Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dangerous Dogs?
View Poll Results: Is it breed or owners that make dogs dangerous?
All pitbulls and Rottwielers are dangerous 23 12.92%
Its the owners that make them dangerous 133 74.72%
Ralph Nader fights Gerbals to the death! 22 12.36%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dangerous Dogs?

In light of the Mr. Vick dog fighting allegations going around i got to thinking:

are pitbulls and rottwielers inherently dangerous or is it the owners who make the dogs dangerous?

Something to consider:

No matter the calibur of the golden lab owner, those dogs never seem to attack anyone who did not provoke them. Lick them, yes, bite them i think that is rare.

your thoughts?

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think training has some to do with it. Most of the pitbulls and rottweilers I have had experience withwere pretty viscious but they were also roaming free with apparently no training or discipline possible no actual home (I was also a letter carrier I should add). They have been bred for generations to be viscious so, yes it has been ingrained in them.

i look at it like this, any dog has the potential for attack even ones with mild reputations. You do not always know what will provoke a dog. I beleive they have a better sense of other animals (including the fur-less two legged type) and can judge a person right away and might not like what they sense. ( I believe brian wilsons "good vibrations" by the beach boys was actually about this... )

I was bitten by a golden retriever once...

course, my dog was fighting with it! Doh! that was a lesson learnt.

edit, and I just saw the poll. I voted Nadar cause I think it isn't that black and white.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

owners pure and simple. Problems with pit's and rot's are that they are just so strong so when they are not brought up right and attack it ends up badly.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While I agree Ryan i would like to site all of the news articles where an owner is defending the dog saying "he has never biten anyone in his life and has always been a loving dog", this as they are watching emergency room docs sew their childs face on.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I have a pitbull mix and she's the sweetest thing ever...She's also scared of EVERYTHING. Whenever we yell at one of the other dogs she hides and gets as close to the ground as she can get.

Out of our three dogs shes the most chill.

The people who used to live next to us had a GIANT pitbull named bear who was also really cool...almost never barked (just like lilly, our pitbull...she NEVER barks) and was always really nice to everyone.

I think it's people who treat/train them badly and the perseption that society has about them being killers and whatnot...

Seriously though the only dogs I've ever been bitten by are tiny little rats! My parents have a daushound who has bitten everyone in my family. And my friend has a chiuaua(SP?) who bit me once out of the blue....

I think it's bc they wish they were big dogs...

Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
capcrnch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are more recorded lab bites in the US then Pit Bull and Rotty combined.
With that said...
Obviously there are alot more labs in homes across the country.
Mine being one of them.
I own 2 labs actually, 1 pure, 1 mix.
These dogs wouldn't bite if they were being beaten (which is a bit saddening)..
My mother bred Rotts throughout the past 10-15 years (now helps run a Rotty rescue)..
My sister is a proud Pit owner.
None of those dogs have ever bitten or attacked.
Why?
Because of the way the dogs were raised and brought up.
I cant preach enough... TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.

A dog is much like a child.. Their early lives will shape their character throughout the upcoming years of its life. If brought up right, those dogs can be angels and the thought of a bite or an attack is the last thing out there.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC
While I agree Ryan i would like to site all of the news articles where an owner is defending the dog saying "he has never biten anyone in his life and has always been a loving dog", this as they are watching emergency room docs sew their childs face on.
well what gets me going is, these people that leave their little kids alone with their dogs. I do understand what you are saying though. When it comes down to it, dogs are still animals. BTW I have a friend that runs a small pit rescue and its amazing how mean and aggressive the dogs are when he gets them(I stay the hell away from them). But after a while they will just jump in your lap and lick you all over.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

you can never truly trust a dog with a child when they were abused as a pup...they can snap. that being said, pit bulls are absolute sweethearts. i've never met a pit i didn't adore, unless it was abused or mistreated. even the rescued ones are good dogs...they just need special care (like ANY rescued dog).

training is important and jealousy can become a factor. you need to acclimate your dog to other dogs and to people. a dog that spends its whole life with nothing but you will get jealous if you bring a woman and a child into your life. a dog who is brought up around lots of people and lots of other animals will not be agrressive towards them.

and yeah. dachsunds can be quite vicious

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

While I agree with all the comments to an extent (I personally love pits and rotts), and training is a huge part, the reason for the breeds are for fighting/protection. That means they inherited a protective instinct. I had a German shephard mix years ago and it was the same discussion. True, a good owner can have ANY kind of dog and it'll be great. But if you have a lax owner and a dog with those inherited characteristics, it could be disaster. Of course, you can take a sheepdog and with a poor owner, it'll be a mean dog. But as a rule, domineering dog breeds need strong owners. I think small dogs tend to be the meanest, and I would stay clear of any little dogs. They seem to just "snap" at times.

I've had labs and they are wonderful- but they can also be protective. If anyone would have approached my kids when they were little, he would have protected them. Same with pits and rotts- they do have that in them. I now have a collie who is the most submissive dog you'll ever meet. Female collies are known for being like that- that's why "Lassie" has always been a male! The UPS guy just scared my collie- she ran in the house. Not great for a watchdog- but she is 15 years old and deserves a break!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Of course they're dangerous, some of it's the breed, some has to do with the owners. My father-in-law works in the medical field. He's got multiple stories about unprevoked dog attacks (mostly pit bull) on kids that were carrying food or tripped on a sleeping dog, etc., when the dogs had never before shown any kind of agression. Whether you'd like to admit it or not, sometimes these dogs just snap and instinct takes over.

We've got a Shih Tsu. She couldn't hurt a thing, even if she tried. Best dog we've ever had.

Quick Reply