Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Damnit! I quit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4943 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default Damnit! I quit!

Smoking that is.

Started a anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) to help.

Anyone use this to quit with any success?

Did you get the tingly, itchy, hotness effect from the first few doses?

Did the anti-depressant qualities help with your outlook on the world any?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post

Did you get the tingly, itchy, hotness effect from the first few doses?

I took Zyban (same as wellbutrin) to quit smoking for about 2 weeks and got the same tingly, itchiness you're talking about. I also got very restless (probably more related to not smoking than the medication). I quit it immediately and was told I was probably allergic to it. The itchy feeling I got was my body reacting to the zyban being processed by the liver.

However, since I had already gone a couple weeks without smoking, I just kept it up (already invested a lot of work into it fighting the temptations). I haven't had a smoke in more than 7 years.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I quit chewing (Same chemical, different fixation) the hottest Jalapeno and the hottest Cinnamon **** I could find would help to quill cravings.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

I quit in June with Chantix....Best damn way to quit ever. It's not an antidepressant that HAPPENS to help you quit smoking...it's a pill that first and foremost is made to help you quit smoking.

You smoke for a week while taking the pill, then wham, no more, no more cravings, no jonesing, no headaches, no edginess, no crappy detox for the first few days while the nicotine leaves your system, none of the side effects that you normally associate with any smooking cessastion product!

And definitly no "tingly itchiness" either.

You take the pill for 3 months, after the first week you take one in the morning and one in the afternoon...the dosage changes over time.

The only "side effect" i had is some minor dizziness on occasion...kinda like a tinge of nausea, like if you spun in a chair a couple times and stopped...nothing major.

(when that happened i ate some candied ginger, which I got a pound of at the bulk food store.)

I also sucked on atomic fireballs and other cinamon candies like BK did.

I can't rave highly enough about Chantix....it beats ALL the other products hands down.

Good luck

I have quit many times before and this is the first time that feels like it will stick...for one thing..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I'm debating giving Chantix a try. I've quit smoking a dozen-plus times, ranging from a week to three months, and it hasn't stuck yet.

At least I'm down to less than a pack a week .... even less than that if I don't get drunk @ the bars.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used Chantix like Revvy. I quit smoking after taking it for 2 week. I took Chantix for a total of 8 weeks. That was July '07.

In August of this year I began smoking again, but it's a pipe, and I don't inhale and there's no "cravings". I go days at a time without the pipe.

The thought of a cigarette disgusts me now.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post

I started on Welbutrin several years ago to quit smoking. I still smoke, but I noticed I never had any of the spells of depression that I frequently had. I never even realised I had a problem with depression until it went away. I had always thought there was something seriously wrong with how bread always lands butter side down, now I don't care as much.

In summary, I still smoke, but still take the happy pills.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I quit in June with Chantix....Best damn way to quit ever. It's not an antidepressant that HAPPENS to help you quit smoking...it's a pill that first and foremost is made to help you quit smoking.

You smoke for a week while taking the pill, then wham, no more, no more cravings, no jonesing, no headaches, no edginess, no crappy detox for the first few days while the nicotine leaves your system, none of the side effects that you normally associate with any smooking cessastion product!

And definitly no "tingly itchiness" either.

You take the pill for 3 months, after the first week you take one in the morning and one in the afternoon...the dosage changes over time.

The only "side effect" i had is some minor dizziness on occasion...kinda like a tinge of nausea, like if you spun in a chair a couple times and stopped...nothing major.

(when that happened i ate some candied ginger, which I got a pound of at the bulk food store.)

I also sucked on atomic fireballs and other cinamon candies like BK did.

I can't rave highly enough about Chantix....it beats ALL the other products hands down.

Good luck

I have quit many times before and this is the first time that feels like it will stick...for one thing..
Tried the Chantix and it didn't take for me. I was in my 8 month of taking it and was barely smoking at all. Then my wife, 1 year old son, and I took an International flight. 33 hours on the plane, ONE way! End of story. I couldn't smoke enough cigarettes fast enough. And a $12 pack of airport Marlboro's never tasted so good.

Thought about giving it another try but, my current insurance doesn't cover Chantix (too new I guess) and my Doc suggested Wellbutrin. Chantix without insurance would cost me $145 a month, I checked.

My son is paying attention to my smoking now and I have decided I HAVE to quit before he is old enough to remember that I smoked.
Geesh!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3522 Times on 3409 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome View Post
In summary, I still smoke, but still take the happy pills.
Now there's info that was self-evident.

I'm trying to quit dipping. I think I'll take BK's advice and then maybe I'll take his child-rearing advice and cuss at my children.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
I took Zyban (same as wellbutrin) to quit smoking for about 2 weeks and got the same tingly, itchiness you're talking about. I also got very restless (probably more related to not smoking than the medication). I quit it immediately and was told I was probably allergic to it. The itchy feeling I got was my body reacting to the zyban being processed by the liver.

However, since I had already gone a couple weeks without smoking, I just kept it up (already invested a lot of work into it fighting the temptations). I haven't had a smoke in more than 7 years.
So the Zyban didn't help to quell the cravings?

Quick Reply