Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dangers of a yeast bank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
bashe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dangers of a yeast bank

Three weeks ago I made an Irish Red. I have a good stash of yeast so I thought I'd try some WLP550, Belgian Ale. Well I accidentally grabbed the WLP300, Hefeweizen. So now I have a red that smells like a heff with a little irish red in the background. I'm kegging today so I'll have a taste in a few weeks. I think I'll call it Red Heffner.

Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Isn't more a danger of not labeling your yeast?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

So, you just played a version of the magic brewing 8 ball...Good on you then!!!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/cant...ry-tool-88280/

You never know, you might have something to enter category 23 of a competition...

Quote:
* 23. Specialty Beer

This is explicitly a catch-all category for any beer that does not fit into an existing style category. No beer is ever “out of style” in this category, unless it fits elsewhere.

The category is intended for any type of beer, including the following techniques or ingredients:

* Unusual techniques (e.g., steinbier, ice/eis beers)
* Unusual fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, honey, molasses, sorghum)
* Unusual adjuncts (e.g., oats, rye, buckwheat, potatoes)
* Combinations of other style categories (e.g., India Brown Ale, fruit-and-spice beers, smoked spiced beers)
* Out-of-style variations of existing styles (e.g., low alcohol versions of other styles, extra-hoppy beers, “imperial” strength beers)
* Historical, traditional or indigenous beers (e.g., Louvain Peetermann, Sahti, vatted Porter with Brettanomyces, Colonial Spruce or Juniper beers, Kvass, Grätzer)
* American-style interpretations of European styles (e.g., hoppier, stronger, or ale versions of lagers) or other variants of traditional styles
* Clones of specific commercial beers that aren’t good representations of existing styles
* Any experimental beer that a brewer creates, including any beer that simply does not evaluate well against existing style definitions

This category can also be used as an “incubator” for any minor world beer style (other than Belgians) for which there is currently no BJCP category. If sufficient interest exists, some of these minor styles might be promoted to full styles in the future. Some styles that fall into this grouping include:

* Honey Beers (not Braggots)
* Wiess (cloudy, young Kölsch)
* Sticke Altbier
* Münster Altbier
* Imperial Porter
* Classic American Cream Ale
* Czech Dark Lager
* English Pale Mild
* Scottish 90/-
* American Stock Ale
* English Strong Ale
* Non-alcoholic “Beer”
* Kellerbier
* Malt Liquor
* Australian Sparkling Ale
* Imperial/Double Red Ale
* Imperial/Double Brown Ale
* Rye IPA
* Dark American Wheat/Rye

Note that certain other specialty categories exist in the guidelines. Belgian Specialties or clones of specific Belgian beers should be entered in Category 16E. Christmas-type beers should be entered in Category 21B (unless they are Belgian Christmas-type beers; these should be entered in 16E). Beers with only one type of fruit, spice, herbs, vegetables, or smoke should be entered in Categories 20-22. Specialty meads or ciders should be entered in their respective categories (26C for meads, 28D for ciders).

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
bashe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Isn't more a danger of not labeling your yeast?
The sad part is that it was labled...
Beer Blog

Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashe View Post
The sad part is that it was labled...
You should re-title your thread to " the dangers of being numb above the neck."

Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
bashe
Recipes 

I put this been on tap over the weekend, all I can say is that I'm glad my roommate will drink anything.

Beer Blog

Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

LOL.. a red hefe! I've had some weird red ales, but that is over the top..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply