee was correctly identifiable then she would do it.

......Startup architects are worse than teenagers in the mall when it comes to money....
The least the guy could do is be like "Look, I'm a little short right now but the check will clear on such and such a date."

Just remember that if his check comes back as NSF, then you are responsible and the bank usually charges you a fee as well.
Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yea I also talked to the guy who wrote the check today and warned him that if it comes back he is paying me the entire amount + fee CASH.

And I totally agree with the fact that he should just speak up. If he game me the check and asked me to not deposit it until Monday or something, no prob. I already know he is hanging on by a financial shoestring so it's not like there is an embarrassment factor any more! The funny thing is that I'll work 6 hours a night for two weeks for this guy, inclluding all day Saturday and Sunday, and then it's like I'm screwing him over in getting my money! If it weren't excellent side-cash then I'd just avoid working for him but he actually pays well.....when he pays!

Old 01-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
If it weren't excellent side-cash then I'd just avoid working for him but he actually pays well.....when he pays!
next time I recomend cash up front

Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I find it fun to put random crap on the memo line. For example, i run the fantasy FB league for some friends and had to pay out to a few of them ( i won it all this year) so in the memo i put things like, "for a good time" or "for happy ending". it makes me laugh thinking of them taking that check to the bank.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Pumbaa, good idea. I agree.

Reverend, I actually rent from a friend of mine and occasionally write nice little memo's for him on the checks, myself. He drew the line when I wrote "Bl*w J*b" on one and he demanded a new check. Though he did think it was funny. We both decided there might even be some legal implications on that one.....

Old 01-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #16
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I ran into a couple bounced checks in one of my business, and finally got to the point where I only accept certified funds (cashier's check, money order) or cash.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #17
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In some states a post dated check is illegal and considered an admission that the funds are unavailable, hence "Insufficient Funds."

Quick Reply