Dayton Airshow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you guys are into aviation (i know there are a few pilots), but my dad and I went to the Dayton airshow this past weekend. My dad is good friends with the chairman of the airshow, so we got the VIP treatment. The show didn't start til Saturday, but we flew in on Friday were able to ride in a P-51 mustang, and a Huey helicopter. We were also able to watch the Blue Angels rehearse, and meet the pilots after.

Some of the video from Friday (the guy being flown in the mustang is the chairman):

On Saturday, prior to the airshow, my dad and I got to fly in the Wright "B" Flyer, which uses the same plans as the wright brothers 1911 flyer, updated using modern materials, more horsepower, and a better steering system. While the plane is "modernized, the experience is the same as it was 100 years ago. This was not part of the airshow. My dad met Amanda Wright Lane (great grandneice of the Wright brothers) at the airshow a few years ago and they have kept in touch. This plane has been in operation for 25 years. A plane identical to this one, built in 2010 crashed during a test flight last year killing both pilots. Didn't find that out until after we'd flown. The flight was short, but it was thrilling. The reason it was so short is because this plane is still classified as an experimental aircraft, and in order to leave the boundaries of the runway, there must be 2 pilots.

Here are the Blue Angels performing during the show on Saturday.

More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back