Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Deleted my Facebook profile and it feels GREAT. Highly recommended!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #41
Roadliner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I can't imagine not having my FB account. Sure I spend too much time on it. But I'm a military guy. Easily the best way to keep in touch with everyone from back home and elsewhere that I've met.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #42
kroach01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I deleted my FB a while back too. I still talk to the people I want to and I feel so much better. In retrospect it was a big waste of time and mostly just people looking to get "likes"
I left mostly for professional reasons, but too much garbage on FB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #43
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
I can't imagine not having my FB account. Sure I spend too much time on it. But I'm a military guy. Easily the best way to keep in touch with everyone from back home and elsewhere that I've met.
Now THAT is a GOOD reason to keep it.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #44
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd

Eh, we actually have a lot of meaningful discussion in the debate forum here. Granted, there is still some name calling and closed-mindedness, but the majority of the discussion is thoughtful and meaningful.
And when there is, it's usually BrewKnurd that's doing it, but..
No, just kidding. It's me. Pay your $25 and come on over, you'll have a blast.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #45
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Well, I guess if you equate occasional name calling to an overall atmosphere of disrespect, then ok.... to me there's a significant distinction between the how the OP presented things and what exists in our debate forum.

So you can rest your case, but if I'm on the jury, I'm unconvinced.
So I express my opinion and you get on me for it? I rest my case.

Oh, don't worry...this isn't really on my case like usually in a political forum, but hopefully you see the irony in your post.

"THICK SKIN A MUST!" Hmmm.... sounds like I might have to do some exploring.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #46
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
So, I'd post stuff on FB to get a discussion going... but it seems people don't like to have a "discussion."
There's your mistake. I never have or never will post anything controversial on facebook. At best, you will get people who agree with you, but most likely you will also piss off a lot of people.

I am 25 and all my good friends and I keep our facebook updates to a minimum and steer clear of any controversy. It goes beyond politics, too. I don't want to hear about how you just ran three miles. I don't care that you checked into a boring restaurant with your clingy girlfriend. I don't want to see pictures of your food you are eating. I don't want to read a thinly veiled attack on a friend you just got in a fight with. I don't give a flying **** that you decided to stay in tonight drinking margaritas and watching some ****ty movie on Netflix. (Let's be honest, you do that every Friday night.)

I have unsubscribed from over half my facebook friends because of stupid **** like this. It would be satisfying to post this on facebook, but then I would be breaking my own rule. I love facebook and use it all the time, but people need to learn how to use it properly, which most of the time means shutting up.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #47
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
There's your mistake. I never have or never will post anything controversial on facebook. At best, you will get people who agree with you, but most likely you will also piss off a lot of people.
Yeah, I just wanted some outside opinions and discussion on something we were talking about at work. It's frustrating to me that we can't have a normal discussion without someone taking things personally or making it personal. That's the problem.

Quote:
I am 25 and all my good friends and I keep our facebook updates to a minimum and steer clear of any controversy. It goes beyond politics, too. I don't want to hear about how you just ran three miles. I don't care that you checked into a boring restaurant with your clingy girlfriend. I don't want to see pictures of your food you are eating. I don't want to read a thinly veiled attack on a friend you just got in a fight with. I don't give a flying **** that you decided to stay in tonight drinking margaritas and watching some ****ty movie on Netflix. (Let's be honest, you do that every Friday night.)

I have unsubscribed from over half my facebook friends because of stupid **** like this. It would be satisfying to post this on facebook, but then I would be breaking my own rule. I love facebook and use it all the time, but people need to learn how to use it properly, which most of the time means shutting up.
What do you use your FB for?

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #48
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
Yeah, I just wanted some outside opinions and discussion on something we were talking about at work. It's frustrating to me that we can't have a normal discussion without someone taking things personally or making it personal. That's the problem.

What do you use your FB for?
Staying in touch with friends, organizing and finding events, sharing photos, promoting my brewery, keeping up with the brewing industry, following record labels and artists I like, looking at girls photos for bikini shots

Don't get me wrong, I love facebook. People who delete facebook usually never used it much in the first place. If you get annoyed, just unsubscribe from people until your news feed is just good stuff. I usually give someone one chance, but if they keep it up, they're out. I never defriend anyone because I think that's petty and mean, though.

I am friends with a lot of my parents' friends, and I gotta say that their generation is so much worse than mine with this ****. Just an endless spew of polarizing political bull****. I thought people knew not to talk politics in polite company...why is facebook any different?

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #49
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Facebook is too exciting. Every morning I hurry to my computer to find out what horrible things I wrote to friends, family, and colleagues on Facebook the night previous while under the complete control of that which obliterates precious inhibition.

Without this morning procedure my day would be stable and dull. I would have to resort of a new sort of ritual humiliation. Therefore I vote nay.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #50
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99

So I express my opinion and you get on me for it? I rest my case.

Oh, don't worry...this isn't really on my case like usually in a political forum, but hopefully you see the irony in your post.

"THICK SKIN A MUST!" Hmmm.... sounds like I might have to do some exploring.
No, I can't say I see the irony in simply expressing a disagreement. You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine. I didn't call you names, insult you, or any of the things you said political discussions degrade into.

Fake it til you make it.

Quick Reply