Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dave Mustaine = Lipsyncer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
i beleave thats nick on the drums so thats old !
and anyway you cant look at a live large recording and asume its dubbed
just look at what thay did at the last wood stock to try sync the monitor towers becase the spped of sound was too slow to keep every thing jiveing,
that and i know dave uses a vocal compresser,, i really think you need to do some study on live sound production and directional high end mics useding compressers..... the video is the speed if light if the speakers have 500 foot runs from the amp and vocal pre amps to the sound board and then to the main amps and then to the monitors there can be a real delay
and with a directional mic you can be 1 foot away... and if you are using floor monitors you really dont want some omi mic
So wait, are you saying you don't think it's overdubbed but just a perception issue?
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
MikeG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It's clearly not the studio recording lyrics. It seems to me that it's more trouble that it's worth to record a "live" version of the lyrics and lip-sync that.

It's also possible that that mic is not live and he's using one of those "invisible" booms that attach to your head and the mic is just a prop.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #23
Kumputer
Recipes 

I just saw this concert while flipping through channels, and I'd consider myself a fairweather Megadeth fan, but anyway, I'm pretty much 95% sure it's a sync job. As I'm watching it now actually, it just bugged me so much that I did a google search for "dave mustaine lip sync", and I found myself here. The more I watched it, it seemed more clear that all the instrumentation was live or mostly live since every hand movement seemed to match what I was hearing quite well. But the more I watched Dave's mouth (or tried to), I started to think, did I miss something? Did Dave hurt his throat severely at some point and is now unable to sing, and so he has to do this in order to plat shows? Does everybody know this and accept it? Apparently it's not public knowledge.

I can see that it's not a live vocal performance for 4 reasons really:

1) He's not pushing or performing convincingly in a manner that sounds like what I'm hearing. He really just looks like he's mumbling.

2) There are many times where the lips simply don't match the syncopation of the recording (out of sync)

3) The angle of the microphone he's using isn't right. It's pointing up at the ceiling, and his mouth is usually off axis, which in a live performance would be much less than ideal as it would sound too dull to pick up anything useful especially since they're using stage monitors rather than in-ear monitors which makes for a very noisy stage, and using eq to compensate for dull vocals would bring out an unacceptable amount of ambient noise bleed. Also it seems like the mic was positioned that way to hide his face.

4) His farewell address (goodnight San Diego) at the end of the show indeed DID seem to be a live performance, but his voice sounded extremely messed up and hoarse, in stark contrast to what was heard during the musical performances which sounded way too tight.

My guess is that the vocals were performed live for everyone who was actually at the show, but in post production, they found the lead vocals to be mediocre, weak, with excessive stage noise, not acceptable for TV. Dave came in for a studio recording pass and they completely replaced the original vocal track, since even if some parts of the live vocal were performed well, they likely did not sonically match the studio pass, which would be far too distracting and obvious to mix and match.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #24
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

Umm... Welcome to HomeBrewTalk?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

lol, good resurrection...bad mustaine.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #26
MetalFan
Recipes 

I actually am watching the very same video mentioned in the original post.

Not even 10 seconds into watching I thought "Wow, is Mustaine lip syncing???" and had to google search for info. Found this post. Absolutely 100% agree. Lip syncing is for Britney Spears, and pop stars. Very produced sound, and Mustaine clearly put no effort into his vocals. I also have heard him live before and when he actually sang he sounded horrible. So that was another tip off for me.

Big thumbs down.... lots of respect lost, unless he had a legitimate reason for lip syncing (ex. throat problems).

edit: lol @ kumputer's post, as I did the exact same thing to get here.

Edit2: actually some of the songs it's a bit more convincing, but Sleepwalker was just brutally obvious that it was lip synced.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:01 AM   #27
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

guys come one ,, its you-tube.. when you re-encode video from one format to the next it is very common for the audio to become off sync,, have you guys never downloaded pirated moives?
most of time thay are ripped from a dvd in the mpg2 format and re-encoded to xvid dvix or some other mp4 codec , and; on the old ones , crappy ones and thoes done by neophytes the audio is always off, the audio and video are to complety defernt data streams and it most common formats there are no times stamps to help keep the encoder in time.

but hell who knows maybe he is but i have seen him before and he had no qualms about squaking at us live

Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My OP clearly says "on some HD channel", not youtube. The audio wasn't out of sync. As a drummer, I would have seen that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #29
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Damn, it must say something when HBT comes up as the number one google result for things other than beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #30
theonecynic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
it's too bad he's such a great guitar player because otherwise he's an egomaniacal douche.
Never a truer word spoken my son! Looks like Big Dave is taking the easy route these days... Likewise, I'm glad to say that the two times I saw them, they didn't seem to be doing this! (And Jimmy DeGrasso was awesome!)
Barrel 1: Empty
Barrel 2: Empty
Barrel 3: Riggwelter Clone - Conditioning
Barrel 4: Empty
Barrel 5: Empty
Barrel 6: Leaky
Bottled: None

Tags
don't double deuche

Quick Reply