Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Deleted my Facebook profile and it feels GREAT. Highly recommended!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
MetallHed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Deleted my Facebook profile and it feels GREAT. Highly recommended!

This year in politics has driven a lot of people mad, I swear. More so than ever people are taking/making things personal and ruining/straining relationships over opinions and it's just rediculous. I live in Wisconsin so between the whole governer stuff going on and the presidential elections a lot of mud has been slinging.

I have opinions and while I generally keep to myself, I do like to get other view points to possibly see things differently. So, I'd post stuff on FB to get a discussion going... but it seems people don't like to have a "discussion." They'd prefer insults, arguing, and being rude and disrespectful. It was overwelming. I started to get seriously irritated and pissy IRL because of some stuff.

After one of our VERY good family friends (practically family) started bashing me on a video from my wedding about my views, I'd had enough. Deleted the whole dang thing. (Technically you can't delete your FB profile, just deactivate, but still..)

It's been great and I highly recommend it to anyone. I had also gotten into the routine of checking my phone and comp every chance I could to look at FB. I have no idea why... it was weird when I looked at what I was doing. I wanted to stop. Now it's like I have more time in the day to do stuff.. productive stuff. lol

So I guess I'll be spending more time on HBT looking at how I can waste more money on beer.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels
JordanThomas Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Facebook is a terrible forum for politics, for exactly the reasons you mention. Its not a real discussion. It quickly spins out of control to sound bites and insults, and I think that's a function of the short nature of typical facebook posts and comments. Technically you can write a novel outlining well thought out beliefs, but in general the format favors quick, one or two sentence comments.

So I do my very best to avoid political discussions on FB. I mostly succeed. Mostly.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Heh. Actually I rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and I wasn't even talking politics, that was just the straw that broke the camels back. The Packers was the other hot topic (as stupid as that sounds). I got messages saying to "f**k off" amongst a rash of people deleting me. Sweet jesus I know some touchy people. lol

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
Heh. Actually I rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and I wasn't even talking politics, that was just the straw that broke the camels back. The Packers was the other hot topic (as stupid as that sounds). I got messages saying to "f**k off" amongst a rash of people deleting me. Sweet jesus I know some touchy people. lol
Yeah, people get worked the hell up over sports teams. You say anything negative and its like you called their baby ugly.

I always find it interested how vested we can get in sports teams given that we have zero impact on their success or failure. But it doesn't stop us from being all proud when they win (as if we had anything to do with it). And I say we because I am not immune. I actually shed a tear when Vanderbilt won their bowl game in 2008. Doesn't make any sense, but I did.

Fake it til you make it.

MetallHed Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

From my observations, any forum or forum type place is a poor place to discuss politics because ineviably it degenerates into the same thing.

Anyway, congrats on shuttin' 'er down!

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

MetallHed Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
From my observations, any forum or forum type place is a poor place to discuss politics because ineviably it degenerates into the same thing.

Anyway, congrats on shuttin' 'er down!
Eh, we actually have a lot of meaningful discussion in the debate forum here. Granted, there is still some name calling and closed-mindedness, but the majority of the discussion is thoughtful and meaningful.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed
This year in politics has driven a lot of people mad, I swear. More so than ever people are taking/making things personal and ruining/straining relationships over opinions and it's just rediculous. I live in Wisconsin so between the whole governer stuff going on and the presidential elections a lot of mud has been slinging.

I have opinions and while I generally keep to myself, I do like to get other view points to possibly see things differently. So, I'd post stuff on FB to get a discussion going... but it seems people don't like to have a "discussion." They'd prefer insults, arguing, and being rude and disrespectful. It was overwelming. I started to get seriously irritated and pissy IRL because of some stuff.

After one of our VERY good family friends (practically family) started bashing me on a video from my wedding about my views, I'd had enough. Deleted the whole dang thing. (Technically you can't delete your FB profile, just deactivate, but still..)

It's been great and I highly recommend it to anyone. I had also gotten into the routine of checking my phone and comp every chance I could to look at FB. I have no idea why... it was weird when I looked at what I was doing. I wanted to stop. Now it's like I have more time in the day to do stuff.. productive stuff. lol

So I guess I'll be spending more time on HBT looking at how I can waste more money on beer.
What's 'Facebook'?

My Beer Cellar

Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
iBrewR
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So, you're saying that you have no self control and that abstinence is the only answer for you?

Fine. But to highly recommend it to others . . . .

What's next? We're all suppose quit drinking and join AA?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
TheKeg81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd

Eh, we actually have a lot of meaningful discussion in the debate forum here. Granted, there is still some name calling and closed-mindedness, but the majority of the discussion is thoughtful and meaningful.
I will second this. I have been watching a few threads here, and aside from a few individuals they have been pretty good discussions.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
VegasJ
Internet Toughguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I cleared out all pictures & 'likes' from wasted Spacebook last month. I kept close friends & family then stepped away from it for about a week.

It was awesome.

Quick Reply