Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Deleted my Facebook profile and it feels GREAT. Highly recommended!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #31
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
I rest my case.
Well, I guess if you equate occasional name calling to an overall atmosphere of disrespect, then ok.... to me there's a significant distinction between the how the OP presented things and what exists in our debate forum.

So you can rest your case, but if I'm on the jury, I'm unconvinced.

Fake it til you make it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I never have, nor will understand why "debates" come to name calling and personal insults. The most I can say is "I think you are wrong" But name calling and jabs, does nothing more than show a complete lack of debate/conversational skills. I find my self wanting to say "grow-up" a heck of a lot more than the desire to say "f**k off" That's annoying.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
I never have, nor will understand why "debates" come to name calling and personal insults.
I think the question implied in your first sentence, above, is answered as well as it can by by your third sentence, below.

Quote:
But name calling and jabs, does nothing more than show a complete lack of debate/conversational skills.

Fake it til you make it.

Roadliner Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #34
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

lol. Fair enough

Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
isurf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just deleted mine, thanks for the inspiration

Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #36
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Awesome, glad I got some good feedback and support!

I used my FB to keep tabs on friends and family too and didn't post much. I realized though that I already keep in touch with them in person, so I wasn't losing much there. I didn't put stupid things up like "going to lunch, omg!" or "taking a deuce, txt it!" lol

I also started to realize that I didn't really care about what my old friends that I haven't talked to since high school were doing every day. If I run into them in person I'd gladly ask "how's it going" but constant everyday **** that they post, or a thousand pictures of their kid eating food.. who effin cares? I honestly don't.

I do, however, miss the opportunity to connect if there is something I need. It was easy access to numbers and emails if I did need to reach out. Also, event info. That's the only things I miss though.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #37
MetallHed
Recipes 

Quote:
I never have, nor will understand why "debates" come to name calling and personal insults. The most I can say is "I think you are wrong" But name calling and jabs, does nothing more than show a complete lack of debate/conversational skills. I find my self wanting to say "grow-up" a heck of a lot more than the desire to say "f**k off" That's annoying.
Some people on there honestly did respond with point/counterpoint discussion and were calm about it. I did. But my landlord/family friend threw her two cents in with "I worry for you. You need to get checked out. I think you are bitter and depressed and need to seek some help to get you through whatever it is bothering you." All because I didn't agree with her. Seriously, wtf is up with that?

Her husband started out saying he was "an a-political cynic" then went on to tell me that I am too poor to vote republican and that I need ObamaCare. He also said it blows his mind on how I can't see that I'm wrong. How does an a-political person come out and say something like that? Plus that was the comments that was on my wedding videos which had NOTHING to do with politics.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #38
MetallHed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Not everyone has issues with FB. The software is not evil. The way some people use it can be frustrating.

I use it a few times a week. I don't understand how people can get "addicted" to it. I've found it very handy for sending and receiving some messages to some people.

The simple thing is to weed out the people who you know you won't care to hear from, resist when you know your response is going to be taken as mean or insulting, even if they deserve it, and not get bent out of shape when someone else has a different opinion on something.

I have several 'friends' who are not related to me and frankly aren't that close. I usually appreciate their posts. And I don't have my MIL or FIL on there because of the BS I had to put up with when they split. No reason given. Just removed. They never asked and it's so much better to just remove than to argue with them in a semi-public place.
I didn't post on other people's stuff regarding politics, but jeeze some of the ignorant things that were posted just got me going. Then I'd get pissy and my wife didn't really appreciate it. lol

I did go through and delete friends and hide others from the newsfeed, but I just decided that stepping away all together was even better, and it is.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
pdxbg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had been meaning to do this for months now for many of the same reasons as previously mentioned. I have grown very tired of the mindless posts that people make or the ambushing that seems to occur when various topics are brought up.

Only reason I neglected to do it for so long is I keep in contact with relatives and friends from out of town via Facebook as it was sometimes easier to send a message than to give somebody a call. A poor excuse.

Finally did it today after reading this thread and a few annoyances over the past week or two.

Looking forward to not knowing what everybody is eating or how they wished they were doing anything else than what they are doing.

Primary #1 - Pale Ale
Primary #2 - Nut Brown
Secondary #1 - Air
Secondary #2 - Air

Bottled:
Pumpkin Ale

Kegged:
#1 - Bourbon Vanilla Porter
#2 - Red Rye
#3 - Cider
#4 - Empty.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #40
ronsky
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
I deactivated mine in August. I never kept much personal info on there, didn't see why FB needed my cell # and address and I always use a fake birthday on websites anyway.
I still have my google+ account which has even less information on it. I use it strictly for games and have 500+ "friends" who I don't even know.
I am on google+. My fear is that it will eventually turn into the mental diahrea that I feel TwitFace has turned into.

Quick Reply