Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Cycling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #21
julioardz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been an avid cyclist, both mountain and road, over the past 10 years or so. I use to race. I occasionally do some bike packing and light touring, but more than anything, I do regular recreational riding, grocery shopping, and some bike commuting nowadays. I find a good saddle and properly fitted bike to really do the trick. I have a Brooks Swallow on my road bike and a WTB Rocket on my mountain bike. I can easily ride 4+ hours on those without padded shorts. I wear athletic boxer briefs that wick away sweat and dry quickly as well as any athletic shorts over them. I had a bunch of loose padded shorts that I cut the pads out of and use them now over my briefs. For me, the pads are bulky and hot. They became unnecessary when I found good saddles that worked for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #22
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I stopped at Sports Chalet today but didn't like anything I saw.

This is one of the options I'm thinking of: http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...ke-shorts-mens

I probably won't get to trying any on until next week. This week is too crazy.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
Beernik
Recipes 

I found a pair of Novara baggy shorts with chamois on clearance at REI for $24. Picked up a Selle Royal mountain bike saddle for $60 too. I may go back and pick up some new grips next time I'm in the area.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I like cycling. I'm doing a 60 miles bikepacking trip next weekend. Ride to a rustic campground 60 miles away and camping for 3 days. My average ride is ~20 miles, mostly road/paved trail. I'm trying to get into mountain biking more, but it is kind of hard.

As for shorts, I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Li...mi+liner+short underneath basketball shorts. They are very comfortable on the bike. I also like that they are designed to be worn under clothing. I really don't like the MAMIL (middle-aged men in lycra) look, even it if it will increase my MPH by .03 MPH.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Beernik
Recipes 

I wanted baggy shorts not so much because I don't like the lycra/spandex look but because I want some pockets for my keys and phone.

I looked at liners but most don't have the chamois.

I got my last ride up to 13.7 miles. I would have gone longer but a storm was moving in and tumbleweeds were passing me.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #26
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Had to pop into this thread to see if there were any Iowans in here (or any cyclists going to be in Iowa this week). Sunday is the start of RAGBRAI 2013 -- the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. They start at the Missouri River on the west side of the state, and over the span of the next week, bike all the way to the Mississippi River on the east side of the state. One big sweat-soaked-spandex rolling party, peddling across Iowa. Daily routes usually average around 50 miles, but one day is always 75-85, with an optional loop to make it an even 100. Usually stops through at least a couple towns along the way. Last year the route went right past my back yard - was a steady stream of bikes from about 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Pretty impressive, considering the previous overnight stop was about 60 miles away, and that days overnight stop was another 15 miles down the road.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #27
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 765 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

I'm jumping into this thread to say, what a great Tour de France this year! Oh, Frome be clean! (BTW, I think cycling is the only sport that remotely is trying to clean up)

Old 07-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #28
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 86

My SWMBO and I will go out and rack up a 20 mi at least once a month. We have here in the north state a trail system called "The River Trail" It is about 60 miles of paved trails and about 60 or more miles of maintained dirt trails. The longest we have done together is a 60 mile round trip from our house to Shasta Dam across the dam and back home. The KILLER thing about the trail system is once your on it there is no car traffic and there is everything from flats to some MONSTER hills and every ride in between. The trail system runs through parks and next to the Sacramento River... It is KILLER!

I ride an older Trek road bike and my lovely bride rides my older mountain bike with slim tires. We don't go out to set any land speed records or anything just hang out together and get some exercise. We will average right at 15-16 MPH.

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I wanted baggy shorts not so much because I don't like the lycra/spandex look but because I want some pockets for my keys and phone.

I looked at liners but most don't have the chamois.

I got my last ride up to 13.7 miles. I would have gone longer but a storm was moving in and tumbleweeds were passing me.
Get a little pack to hang under the seat - they're great for keys, phone, spare inner tube, etc.

Unsolicited advice alert: Get it big enough to hold your stuff AND SWMBO's because she will make you hold her keys and phone too, and if you put a spare tube in there, get one of those ripstop Tyvek mailing envelopes and cut off a corner big enough to hold your tube and wrap the tube up in that. It keeps the keys from poking holes in your tube.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
Beernik
Recipes 

That's something I might look at doing in the spring. My mom told me last weekend that she found the Bianchi I bought when I was a kid, back in 1985. I guess it's been lurking in their cellar since I moved out. I can get it tuned up and put some gear on it. Then my wife can ride the Cannondale.

Quick Reply