Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dead End Jobs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Dextersmom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dead End Jobs

Ever wake up in the morning already tense because you didn't sleep well due to the stress of the previous work day and anxiety over the coming work day? Ever wake up fearing the commute and how much later you'll have to stay at work depending on how late you get to work? Ever get to work already stressed and then have to deal with an uneducated supervisor that simply spews out the corporate hogwash that her supervisor spews to her without much if any sincerity or respect for who you are and what you can bring to the department? Constantly having your ideas shot down because they're not the ones your supervisor came up with, having to deal with fellow employees that take 22 explanations to understand something and still don't fully get it, while it only takes you 1 and yet when you mess up 1 in probably 50 you get the hammer brought down on you. 1 in 50 when your fellow employees are only doing a fraction of the work you're doing...oh but they don't mess up "quality over quantity." well mine is quality asshole i just made a small mistake most likely a typo.

Ever wake up feeling like there is no control? Can't go back to school for more education because you really don't know what will make you happy to be doing. Can't interview for new employment because you're either drastically under or over quallified for the positions. Don't want to revert to the food service way of life. Been jealous of everyone else who seems to easily slip into such great opportunities, or enjoy being a grey corporate drone for the machine.

I just don't get it. People tell me..." go into business for yourself...you'll love it." well to do that you need money....i don't care what they say about loans...you still need a good chunk before you can even think about doing that....how do you get that money...well you waste away the best portion of your healthy years trying to come up with it...then when you finally do you're too tired of it all and decide to retire or worse.

I wish i knew what to do here....i've been sick of my employment for a little over a year now, interviewing on and off. getting jobs that are below my skill level and not getting ones that are slightly above or right in my "wheelhouse." at this pace i'm going to have a nervous break-down before i reach 30....be committed to a psych ward and only allowed to play with finger paints for the rest of my years.....I need a break, a window, an opportunity...something damnit!

ugh sorry for the rant, thanks for listening, i'm sure i'm not the only one to go through this...any suggestion or advice if anyone has gone through this before?

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
LostDakota

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersmom
Ever wake up feeling like there is no control? Can't go back to school for more education because you really don't know what will make you happy to be doing. Can't interview for new employment because you're either drastically under or over quallified for the positions. Don't want to revert to the food service way of life. Been jealous of everyone else who seems to easily slip into such great opportunities, or enjoy being a grey corporate drone for the machine.
You. Have. No. Idea, my friend. I started this week of with the worst case of the Mondays ever.

The thing that helps me through my day is simply not caring. It sounds stupid and juvenille, but I find that if you don't put alot of yourself into a job you hate, it won't follow you home. I used to worry about things I would have to do tomorrow, but it really isn't worth it. I was giving myself the Mr. Fantastic hairdo (read grey at the temples) at the age of 25. It really isn't worth it to harbor such greif and anxiety.

The best advice i ever got about this sort of thing was, "Sometimes you just have to say F*CK!" (I guess it only made sense to me at the time, but try it out.)

or

Get druck and watch Office Space
drewmika.com

Quote:
In the words of the great Colonel Sanders...
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thats what i forgot to mention...i basically live office space....i spend most of my day on this forum...I can tell you that i've learned more about beer in the past two months than i have about anything ever in my life.....

i tried not caring and to an extent it helps....but i think the huge kicker is i chose a poor career path in college and in order to rectify it i'd need to go back.. but i'd need to know what i'd want to do which i do not.

blech

Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hey, why the hell do they show that movie on Sunday nights?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You're not alone man. Do not let it lead you to break down. Stress kills and life's too short to let work drive you crazy!

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

My last 2 years of Active duty Air Force.

I was not allowed to work, I had to watch the Airmen do the work. WTH? They were working 12 hr shifts for no reason. I was working 9s for no reason. I deployed several times only to come back to the same crap, working next to civillians making 5 times what I am. All the while unable to trust my boss wont completely screw me over every chance he gets.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ugh i try not to....thats why i picked up this awesome hobby....

and why the hell do they show that movie on sunday nights? wtf?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am fairly optimistic that my field of work won't lead me to that. If it does, I will go another route. If I don't enjoy what I am doing I can't do it for any extended period of time. The way I see it is if everything sucks so bad, and since I don't think money is everything, I can always quit and become a ski bum at my favorite resort (nice to have a backup plan eh?)

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
I am fairly optimistic that my field of work won't lead me to that. If it does, I will go another route. If I don't enjoy what I am doing I can't do it for any extended period of time. The way I see it is if everything sucks so bad, and since I don't think money is everything, I can always quit and become a ski bum at my favorite resort (nice to have a backup plan eh?)

money isn't everything but i'd like to own a house with a yard rather than thrown my money way by renting....i mean there are things i can do instead..but they won't pay my bills, and they will run my life, not that my life isn't being run by fear and anxiety right now....god i need a beer lol. maybe thats my problem...i stopped drinking during the week a year ago...perhaps i should pick it up again.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersmom
... but i'd need to know what i'd want to do which i do not.
No, you don't need to know what you want to do with the rest of your life in order to make a change now.

Waiting until you "feel ready" or have an extra college degree or whatever is procrastination thinking.

Inertia is hard to overcome, but if you want change in your life you have to be the one to make it happen.

This idea we Americans have, that we should all have a grand plan for our lives and know what we want to be is just bullsh!t, IMO. It leads to a lot of stress and unhappiness.

The important thing is just to find something better than what you have now. It doesn't have to be perfect, just better. Simply making a change can open up opportunities you never knew existed before.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Quick Reply