Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > decent cigars?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
CoachMcguirk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default decent cigars?

what are some reasonably priced brands that are medium to small in size that are good for someone new to cigar smoling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
freyguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't smoke them too often, but I generally like the standard Macanudo's. They aren't harsh at all.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with freyguy, Macanudo is a great cigar for someone new to cigars, just get the basic Macanudo in corona size/shape -- or for a treat their Hyde Park Cafe is a nice one, a bit bigger but still mild with nice flavor. I also used to enjoy the Macanudo Ascots, they come in a tin of 8 or 10 and are small so great for a commute (car ride) home from work or a reasonable "out on the porch" smoke when it's cold (or hot) out.
You will also like Ashtons, and probably Avo's.
Generally you can ask the tobacconist for a mild to medium bodied Dominican cigar and you'll be set.
Some of the Baccarat cigars from Nicaragua can be mild and nice, and fair priced. Be careful, some Nicaraguan cigars and some Honduran cigars can be pretty strong. Also, the Te-amo cigars are a bit stronger flavored (Mexican).
Enjoy -- I love cigars, don't get to relax with one often enough. Actually, maybe right now would be a perfect time to step out for a cigar, it's been a while, and my mid-year review is tomorrow - so some relaxation is in order....

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 AM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Im not sure who makes it but its called a playboy, its a pretty good cigar. BTW i am not a big cigar person.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
the_Roqk

Recipes 

CAO makes some good cigars both medium and small ones in tins. Best place is to go to a smoke shop and look around in the humidors. Ask the counter help if they've smoked any and see what is recommended. Usually it takes time and just try some till you get the ones you really like. A good cigar and homebrew are one of life's greatest pleasures!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
tron
Recipes 

best advice I can give is to buy a small quantity of cigars, like a 5 pack which you can get off of many websites i like famous-smoke.com, but get a large variety of cigars. Also try all sorts of sizes even though you may like the feel of smaller cigars you might be surprised at the taste difference of a larger cigar like a churchill versus something like a petit robusto. Another big thing is to not be misled by the color of the cigar, I have had some light colored cigars that were powerful and overbearing and some dark cigars ive tried have been real mellow and pleasant to smoke. A good thing to consider when starting out is to stick with more of the main stream brands since they will most of the time offer the best quality and consistency. But yeah like someone else said macanudo is a good cigar along with CAO, Punch, Partagas, Romeo Y Julieta, these four are some of my favorite brands. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply