LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Deck Care

I bought my house about a year ago. It looks like the previous owner replaced some boards on the deck and stained the entire thing to make it look nice to sell. A year later, it doesn't look so nice, it is under some pine trees, etc.

I bought some Deck Wash and used that, worked well, I think one more treatment and a brush will clean everything off.

Should I treat the deck with anything?

I would [really] prefer not to have to stain it. I think you can apply Thompson's water seal over stains, but I am not sure if I really need to. I am not so worried about keeping the deck looking perfect, just want to make sure that I am keeping the wood protected so I don't have to replace the deck anytime soon.

Just thought I would ask if anyone knows about this stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm not sure the BEST stuff to use, but I've heard nothing but bad things about Thompson's. I've got to stain my deck this spring, so I am interested in hearing what people have had good success with as a sealer.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

I have never heard anything bad about Thompson's either and that is what I am leaning towards using, probably the tinted stuff to match the stain that is there now.

I just wasn't sure if it needed it, how long to satins protect?

Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Read my post again - I've never heard anything GOOD about Thompson's.

I used a Cabot sealer on my fence, although it's debateable how good a job that's done. But, I was strongly advised to NOT use Thompson's when I began tackling that project.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I wash my deck with "deck wash" and rinse and apply a see-through stain every two years. That stain is a deck stain, so it's not slippery, and it protects the wood. When I first built the deck, I had to do it yearly as that is what's recommended for new decks but not it's every two years. I would NOT use Thompson's water seal or any other sealer.

Now if you don't want to stain it, your options are very limited. They do make a clear stain, though.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Oh wow, I did mis-read that post.

Hmm...maybe I won't use the Thompson's then. . .

I know stain will work and I don't really care about the color, but it is a lot of work

What have you heard bad about Thompson's, just curious?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
fshnne1
Recipes 

I use thompsons on my deck and my hot tub both have been fine, and look like the day I put them in

Old 04-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

powerwasher and a sealer, at least that's what I've been told about my deck...

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 04-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
powerwasher and a sealer, at least that's what I've been told about my deck...
What kind of sealer?

Honestly, I am looking for something I can spray on with the pump sprayer that I use to apply the "deck wash."

Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I'm not trying to convice you, trust me- but applying a sealant is the same process as applying a stain. It's the same basic thing, but stain can have color and the sealant is a clear sealer, IIRC.

Stain application:
Application Methods: Clear Coatings can be applied by a variety of methods including brush, spray, roller and pad. Brushing is considered to be the best technique for detail work such as spindles and railings. However, for large horizontal deck surfaces, spray application is quickest and easiest. Either airless power sprayers or pump hand-held sprayers can be used. It is important when spray applying finishes to back brush or back roll the wet coating. This evens out the finish and eliminates drips and lap marks. Pads are also well suited to coat decks. Individual boards should be coated along their entire length to prevent lap marking. Paint rollers are more suitable for applying siding finishes than for deck coatings. However, they can be used successfully to apply clear finishes and water repellants to decks. As for most exterior coatings, it is vital that deck finishes be applied under proper weather conditions. Solvent borne coatings are a bit more forgiving than water-based formulations and can usually be applied when outside temperatures are in the range of 40-90°F. Water-based products should not usually be applied if outside temperatures will fall below 50°F within 24 hours after application. Deck coatings ideally should not be applied if precipitation is forecast for the 12-24 hour period after coating. This will prevent the possibility of water spotting or wash-off. Once they dry, of course, these finishes will be resistant to precipitation.

From the Thompson website: Do not mix with other waterproofing products; variations in the final appearance of the surface being treated may result.
Do not thin.
A small trial patch should be tried before application over the entire surface.
Only one light coat is necessary in most applications.
Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style sprayer is the simplest method. Regardless of which application method used, remove puddles within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.
Use only with adequate ventilation.
Oiliness and tackiness will result if over-applied or applied to wet or damp surface, or if overnight temperature falls below 50° F within 48 hours of application.

Seems to me that you can spray whichever you want. I use a mop handle and lambswool applicator, and "swab the deck".

Quick Reply