Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Damnit! I quit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #31
talleymonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Been thinking about chantix myself. I 'm going to see if my insurance covers it.

I used the patch before...didn't work. But it would make me trip in my dreams. I loved it. I'm talking crazy, lifelike, vivid dreams. I would put on a fresh patch when I went to bed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 02:45 AM   #32
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the day after my insurance started covering Chantix, I made an appt with my doc.

Nov 24th will be 17 months since I had a smoke.

I would recommend chantix to anyone looking to quit. While I did have some side effects, they weren't bad enough to bother me much.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #33
waterse
Recipes 

I quit cold turkey. Tried several times before but managed to make it stick this time. Not one in 22 months. I ran out of cigarettes on new years day in 2007 and just decided if I didn't buy any cigarettes I couldn't smoke. The psychology worked.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #34
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Sounds like, mentaly, you were ready to quit. Me, not so much but I feel I need to quit for my childs sake.
Yes, yes you do, but it really isn't going to work until you're truely ready to quit.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #35
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4944 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Well, as per Doc's recco. I took the pills for a week prior to actually quitting.

So far so good. I don't have the physical cravings like I have before but, as is evident in THIS post, I can't stop thinking about smoking and this day has been especially slow to spite me for it.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #36
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Just imagine how bad that sht is for you! There is literally nothing good about smoking. It's filling your lungs up with tar. It's potentially creating cancerous nodes that could make you die a horrific death. It's very likely going to cause emphysema and other conditions that could make you require oxygen in order to do the basic things in life like walking to the garage.

My friend's dad had smoking problems and near the end could not leave the room without a bottle of O2 (actually, he was bedridden the last bit). This guy was an engineer all his life and had all kinds of things he wanted to do around the house and had to call in my friend's husband and I just to do these simple things. It really made him depressed to have to do that.

I remember right near the end when I came by to help with something, and he asked me to buy him cigs. You could see the desperation in his eyes, and he felt bad for having asked, but I had to say no. I could not face my friend knowing that I bought her dad cigs when he was so bad. Thinking back now I believe I probably should have bought them anyway, since he was obviously so near the end, but I have to tell myself that if nobody else in his family was willing to buy them for him, then I had no business doing it.

Seeing someone in that condition can really make you think about things.

Quick Reply